New Permits For Pets

tybrax

LOGAN: One large porker on acreage may be OK under Logan City’s proposed new animal-keeping laws.

But try keeping 21 little guinea pigs anywhere in the city and you could be in trouble.

Logan City Council is streamlining the domestic-animal laws it inherited when it amalgamated with parts of Beaudesert and the Gold Coast.

New rules will cover the keeping of all domesticated animals from dogs and cats to farm animals such as pigs, cows, goats and horses.They will also cover chickens, geese, pigeons and loud, squawking birds such as cockatoos and galahs, and involve a $200 permit for most owners and $100 for pensioners.

Council animals and city standards committee chairman Cr Graham Able said a fee would cover the cost of checking the property was suitable and the animals were correctly housed.

Cr Able said the public would be able to comment on these proposed rules before they became law.

Unlike council’s new heavy-vehicle-parking laws which raised the ire of hundreds of truck owners in the city, Cr Able does not think the new animal laws will generate as much negativity.

Cr Sean Black disagrees, saying the new laws were just another incursion by council into people’s backyards and private lives.

Electrician Alvin Berry and his mate, Siale Ikafoli, who lease 8093sqm at Logan Reserve, said they would definitely have input into the new rules.

As well as raising a 272kg pet pig called Charley, the pair own 12 goats, 15 geese, four dogs and three cats.

Mr Berry said he would not be happy about paying multiple permits every year. ``It would be a bit pricey if it was every year and for every set of animals,’’ he said.

Cr Black said the new rules were ``just beyond nonsense’’ and just a money-raising exercise.

Cr Able said he had already spoken to a couple wanting to keep a little pig on 1300sqm and he had encouraged them to put their case forward during the public consultation phase.

Proposed new rules:

- One miniature horse or pony can be kept on a block larger than 4000sqm without a permit.

- One pig may be kept on a block between 2000sqm and 4000sqm with a permit, depending on the zoning.

- One sheep or goat can be kept on a minimum 2000sqm with a permit.

- A maximum of six guinea pigs can be kept without a permit, but a permit is needed to keep a maximum of 20 guinea pigs in an enclosure that is a minimum of 30 metres from houses.

- A minimum of 4000sqm is needed to keep one large animal such as a horse, cow, camel, deer, llama or alpaca.

- Chickens cannot be kept on blocks smaller than 450sqm. Up to six chickens or ducks can be kept on blocks between 450sqm and less than 10,000sqm without a permit. Up to 20 can be kept on this same size block with a permit so long as the coop is a minimum of 15 metres from houses.

- Up to 40 chickens or ducks or a combination of both can be kept on land between 10,000sqm and up to 20,000sqm without a permit. More than 40 requires a permit.

- Only two geese or turkeys can be kept on land larger than 4000sqm and less than 10,000sqm without a permit.

- Roosters, peacocks, peahens, guinea fowls or pheasants cannot be kept on blocks less than 25,000sqm.

- Birds such as cockatoos and galahs cannot be kept on lots smaller than 600sqm.

- Pigeons cannot be kept on small lots, but up to 40 can be kept on other premises if aviary is a minimum 25m from houses.

- Ostriches and emus cannot be kept on a property smaller than 20,000sqm.

http://albert-and-logan.whereilive.com.au/...rmits-for-pets/

Out Rage Over Pet Plan.

http://albert-and-logan.whereilive.com.au/...-over-pet-plan/

LOGAN: Thousands of outraged pet owners are expected to sign petitions protesting against Logan City Council’s proposed new animal-keeping laws.

Already 31 Logan pet and produce stores have launched petitions, with another 20 stores and veterinary practices expected to join the protest.

Torey Holman, of Doc Torey’s Pet Centre at Beenleigh, said he thought the proposed laws were unfair and would make it difficult for people to keep their animals.

He said he had collected 300 signatures in three days and hoped up to 10,000 people would sign by August 31.

``I think people are upset because council is playing big brother and because they’re depriving people of having the animals they want to keep on their own properties,’’ he said.

Included in the proposed laws are restrictions on keeping horses, guinea pigs and cockatoos.

Council is proposing a minimum of 4000sqm is needed to keep a horse; roosters cannot be kept on less than 25,000sqm; permits are needed for seven or more guinea pigs and cockatoos can’t be kept on less than 600sqm.

Logan Village produce store assistant manager Donna Morton said 99 percent of people who came into the store were flabbergasted at the proposed new laws.

Logan City councillor Phil Pidgeon, who is on the committee deciding the new laws, said the petitions were an overreaction, as the proposals were not law.

Cr Pidgeon said permits would mainly deal with small lot properties and would not affect those who lived on acreage.

``Between 600sqm and an acre lot that would seem to me the area that council would require permits to be issued for some animals,’’ he said.

Submissions on the proposals close on September 3, but Cr Pidgeon said council would not make a decision on any new laws until after it had considered all the public feedback.

Logan councillor Hajnal Black said she believed the proposals were a grab for cash and ``blatant daylight robbery’‘.

She advised as many people as possible to log on to council’s website and lodge a submission.

The new laws are expected to not only affect pet owners but also connected industries such as pet and produce stores, vets and animal breeders.

tybrax

I don't have a problem with any of those laws. If people want to keep farm animals on small domestic blocks, council should be able to inspect the property to make sure the arrangements are not going to impact negatively on the rest of the community.

So if I lived in Logan I would have to either move or find a new home for my parrot, an elecluctus - who lives inside with us and is an important member of the family?

She is no louder than the kids next door, I can tell you.

Stupid councils looking to make more money. :eek:

So if I lived in Logan I would have to either move or find a new home for my parrot, an elecluctus - who lives inside with us and is an important member of the family?

No, a council trying to foster a harmonious community. Obviously they need some feedback to let them know that not all large bird species are noisy which is why they ask for public comment.

Yes, you feel fine in your situation. But you need to consider that they are looking at all types of situations - not just the great owners that are responsible and do nothing wrong.

No, a council trying to foster a harmonious community. Obviously they need some feedback to let them know that not all large bird species are noisy which is why they ask for public comment.

Yes, you feel fine in your situation. But you need to consider that they are looking at all types of situations - not just the great owners that are responsible and do nothing wrong.

The problem with this kind of one size fits all legislation is the unforseen ramifications it has. I am not sure why you infer that having animals doesn't fit with a harmonious community, as long as those animals are cared for and housed appropriately (which is outlined under state animal legislation). This appears to be yet another level of regulation that is not needed, unless you are looking at income - and the $200 fee appears to reinforce this point.

Well I'm a local and I have few problems with most of the proposed new laws. Lets remember that they are calling for public input, these laws are not yet set in stone. Having lived next door to roosters and cockatoos where the noise factor is a big problem I think it's appropriate that they be housed on bigger blocks. I already have to pay a special licence fee to have my third dog and it's not a yearly fee, it's a one off fee for the life of that dog so maybe this is the sort of thing they will look at. Those that have a big problem with what is being proposed just have to be sure they lobby the council and make their feelings heard loud and clear. Certainly in regards to keeping my dogs Logan council has been a lot more dog friendly than the previous Beaudesert Shire in that now I can keep 4 dogs ( with licence), previously I could only keep 2.

I don't see your bird listed anywhere, I see only restrictions on cockatoos and galahs.

The example said such as cockatoos and galahs. I would think that they would extend it to any medium to larger sized birds (larger than a budgie).

I am not in logan, btw - I'm just pointing out that in terms of animal housing and welfare there already exist several layers of juristiction and regulation already, so why create additional regulation if its not to create additional revenue? And what is with charging $200 per permit anyway? Thats just a bit excessive, IMO.

It is an INCREASE in the allowances for birds for the old Logan area. Currently you are allowed 1 per 750sqm of land you have. Now you can have 2 on 600 - 2000sqm with no permit (very few if any properties are the tiny 400 lots). :thumbsup:

A smelly and/or noisy menagerie isn't necessarily cruel so the DPI/RSPCA animal welfare laws are not enough to protect people from their neighbours.

The permit is not a yearly fee, it is a once off fee that covers administration fees of investigating and the cost of the inspectors to come to your property. Sure it's probably more than it costs the council but it's a one off.

It is an INCREASE in the allowances for birds for the old Logan area. Currently you are allowed 1 per 750sqm of land you have. Now you can have 2 on 600 - 2000sqm with no permit (very few if any properties are the tiny 400 lots). :D

A smelly and/or noisy menagerie isn't necessarily cruel so the DPI/RSPCA animal welfare laws are not enough to protect people from their neighbours.

The permit is not a yearly fee, it is a once off fee that covers administration fees of investigating and the cost of the inspectors to come to your property. Sure it's probably more than it costs the council but it's a one off.

the question is whether they will charge multiple "one off" fees for every set of permits required, I can see that being a huge worry for some.