Dogs That Live To A Ripe Old Age

shepherdpower

My old boy was 16 years old when he passed in January this year....a GSD. There were times during this life where I could not afford top quality food and for a while was fed Pal (dry food only) as well as left-overs etc. But I always made sure to keep him lean and active. He would run with me everyday and then we downgraded to long walks as he got older.

I think he was blessed with great genes...never sick and never an issue with his health.

My corgi x is 12 years old and apart from some arthritis, is as fit as a fiddle and has only ever seen the vet for her yearly vaccinations.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a BC who looks 100, due to the many homes he had when young, I reacon he is around the same age as Bob, about 14 plus.

My Gilly is 10 and in great nic.

Bob and Gilly have been barf dogs nearly all their lives.

And Blake the BC, for the last 8 to 10 years.

Gilly has been to the vet once in the last 6 years, Bob's last visit was when he was desexed.

Blake has had a cancer off his ear.

Thats it for vet visits, Blake gets ear infections but I treat them.

Bob and Blake get Sashas Blend once a day.

Just out of interest, how many of the dogs people know of that lived to a ripe old age were fat?

Our Family dog which was a Lab x was fat and went till 16.

post-4036-1282255857_thumb.jpg

Edited by sas

My Old Boy Toby BullmastiffxGSD lived till 12.5, we had him PTS in Jan this year due to a permanent spinal condition that rendered him lame.

I know he wasn't what you would term an 'old' dog compared to a lot in this thread- but old for a mastiff, and he was a picture of health apart from the spinal condition.

He was fed on Chum dry and wet, and table scraps, he lived outside (cept for the later years he slept inside during winter), in the last few years he was rarely walked- but we live on 6acres, so would wander around the property with us.... but left to his own devices he was very lazy!

He hadn't been vaccinated since he was about 8, and even though he lived at the vets up until about then due to bad skin allergies/ear infections... he rarely went to the vet in his later years.... and I honestly couldn't tell you when I last wormed him!

But he was LAVISHED with love and affection, and I think his happiness contributed to his long life.

Just out of interest, how many of the dogs people know of that lived to a ripe old age were fat?

Cindy was what you would consider a tad 'broad around the girth'.

:scared: This would be a rather apt description of Toby too! :scold:

Two of my 3 GSd,s that lived to 13yo + were both on the solid side, they both had good appetites. The third one was always lean and very fuss food wise,she passed away before here "fatter" sister. I put their longevity down to good genes and living rural.

One of my current dogs turns 13 in October, and has always been on the lean side. She is being treated like a queen at present, she sleeps on a heated bed inside. I dont think she would have made it thru this colder winter outside.

I think the way a dog and cat for that matter are treated during their life plays some part in living to an older age.

Edited by dianed

"Some people (and dogs) are just lucky and/or have good genes. "

I agree with you Dobesrock.......it all comes down to genes and luck of the draw.

My first Shepherd (many years ago now and when I didn't know any better) lived on supermarket dry foods, some tinned food and ox cheek. She had terrible skin complaints (pemphigus) for most of her life and lived on cortisone and aspirin every day of her life because of it. At one stage, she was put onto boiled rice, vegies and chicken and I was told to keep her on this diet. Needless to say...it did nothing for her skin but after two years of this diet she started to show signs in lacking certain vitamins and minerals......so was put back onto a dry food diet (Eukanuba) which made her blossom in looks but still with her skin probs.

She died of old age aged nearly 17.

My other Shepherds, who never had a sick day in their lives and only went to the Vet for Vaccinations and who were raised and lived on a BARF diet ...with a bit of dry thrown in NOW AND THEN only.......have all died of cancer at various ages.....the eldest a very YOUNG eleven and the youngest (recently) TOO YOUNG at seven. :laugh:

I just don't know anymore :laugh: ....but imo It has nothing to do with what you feed them or how well you look after them or how healthy they are or seem. Same with us imo. It comes down to longevity through genetic makeup and whether your ancestors have passed on any faulty rogue genes.

Edited by Tapferhund

"I suspect the preservatives in the early processed dog food must have helped us along."

Actualy Meea, that's not as silly as it sounds. A few years back I partly watched some program about death and dying (can't remember what though as I turned it off..too depressing..it gave me the creeps :laugh: )...but one thing that I do remember was a undertaker remarking how bodies are not decomposing as quickly as they did and it was due to a lifetime eating preservatives within foods.