I Hate Some People.

Narcissa

So, I am in the elevator, waiting to go down to the basement carpark, when it stops at another floor. The doors open, revealing two dripping wet kids (like puddles of water at their feet!) and their parents. The kids start screaming and shrieking (one was close to tears) because I have a Chihuahua in the lift, on a leash, AND carried in my arms. This is a 2kg dog. The parents proceed to hug and shield their children and calm their fears about this scary dog, looked at me incredulously as I just scared their kids half to death, and told me stiffly that they'd wait for the next lift.

Deep breath. Om.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:confused:

I get frustrated at the DOG BEACH when people are screaming and carrying on if a dog walks near them (They don't even have a dog there with them) ! I seriously do not get why they come into dog beach and not walk the 50M to the dog free beach.

I don't think hating those who fear or dislike dogs does dogs any favours. The fear is genuine. The dislike is often the result of irresponsible dog owners making it harder for the rest of us.

Make your dog as unthreatening as possible and keep it away from strangers unless they want to greet it. Being on a dog beach isn't a permit to let your dog make a pest of itself.

I don't think hating those who fear or dislike dogs does dogs any favours. The fear is genuine. The dislike is often the result of irresponsible dog owners making it harder for the rest of us.

Make your dog as unthreatening as possible and keep it away from strangers unless they want to greet it. Being on a dog beach isn't a permit to let your dog make a pest of itself.

No the dogs aren't pestering people I am talking literally just walking past them. I have seen it numerous times.

No the dogs aren't pestering people I am talking literally just walking past them. I have seen it numerous times.

Call your dog in to heel, move past briskly and shrug it off. We all have a vested interest in stopping our dogs from bothering people on the few beaches they are allowed on.

Edited by poodlefan

If people are that scared of dogs and they enter a GATE that says DOG BEACH and have a fear of dogs and proceed to act all scared at dogs walking past (not even pestering them) I think they are dumb if there is a NO DOG beach a little bit more of a walk down the way?

Lets get one thing straight. There is no such thing as a 'dog beach'. There are beaches where dogs are permitted but all beaches are people beaches.

If a family wants to set up a picnic in the middle of a dog beach then its up to dog owners to be sure that they can do so without interference.

That's the reality of the situation folks. :confused:

If people are that scared of dogs and they enter a GATE that says DOG BEACH and have a fear of dogs and proceed to act all scared at dogs walking past (not even pestering them) I think they are dumb if there is a NO DOG beach a little bit more of a walk down the way?

Yea exactly!

If you have a fear of dogs do not enter a dog beach and start screaming. There are dogs having fun and running around. I don't agree with dogs jumping all over people but if they are just having fun and NOT hassling anyone I see no problem.

Yea exactly!

If you have a fear of dogs do not enter a dog beach and start screaming. There are dogs having fun and running around. I don't agree with dogs jumping all over people but if they are just having fun and NOT hassling anyone I see no problem.

Apparently they are :confused:

Yea exactly!

I actually thought that they weren't beaches specifically for dogs but public beaches on which dogs are allowed. If your dogs hassles someone who is frightened of dogs they can still report them and you may end up with your dog decl;ared as dangerous.

To the OP my neice used to be terrified of all animals - dogs, goats chickens - when she was younger. There was no reason for it that anyone could see and she did grow out of it with help. It was a real fear and not something to be laughed at.

Yea exactly!

I actually thought that they weren't beaches specifically for dogs but public beaches on which dogs are allowed. If your dogs hassles someone who is frightened of dogs they can still report them and you may end up with your dog decl;ared as dangerous.

To the OP my neice used to be terrified of all animals - dogs, goats chickens - when she was younger. There was no reason for it that anyone could see and she did grow out of it with help. It was a real fear and not something to be laughed at.

The general beaches have curfews in summer where as the dog beach is 24/7 that you can have dogs there. It is closed off with fences and gates along with signs about the dog beach. I just get frustrated by people coming into this fenced off beach and start screaming by the sight of dogs. There is a the general beach just 50m up where dogs are not allowed that is what is frustrating about this particular dog beach. I have never had issues with my dog there but I have seen it with others. I usually find a spot on my own for my dog as it is but I have observed this happening with other dogs.

Oh, I understand real phobias - I don't see why the parents had to be so rude and encouraging of such behaviour - they could have apologised for their kids' outburst but they stared at me with such hatred! :confused:

PF, the Brighton dog beach is also not particularly people friendly. It is around a marina, you certainly wouldn't swim there and there is nowhere particularly suitable for a picnic, etc. It is fully fenced for the sole purpose of being a dog beach. :confused:

PF, the Brighton dog beach is also not particularly people friendly. It is around a marina, you certainly wouldn't swim there and there is nowhere particularly suitable for a picnic, etc. It is fully fenced for the sole purpose of being a dog beach. :confused:

Yep!

BUT EITHER WAY Sky Mel mentioned NOTHING about her dog pestering people or the other dogs pestering people in the situation she described, she said people come in the area and freak out when dogs 'walk near them' thats pretty much what happens in dog allowed areas, they play and run around and often *SHOCK HORROR* will pass near you sometimes, oh look out!