Happy Is Not Eating...

khakilulu

Our 3 year-old golden retriver travelled to China with me today. We arrived at the airport early in the morning, but I didn't manage to clear him from custom until late afternoon. When I saw him, he wasn't in very good condition. He had no water left int he crate, and had poo all over his body as he did his business in the crate.

He is now wondering and looking around his new home, he seemed very thirsty and drank lots of water. However he had no interest in any food or treat that I tried to give him. When we were in Ausrtalia, he always loved food and will give up anything for food.

Should I be worried as he is not eating now? Or is he just a bit shy and nervous about the new environment? I would wait until tomorrow and see if he started eating again, otherwise I might try to find a local vet.

What are your suggestions?

Poor thing, it sounds like he may have had a stressful time travelling.

I would just leave him with his water and let him find his way around his new surroundings for at least a few hours. If he is not eating by morning, then a vet visit would be worth it.

Dogs are generally very adaptable, some just need more time than others.

Thinking more as I write this, it wouldn't hurt for him to be checked over by a vet after such a stressful time, and also to make sure he hasn't picked something up along the way :confused:

I hope he feels better soon - hopefully it is just stress.

When you have the time, I'd love it if you'd start a thread telling us about the process of moving to China with a dog & how you're finding it there as a dog owner (please?) :confused:

I hope he will be OK. He's been through a stressful time no doubt, I hope he settles and starts eating soon. What are the vets like over there. Even if he isn't sick yet maybe it would be a good idea to sus out the vets for when you need one, hopefully never.

I too would love to hear more about your move to China. Pics would be great too.

Sending good thoughts to your boy Happy, and hoping he's feeling much better now.

Did little Prada make the trip too?

Edited by Kirislin

I would just let him settle, perhaps keep him to just one room in the home so he can get used to just that for now (instead of having 'system overload' with so many new sights, sounds and smells to take in).

Rescue Remedy may help him too.

Offer him something simple like scrambled eggs to eat as his tum may still be feeling upset.

He'll need loads of reassurance as he adjusts. Agree with everything everyone has said above too. He is probably feeling very stressed, disorientated and unsure.

Thank you all, I tried to feed Happy some breakfast this morning, he didn't take it. However he is starting to show interest in treats (dry chicken breast). He is now looking quite happy and relaxed. It must be hard for him as the climate difference between China and Ausrtalia is huge. It's now in the middle of summer here, very hot and wet. I will try to feed him some boild meat and egg tonight.

I hope he will be OK. He's been through a stressful time no doubt, I hope he settles and starts eating soon. What are the vets like over there. Even if he isn't sick yet maybe it would be a good idea to sus out the vets for when you need one, hopefully never.

I too would love to hear more about your move to China. Pics would be great too.

Sending good thoughts to your boy Happy, and hoping he's feeling much better now.

Did little Prada make the trip too?

Unfortunately I wan't able to take Prada with me. For me, the whole transport process was a nightmare.

I contacted an Australian pet transport agent well before my departure date, I asked them whether it is possible to the Happy and Prada to China. For whoever wants to bring pets into China, it is strickly limited to 1 dog per person. Since I have two dogs, I had to find another person who can take on the other dog. My brother came to visited me 2 months before I leave for China, then we decided to put happy under my name, and Prada under my brother's name, so Prada can move to China with us.

I asked the Australian agent whether my brother is eligible to take a dog into China, and they said yes. So I started all the planing and everything. After everything was settled and ready to go. Just 2 days before the dogs were taken away by the agent, I rang the Chinese custom to make sure all information I got from the pet transport agent was correct.

Then, I found the custom clearing process wasn't as simple as the agent told me. When I arrive in China, I had to find a authorised agent/person to deal with custom, as individuals is not qualified to do so. And becuase by the Ausrtralian law, exporting animals have to go through as cargo. Clearing a live animal from cargo is in fact very complicated in China.

the Chinese custom then told me, my brother is in fact not eligible to take dogs into China, even Prada was shipped to China, he wouldn't be able to be cleared from the Chinese custom! Prada would have to be deported back to Australia and whoever knows what would happen to him.

As soon as I know the Chinese rules, I rang the Australia transport company and ask if they know anything about this. And they told me they never heard of it before. The told me they ship animals to China every week and it hasn't been any problems. I can totally understand the Ausrtalia agent may not have a full idea of what is required in China, but I was not happy. Everything they told me that was simple and easy to do, was in fact quite complicated. The cost also added up to be a lot more expensive! I have to blame myself for not ringing the Chinese eariler, however I am very glad I did ring them, otherwise the whole situation would be a more difficult.

So, two days before I leave, I had to make the desicion to leave Prada behind. This really breaks my heart, as the two dogs have been living together since they were little. I wasn't sure how they would manage to live without one another. Luckly my boyfriend was still intending to stay in Australia, and he would be eligible to take Prada with him when he comes to China in a month or so.

I managed to find a friend to froster Prada in the mean time, and she adores him.

We were leaving on the Monday afternoon, so on Monday morning, we took Prada with us to the AQIS vet, and changed all paperwork for Prada. (Prada was offcially under my brother's name. All records and paper works have to be changed to my bf's name so he can take him to China later.)

So now, both dogs are settled. I'm so relifed now. My families in China adores Happy, Happy is recciving plenty of attention and love. Having a pet travelling long distance was really hard to the dog himself. I can tell how stressful he was when I first saw him in the crate in China. He had no water left at all, and full of poo in the crate. After seeing Happy going through this, I'm not sure if I should bring Prada to China now.

Sounds like a nightmare process. I'm glad that at least your boyfriend will be able to bring Prada with him. It might be a little more stressful for Prada making the trip though, considering the change of environment, fostering, wru Mummy and Happy, etc. Many changes for her to adjust to.

What makes your boyfriend and not your brother eligible for importing Prada to China?

Dogs are very adaptable, so just give it time. I was lucky with mine. Maxey just bounded out of the crate, greeted everyone and quickly found his sleeping spot. But the process to Singapore is a lot easier, as well as flight time (from Perth). Weather is hot and humid here so Maxey gets air condition whenever he wants.

What an ordeal for you all. I can see you must really love your dogs to go through all this for them. I hope Happy gets used to it all soon and little Prada will be safe and loved where ever he ends up. I can understand your reluctance to send him to China as well, such a little thing, good luck with what ever you finally decide.

The separation from Prada will also have affected Happy and his demeanour.

If you do end up sending Prada to China, maybe do not feed him for the day before.

Is there only one company that ships animals to China? You can't use another company?

Nice to hear Happy is settling in and getting lots of love and attention :thumbsup:

Edited by Golden Rules