New Clipper Blades Totally Blunt

Moselle

I have purchased various clipper blades and when I was just about to use them I discovered that they were completely blunt! The blades were Oster, Andis, ConairPRO, Sheermagic. I don't know whether this is just a bad batch or whether this is common. I must say that I am totally frustrated and mad. You pay good money for something that is supposed to do its job and yet it is completely bloody useless1

Has anyone else encountered the same problem?

:cry:

I have been caught out a few times now with new blades, the last time I bought about 5 at once 2 of them were useless.

I know some groomers have new blades sharpened before they are used for the same reason.

Don't know why it is only some blades but it is very annoying to say the least.

eta: I only buy Oster or Wahl blades.

Edited by Andisa

I have been caught out a few times now with new blades, the last time I bought about 5 at once 2 of them were useless.

I know some groomers have new blades sharpened before they are used for the same reason.

Don't know why it is only some blades but it is very annoying to say the least.

eta: I only buy Oster or Wahl blades.

Thanks Andisa. At least you have been luckier than I have. I bought 10 blades and not one happens to be sharp!

I guess it's a case of posting them away and get them sharpened. I did order more Oster and Andis

blades but they only had a limited number of oster and Andis so I agreed to give sheermagic and conair a shot.

Edited by Moselle

I am not a fan of the shear magic blades - loved them when new but were never the same once they needed to be sharpened so they sit in the back of the draw. Glad I only bought 4 - 5 of them.

Have been very happy with the shear magic scissors though, they are fantastic with very thick hairy feet and matted coats.

One of the DOLers sharpens blades think it is "nicest man", someone will come in and correct me if I am wrong.

many new blades come out the packet 'blunt' and need to be serviced before use.

I will only buy Geib 'buttercut' & Laube blades.

The last blade I bought was a 5 blade for my Wahl and it was blunt on first use, I took it to be sharpened and only get one clip out of it and it is blunt again, I am over getting it sharpened all the time so I have gone back to my 10 blade with the SS attcahments, I get about 6 clips out of it before it needs sharpening. Which is realy annoying as the 5 blade gives a nice clip where as the 10 with attachments gives a choppy clip not as smooth as the blade alone.

Did you clean the blade before using it? Sometimes they cover them with a bit to much 'anti rust/preservative' which needs to come off with a soak overnight in blade wash, then they should be good to go.

tlc - are you using the 5 on a clean, dry and brushed out coat?

many new blades come out the packet 'blunt' and need to be serviced before use.

I will only buy Geib 'buttercut' & Laube blades.

I love my buttercut blades, havn't nicked anyone since, and no clipperburn/rash. Haven't tried Laube

Did you clean the blade before using it? Sometimes they cover them with a bit to much 'anti rust/preservative' which needs to come off with a soak overnight in blade wash, then they should be good to go.

Yes clean and dry and brushed. I clip every 6 - 8 weeks so thier coats are never long or knotty. We have an active lifestyle so shorter suits us better. Even my sharpening guy said it is strange. Also doesn't add up why the 10 blade stays sharper for sooooo much longer?

I didn't know that they were coated with anti rust preservative, I will try to give a couple of blades a shot in soaking them overnight and see how they fare after that, thanks :(