Is There A Limit On The Number Of Dogs I Can Own?

Steve

After the amalgamation I am now in Logan Council and am really happy they have reduced the cost of registration for DogsQLD members now to $50 instead of $90 and desexed dogs down to $20 from $40. But you have to pay yearly, we can't pay for three years anymore. I wish we were able to do lifetime regos like NSW as well.

Mine has 3 year rego with Logan.

Beaudesert canned the 3 year deal - but Logan brought it back in. :)

In Tasmania, it's state law (not council bylaw) that prohibits keeping any more than two dogs on a property without a permit.

Here's the actual legislation concerning numbers: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/tas/con...000134/s50.html

That said, in the entire time I was running GAP, I never saw a greyhound wearing its council tag (as also required by the act- excluding during racing obviously, when there's due cause to remove) nor was I ever provided any reg numbers to transfer over so I can only assume they simply weren't registered.

They are still required to be registered under the Act but I suppose a lot of people figure.. registering all the dogs on a property means dealing with the kennel license issue and possible rejection of an application (which would mean they would be forced to remove dogs).

OK maybe we are lucky but my husband and I do run the dogs/breeding as a business - we have an ABN and we dog made a small profit last financial year when we bred 2 litters - largely due to the fact one our girl bred 12 in 1 of her litters. I have a breed that sells and I breed and part train them as service dog. However we do not rely on the income particulary, we are both fully employed, we have built council approved kennels and fencing (all tax deductable) - which meant the neighbours all know about it and do the right thing about noise and cleanliness. We do obedience, primarily though I will attend the speciality shows annually atleast. We breed 1 or 2 of the bitches a year. We pay for an outside stud - eventually we will breed a stud suitable to use but he will be parked with someone - this keeps the noise down heaps. No entire males howling for the girls. For us our 'hobby/bussiness pays for itself and sometimes makes a small profit all below taxable amount. ATO is OK about that.

We can claim show/trial trial entrys, materials for maintanence, food, collars, leads (usefull becasue we gift them to our puppy buyers, dishes, depreciation on the kennels and the computer, vet bill.) When we replace the car the business will buy it and all is tax deductable - but we have to keep a log - pain in the butt! The first few years we made zip on the dogs so the expenses acrue. We are in a village on 1acre, not in town- the local council are painfull about dogs in town but OK in the villages. Its do-able but you have to be honest and you have to seriously consider the noise factor for the neighbours. The little we make as profit is a windfall but it pays the rates, some of the credit card sometimes and keeps our head above water. Its just Pete and I, we work shift work and opposite shifts so the dogs are rarely alone more than 3 hours of a day and never at night. We - very luckily - have a friend who stays when we are away.

My point I do think I have a right to own and breed dogs but I also must consider the otheres around me and the circumstances I put them under. However I think this can only be done safely in NSW.

Edited by Tapua

After the amalgamation I am now in Logan Council and am really happy they have reduced the cost of registration for DogsQLD members now to $50 instead of $90 and desexed dogs down to $20 from $40. But you have to pay yearly, we can't pay for three years anymore. I wish we were able to do lifetime regos like NSW as well.

Mine has 3 year rego with Logan.

Beaudesert canned the 3 year deal - but Logan brought it back in. :)

Not according to info on their website about the 2010/2011 budget.

Here's the link http://www.logan.qld.gov.au/lcc/logan/news...trationfees.htm

And this is the bit about it now being yearly

As announced in last year's Budget, triennial registration will no longer be available to pet

owners from July 1, 2010.

BCC has a limit of 2 dogs without an extra permit. If you want to keep 3 or 4 dogs you have two legal options.

1. Apply to be allowed to keep an extra 2 companion animals - for this permit they MUST be desexed before the permit will be granted. You also need adequate fencing, be disposing of waste effectively, cannot live on a small (< about 450m I think) block - that's about it.

2. Apply for a 'breeders or show dog' permit. This has exactly the same conditions as the first permit except that (obviously) dogs don't have to be desexed and you need to 'keep records' of dogs that come and go from your property.

Other than that the costs and conditions are all the same. You don't have to be a CCCQ member to get the 'breeders' permit, although it does get you a discount for registering entire dogs.

You can apply for the permit before getting your third or fourth dog and the permit is for any 3 or 4 dogs - they no longer specify the dogs you can keep.

The permit costs aabout $180 a year (plus individual dog registration and a $40 application fee) and involves an annual property inspection. For a complaint to jeapordise the permit it must relate specifically to the number of dogs eg: Amount of waste in the yard etc. Noise is not related to the number of dogs apparently, but is dealt with as it would be for a person with 2 dogs. :rofl:

I chose to get the second permit because I don't want to have to sterilise my dogs as a matter of course if I see good reason to keep them entire. FTR - my two older dogs are desexed and by puppy bitch will be before too much longer. I would keep a dog entire until maturity if I were to get another boy puppy.

Remember though that any more than two you have to house at least 15 metres from a dwelling or a place used to prepare food and the codes of practice for breeding are for anyone involved in the ACTIVITY of breeding dogs.

That is ONLY for people who run a business of breeding dogs.

Rescue and Normal dog ownership does not apply to the above.

Remember though that any more than two you have to house at least 15 metres from a dwelling or a place used to prepare food and the codes of practice for breeding are for anyone involved in the ACTIVITY of breeding dogs.

Well thank you Dogs life that makes a whole heap of difference - How do we define business of breeding dogs?

Id like $5 for every hobby breeder who has had grief over this when council push them. About 12 years ago I had a litter of puppies and a council ranger told me I could not breed a litter of puppies ever or keep my 4 dogs while ever I lived in that house because I couldn't house them 15 metres from my house. It was why I sold my house and now live on 30 acres! :love:

So while we're at it . If the RSPCA visit a persons property [around 50 acres] who are rescuing dogs in NSW and they have 4 metre square grassed pens can they make them shut down if they don't comply with regs for breeding dogs or boarding dogs and have concrete pens ? I guess what I'm asking is - are there any regs which apply to rescue?

I guess what I'm asking is - are there any regs which apply to rescue?

Yes.

If the rescue has kennels/pens to contain their dogs and cats, they have to comply with the Code of Practice for Boarding kennels.

And the Code of Practice for Breeders of dogs and cats that is being developed is aimed at ANYONE who regularly SELLS dogs/pups and cats/kittens, so rescue IS included even though we are not in the 'business' or 'activity' of 'breeding'.

And obviously POCTA.

edited to add...

also any relevant local council policies in their respective council area.

Edited by Andrea

I guess what I'm asking is - are there any regs which apply to rescue?

Yes.

If the rescue has kennels/pens to contain their dogs and cats, they have to comply with the Code of Practice for Boarding kennels.

And the Code of Practice for Breeders of dogs and cats that is being developed is aimed at ANYONE who regularly SELLS dogs/pups and cats/kittens, so rescue IS included even though we are not in the 'business' or 'activity' of 'breeding'.

And obviously POCTA.

edited to add...

also any relevant local council policies in their respective council area.

Yes obviously this is what some have been working on but where is the legislation which puts rescue - now - under this legislation?

Local polices are not enforecable.