Olympus Equipment Reference Thread

DMA

I so want one. :)

But then I have to get a new lens to match my new camera and it ends up costing half of my car loan :)

I am stalking e-30's on ebay though. :o

Yeah I want one too. The webshop I want to buy the E-5 from told me there's at least a 2 week delay! :)

Is your car only worth $2000? :) Seriously the 50-200 SWD only cost me around $950 including postage from the USA.

Yes there maybe an E-30 on eBay soon that's been well looked after & has had only 22 000 activations ... :o

Don't tempt me :laugh: I am debating if I should cash in on a cheap E-30 now and then upgade after a couple of years to the E-5 or just keep my current body and upgrade the glass or both.

No it would cost the same as my car if I got an E-5, a flash, a couple of new lenses (50-200 and a macro and maybe a pancake) then a nice tripod and a new camera bag to fit it all.

PM me when your E-30 goes on ebay. Hopefully it will be next pay as I had an emergency vet trip that wiped out this one. :o

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't tempt me :) I am debating if I should cash in on a cheap E-30 now and then upgade after a couple of years to the E-5 or just keep my current body and upgrade the glass or both.

No it would cost the same as my car if I got an E-5, a flash, a couple of new lenses (50-200 and a macro and maybe a pancake) then a nice tripod and a new camera bag to fit it all.

PM me when your E-30 goes on ebay. Hopefully it will be next pay as I had an emergency vet trip that wiped out this one. :)

If you're happy with the E-420 then all you may need is better glass. So an SWD Zuiko of the appropriate focal length maybe all that's required.

In many respects, though, it comes down to the environment you take photos in. Given I'm indoors a lot, in a rather gloomy location (Muswellbrook pound), I'm finding that I'm pushing the E-30 to the very limit. Having said that, it's not like I'm taking bad photos, on the contrary many of them are very satisfying, but given the reviews of the E-5, I just know it'll handle the conditions a whole lot better. But if your photography is outdoors, or indoors with good light, then there's no reason whatsoever why you wouldn't get great IQ from the E-30 as I do now. But then again the E-420 isn't too shabby either, as you'd know well, under the same conditions. So it may simply come back to having better glass as I've demonstrated in the Kelpie thread using the 50-200mm SWD Zuiko & my E-420.

I'm not sure when my E-30 will go for sale on eBay, although next week is probably a good bet. It just depends upon how quick I can adapt to the E-5 when it arrives.

Alas I know all about vet bills :) My last one was about $1 000... :)

BTW I should add I don't use the flash whenever I can help it. So I use the Sigma 30mm 1.4f indoors or either the Zuiko 12-60mm or the Zuiko 50-200mm even though their aperture isn't as wide as the Sigma (so I've got to up the ISO past 1 000 - usually at 1 600 for either of the Zuikos).

I just think using the flash is the work of the Devil! :love:

Add section about the new Micro Four Thirds camera the Lumix DMC GH2.

Also there's a very strong rumour that Olympus will release a "Pro" level Micro Four Thirds camera in the new year...

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm opinions please :rofl:

What do you think/have you heard about this:

Olympus 12-60mm f/2.8-4 ED SWD Zuiko Zoom Lens for Olympus Digital Cameras

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...orToReadReviews

or this one (Thinking of getting this to put on my old body to practically make it a Point and shoot!)

Olympus 25mm f/2.8 ED Zuiko Lens for Olympus Digital & Four Thirds System

ot this one (Am I looking at the wrong one? It seems so cheap!)

Olympus 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Zuiko ED Zoom Lens for Olympus Digital Cameras (Four Thirds System)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5049...6_Zuiko_ED.html

Or this one

Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm f/3.5 Macro ED Lens

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4053...35mm_f_3_5.html

So many choices!!! :confused:

Hmmm opinions please :D

What do you think/have you heard about this:

Olympus 12-60mm f/2.8-4 ED SWD Zuiko Zoom Lens for Olympus Digital Cameras

or this one (Thinking of getting this to put on my old body to practically make it a Point and shoot!)

Olympus 25mm f/2.8 ED Zuiko Lens for Olympus Digital & Four Thirds System

ot this one (Am I looking at the wrong one? It seems so cheap!)

Olympus 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Zuiko ED Zoom Lens for Olympus Digital Cameras (Four Thirds System)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5049...6_Zuiko_ED.html

Or this one

Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm f/3.5 Macro ED Lens

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4053...35mm_f_3_5.html

So many choices!!! :thumbsup:

Yes, many choices, & many good lenses too!

If your main focal length is going to be under 60mm, then the only choice is the Zuiko 12-60mm SWD bar none IMHO. It's an exceptional lens, plus you get the benefit of it being a zoom.

If it is over 60mm, then get the Zuiko 50-200mm SWD. It'll give you the same image quality as the 12-60mm SWD. Meanwhile the Zuiko 70-300mm is great value, but the 50-200mm will give you better pictures as it's simply got better glass. I've got both, but I hardly use the 70-300mm anymore due to the better image quality from the 50-200mm. But if you're on a tight budget, get the 70-300mm

BTW RV if your after a macro lens, get the 50mm Zuiko. It probably has the best image quailty of the Zuiko macro lenses akin to the SWD range. Having said that, if you get the EX-25 Extension Tube, it'll turn every lens you've got into a macro lens. This works particularly well with the 70-300mm as it has provision actually built into it to work with the EX-25. I've got both, although I don't really do macro.

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update...

The new Olympus PEN E-PL2 was announced today & added to the listing above. More details to come when reviewers have had their play...

Similarly Olympus has announced that they will be bringing out "professional" Micro 4/3rds lenses soon. Also there are rumours that a "professional" body, for the Micro 4/3rds system, is on the way.

Edited by DMA

• 1 month later...

Some big announcements over the last week for Micro Four Thirds users in respect to lenses. The following companies will be producing lenses sometime over the next year:

Carl Zeiss,

Schneider Kreuznach,

Sigma,

& little known Japanese company Komamura.

No real details on focal length/aperture model(s), but it's thought that Carl Zeiss will be releasing their 15.5-45mm f2.6 in M4/3rds; Schneider Kreuznach is looking at their 25mm f0.95 lens; whilst we can expect three or four from Sigma as well.

Edited by DMA

What is micro four thirds, is that what our crop cameras are?

They're the hybrid mirrorless ones with interchangable lenses that Olympus & Panasonic are marketing as a low to mid range alterative to an equivalent dSLR. Panasonic style them as a small SLR whilst Olympus style them as a ranger finder style camera.

What camera have you got Kirislin?

I love it although I still find all the controls and options daunting. I feel like a learner driver thrown behind the wheel of a formula one. I doubt I'll ever use it to its full potential but I'm having fun and it will probably be the only camera I have until I run it into the ground, which hopefully will be a long time away.

Correction, I am very tempted by those point and shoot cameras you can take in water I've seen kja and Ripley use.

Edited by Kirislin

I love it although I still find all the controls and options daunting. I feel like a learner driver thrown behind the wheel of a formula one. I doubt I'll ever use it to its full potential but I'm having fun and it will probably be the only camera I have until I run it into the ground, which hopefully will be a long time away.

I thought the same thing when I went from film SLR to my first dSLR. And that was just the humble E-420! But within 3 months it was a different story & moved to the E-30. Now I've got the E-5 & it's like second nature with all the menus & dails... :confused: I'm sure it won't take long for you either, but having fun with it is the most important part IMHO :laugh:

Correction, I am very tempted by those point and shoot cameras you can take in water I've seen kja and Ripley use.

And they take some great ones too! And I know you can get waterproof gear for the M4/3rds range, although it's not my area. Shooting poor impound animals is...

Edited by DMA

Some big announcements over the last week for Micro Four Thirds users in respect to lenses. The following companies will be producing lenses sometime over the next year:

Carl Zeiss,

Schneider Kreuznach,

Sigma,

No real details on focal length/aperture model(s), but it's thought that Carl Zeiss will be releasing their 15.5-45mm f2.6 in M4/3rds; Schneider Kreuznach is looking at their 25mm f0.95 lens; whilst we can expect three or four from Sigma as well.

Exciting!!!! Maybe I should hold off buying lenses a little longer although I expect that these new lenses wil be $$$$$$ :confused:

Carl Zeiss,

Schneider Kreuznach,

Sigma,

Exciting!!!! Maybe I should hold off buying lenses a little longer although I expect that these new lenses wil be $$$$$$ :confused:

Actually we can't use them RV. They're for micro, not standard four thirds. Sorry :laugh:

Having said that, I'd doubt they'd be any better than either the 12-60mm SWD or the 50-200mm SWD. Both are exceptional lenses & I've never seen their equal to date...

Carl Zeiss,

Schneider Kreuznach,

Sigma,

Exciting!!!! Maybe I should hold off buying lenses a little longer although I expect that these new lenses wil be $$$$$$ :laugh:

Actually we can't use them RV. They're for micro, not standard four thirds. Sorry :laugh:

Having said that, I'd doubt they'd be any better than either the 12-60mm SWD or the 50-200mm SWD. Both are exceptional lenses & I've never seen their equal to date...

And I am hoping to buy them both in the states :confused:

Have you heard anything about the 25mm f/2.8 ED Zuiko Lens? I am considering getting it to go on my e420 so that when we are away (or even here) I can put it on the e420 and lend it to other people to take pics ect.