Dog Trailers

Kaffy Magee

I have a 4 berth trickey trailer (no wardrobe) and have been looking for a second hand 4 berth trailer with wardrobe. Anyway, I have decided to have something made up for my current trailer to store my crates in and was looking for suggestions. I dont like to cover up the front and rear windows, which leaves the roof. Im wondering has anyone had a storage compartment added to their trailer roof, specifically a medium/large 4 berth? My trailer has 2 whirly gigs so it would have to sit up above those, to still allow airflow. Does anyone know if there would be anything wrong with this? I want it all enclosed, so not the wire racks Ive seen on some.

My trailer does have a crate rack(and tac box) on front but I dont like my crates going on there, so thinking of replacing it all with a larger tack box. I'll also be converting it to a 3 berth as one of my pups Ive kept will be too big for the current bays, when he is an adult.

Any photos appreciated too,

Cheers,

KM

I know a few people with high roof racks (fitted above the whirlies) and wire baskets. Mind you, heaving a trolley on and off would be a challenge.

Saw a HUUUUGE tack box on the draw bar of a trailer at Ganmain. The trolleys all went in there.

Thanks Poodlefan. I have a friend who had one fitted to her 6 berth with wardrobe but I wasnt sure with mine only being a 4 berth whether it would be too small for adding something on top. I wont be lifting trolleys up, mainly soft crates and possibly gazebo, depending on size. My friend just stands her heavy gazebo on end and lift on an angle and it slides in easy enough. Her trailer is taller than mine too, so I should have too much trouble, I wouldnt think. Now does anyone know who could do this for me? I live in Vic. Do I need a specific dog trailer manufacturer to do it or can I go to any sort of trailer place?

Thanks Poodlefan. I have a friend who had one fitted to her 6 berth with wardrobe but I wasnt sure with mine only being a 4 berth whether it would be too small for adding something on top. I wont be lifting trolleys up, mainly soft crates and possibly gazebo, depending on size. My friend just stands her heavy gazebo on end and lift on an angle and it slides in easy enough. Her trailer is taller than mine too, so I should have too much trouble, I wouldnt think. Now does anyone know who could do this for me? I live in Vic. Do I need a specific dog trailer manufacturer to do it or can I go to any sort of trailer place?

I would start with a call to Roof Rack city if they have one down there. I've found them great for advice on racks, luggage boxes etc.

I havent heard of them, but will do a little research in my town first. Then I might ask my friend who did hers. I would rather not have to travel away to have it done, but if I have to I will. I'll look inot it abiot more tomorrow, have to head to work now. Thanks for your help!

My Hubby made a frame out of small rhs to go around the top of my 4 berth trailer, and then we got a cover made for the frame, yes it does cover the spinners on top of the trailer, but it is still not hot for the dogs because it is like a fake roof, if that makes sence. he also put ply board between the spinners, to give it extra strength. sorry i have not got a photo of it, beause it was before a got a computer. And now that i have a gooseneck as a trailer, i do not use my dog trailer that much.

KM, maybe try a steel fabricating company.

You could also try some of the dog trailer manufacturers here in VIC, there a few in Vic. Also try the horse float people, they could make you a box and fit it as well for you. You will have a few options open to you.

ETA; If you struggle than there are a few dog trailer people advertising on Ebay, contact them for an costing.

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

Just remember to make sure you get an engineer to check your trailer before you do any modifications to it. Adding more weight or unbalancing the trailer can cause problems. It is not unheard of for the trailer to fail and snap when towing the extra added weight.

You could go to any trailer place and get them to move your tackbox forward and have a slot between your trailer and tack box for trolleys but like S's & D's get a engineer to check it out first as most single axle trailers can only withhold 750 kilos and most normal 4 berth trailers weigh 500...so it dosent leave much capacity left for our show gear and dogs.