Doggy Doors And Sliding Doors?

PoppyDog

We have glass sliding doors that go out into our backyard.

We usually leave them open about 30cm so Poppy can come in and out as she needs.

Thing is, with Spring just about here we are getting lots of mozzies inside AND some flies! :laugh:

I've found a doggy door that fits into the tracks of a sliding door. It's exxy but since we're in a rental and could take it with us when we leave it might be worth it.

I've also found a cheap one on Ebay that I've watching...

But in the pictures I see that it sits on one side of the frame...against the wall and the the door closes onto it...BUT our glass slinding doors (there are two) close together in the middle so I'm wondering if it will work for us???

Any ideas???

Is it a Pig in Mud door or something similar?

I have one and it is awesome. Best money I ever spent!

It should work with double sliding doors as you could just pop it in the middle and both doors will just close up against it. You get one locking mechanism with them but you could always just buy another one or I use a piece of dowel in the track.

I'm considering purchasing one. As well as the Pig in Mud there is also one called Patio Link Is one better than the other?

Pele is 490mm at the shoulder and the Patio Link door is 500mm so may be cutting it a bit fine height wise and probably would need the larger 650mm size whereas the Pig in Mud Extra Large is 584mm at the shoulder so might be more suitable for Pele. Any thoughts????

I'm considering purchasing one. As well as the Pig in Mud there is also one called Patio Link Is one better than the other?

Pele is 490mm at the shoulder and the Patio Link door is 500mm so may be cutting it a bit fine height wise and probably would need the larger 650mm size whereas the Pig in Mud Extra Large is 584mm at the shoulder so might be more suitable for Pele. Any thoughts????

I think I remember from another thread that the difference in the doors is the quality of the magnetic part that holds the flap in place when closed. But I could be wrong. I'm sure they are all much of a muchness. Have a search for other threads. I think there is one called Pig in Mud.

As far as sizes go. I bought the Superlarge size Pig in Mud as I have a Rotty and a Lab. But, I also foster dogs and have had several different sized dogs use it with no issues. The only one who couldn't work it out was a Great Dane X. She definately could have got through it if she tried but I think she was just a bit slow :laugh:

My cats use it too with no problems.

I am so glad I bit the bullet and bought one. I used to leave my door open for the dogs and in the middle of winter in Canberra it was less than ideal. It has saved me heaps in heating bills and no one ever has to wake me up to go out. DO IT!

We have glass sliding doors that go out into our backyard.

We usually leave them open about 30cm so Poppy can come in and out as she needs.

Thing is, with Spring just about here we are getting lots of mozzies inside AND some flies! :)

I've found a doggy door that fits into the tracks of a sliding door. It's exxy but since we're in a rental and could take it with us when we leave it might be worth it.

I've also found a cheap one on Ebay that I've watching...

But in the pictures I see that it sits on one side of the frame...against the wall and the the door closes onto it...BUT our glass slinding doors (there are two) close together in the middle so I'm wondering if it will work for us???

Any ideas???

Hi i have the same problem (at least that is one of the many problems i have) and i what i would suggest is that you buy some dowel or something and cut that to length so that it fits in the tracks nice and snug. So pull one of the sliding doors so that it is as far as it goes towards the middle of the door and put some dowel in that track so that the door cannot be slid back. Then pop your dog door in and close the other glass door to meet it. Then do put some dowel in that track. You will have to make sure it is nice and tight as you dont want the doors to be able to be slid back at all. When you want to go out the doors, just remove one of the pieces of dowel and slid that door open.

Our major issue is that our glass doors are on the outside of the screen doors so the tracks are on the outside of the solid door, so dowel is not an option and the landlord doesnt want us installing the patio locks (cause it involves drilling). So we are at a loss.

Hope that helps