My First Litter Is Due On The 28th!

my_sibe_owns_me

Hiya everyone!

My first litter is due the 28th! Cant wait to see them! Right now im just starting to get the things I need but honestly my biggest fear is finding the pups awesome forever homes. I think I have a contract that will scare away most people who are just looking to breed their pet or lock it up in their backyard and sell it off. How did you find awesome homes for your puppies? Any tips?

edit cuz I read the pin up.

Edited by my_sibe_owns_me

I think its important to remember, you are breeding this litter for YOU, for your lines and future. So keep that uppermost in your thoughts before the pups are born and dealing with puppy enquiries.

If you don't have a list of puppy enquiries or people who've been waiting for a litter with for some time, contact your breed club to be put on the breeder list. They may also be able to pass onto you some good people who've enquired about upcoming litters.

Other breeders, if you have good friends in your breed, they may be able to recommend puppy buyers, and also advise you on people to steer clear of.

Think about what you need to ask your enquiry people - see how much thought they've put into the special needs of a sibe in their family & yard. discussing desexing of companion pups will often turn away the byb's.

fifi

I often find you weed out alot of the "wanna breeds" by simply saying that the puppy will be desexed before it leaves.

Word of mouth through other breeders, friends and previous puppy buyers, having an online presence, being listed with your local breed clubs, these are the usual methods through which we find our puppy buyers.

Good luck with your litter - puppies are always exciting!

Edited by SilverHaze

Firstly Congratulations!!! My first litter is due within the week and it's a very exciting (and nervous) time. :laugh:

I'd just like to say "Trust your instincts". I posted a litter notice on DOL and asked for "expressions of interest" and it has been VERY interesting getting emails and calls from people asking about the future litter and telling me about what puppy they would like and why. You get a feel for the people and what they are like. Ask them questions, the response, or lack of, is often an indication of their intention. There are some lovely people out there and one of the first things is ask them what they know or have researched about your breed. Many have owned the breed before and some have done quite a bit of reading. It's great to hear people ask about Health testing and their reasons for contacting a registered breeder.

Good luck with the birth/s. Siberian Huskys are such lovely dogs. It's so sad to see they are often on the "Rescue" and "Adoption" listings. I can understand and applaude you wanting to home then correctly. Also... as you now know you'll have to revise you strategy for keeping the dog away from the bitch when you have decided it's not time for another litter just yet! LOL :bolt:

Silverhaze- How young can you get them desexed?

LizT- Best of luck with your litter! You have to be super excited!

Great advice. Thanks. I guess Im just a little worried because no one has really expressed interest yet. I have one great home lined up if theres a submissive male. It is a shame how many people want a sibe but then find out they are too much work for them or they are just not the right fit for them. I dont want that to happen to my puppies. I want them to be a perfect fit to their families who will adapt to their individual needs.

lol yea im thinking about pad locking the crates, putting steel doors and barb-wiring everything between them!

Silverhaze- How young can you get them desexed?

You can have them desexed as early as 8 weeks. I must admit we have not done one of ours so young as of yet, but i wouldn't hesitate to do it if i had any doubts. For our puppy buyers purchasing pets, we instead ask for a security payment which is refunded upon proof of desexing, or alternatley we will arrange for the pup to be desexed at our vets. This has worked out really well so far with the pups we have bred.

Firstly congratulations on your expecting litter - hope all goes well for you and your girl.

I breed Pomeranians - my first litter was born last December - After I had made my final decisions on keeping one for show I advertised the other two as pets and desexed - I certainly found it did clear out most of the "wanna be breeders" but I did get some that rung to ask if they could not be desexed, but with those inquiries it was pretty OBVIOUS what their intentions were so I just told them to go else where :)

I have my second litter here now - they are 8 weeks and again I have advertised them being desexed but this time they will be desexed prior to leaving. I just want peace of mind that non of my pups end up in the homes of an unethical backyard breeder or puppy mill - not to mention our breed is hard enough to breed from when you are ethical and experienced - most of the time we sell tiny girls because they are far too small to bred with, so it is risky to sell entire, even with a desexing contract - you really can not be sure whether the purchaser will take your word for it or not and go ahead any way and breed them - So I get all my pups desexed if they are going to pet homes!

I discussed with my vet at 7 weeks when they went in for their first shots about the early desexing for my peace of mind - I have just moved so I am new with this vet, but so far he has been fantastic and performs the early desexing for a Cav breeder and also for the RSPCA on both pups and kittens.

I use my breed as an example as they are considerably small and I would think your breed because of its size you may be able to have your pups done earlier then I would - But my vet has mentioned that my pups have to make 1 kilo before he touches them. One pup is a big boy and is already clearing the 1 kilo mark, his brother has a little way to go. So looks like a few more weeks and they will get it done and leave for their new homes. But generally it is around 8 weeks onwards.

Another pom breeder has been doing the early desexing for many many years and she swears by it - she finds the pups recover much faster then a 6 months old, I have also been told that it can also prevent boy pups learning to cock their legs, and also reduces testicular and ovarian cancers?

All the best to you and your girl - may everything go smooth sailing and you get some beautiful healthy puppies and a happy healthy mum :thumbsup:

Thanks partipaws!

Has there ever been any issues with desexing a puppy so young? I just dont want one to die because of it. I know our HS here will desex as young as 4 weeks (My first dog was desexed that young.) but they dont care if they loose a puppy or two. I would take them to my vet to get it done of course.

Thanks partipaws!

Has there ever been any issues with desexing a puppy so young? I just dont want one to die because of it. I know our HS here will desex as young as 4 weeks (My first dog was desexed that young.) but they dont care if they loose a puppy or two. I would take them to my vet to get it done of course.

For some reason early desexing doesn't sit well with me. My vets wont do it before 6 months even though the council expects puppies to be registered at three months of age now and you need the papers to show it's been done. I do see the merits of it but I seem to have a "block' with it??

Edited by LizT

I often find you weed out alot of the "wanna breeds" by simply saying that the puppy will be desexed before it leaves.

Yes that sure gets rid of the undesirables. Mine are desexed before they leave me.

Also to find out if they do BYB you can type their email address into a google search, you would be suprised how many can come up in puppy ads. Or type in Ads by then their email.

A good sign is if they have had the breed before & their dog lived to a good age & they are ready for a new baby.

So many of my enquirers have had a poodle before & lost it to old age :laugh:

The rest is asking questions but some get good at giving you the right answers & gut instinct, which is not fail safe.

It sure is hard whether with 1st or 5th litter. We want to get it so right.

Good luck :D

Christina- Thanks! I hadnt thought about googling their email address!

Right now I think I am pretty set on getting the puppies desexed before they leave and telling people their 'deposit' is for the desexing of the puppy. So it is just part of the puppy price. I dont plan on having another litter for a long time so I guess i can just watch how these ones grow up and see if I still agree with desexing at an early age.

I did read that pups who are desexed at a young age tend to grow taller, have less bone and narrow chest. Have you found this to be true?

• 2 weeks later...