New Survey

Steve

Also how many people stop breeding because the breed has become "the " dog of the decade so to speak and quality is hard to find ?

We asked why they stopped and so far I can see only two who have given that as a reason.

Interesting survey, Julie. I answered this morning and just logged in to see what results you might have had.

While I am curious about how long someone owned before breeding, I am equally concerned about the light level of experience. Next/other question would be did you get mentoring in breeding?

Cheers,

Judith-Ann

Too true Judith Ann. Our breed isn't the easiest but I accredit the tremendous support and mentoring from so many of the older, long gone breeders that helped me over many of the 'humps' in those early years, This sort of support isn't often seen nowadays and it can be a lonely road without genuine assistance and empathy from like minded breeders.

Those graphs are interesting. Do you think that the reason people only breed for 3-5 years is they have one bitch, breed from her twice and then desex and not have another breeding bitch?

Id say so - other similar studies have shown people stay in breeding for an average of around 6 years so it looks like this is backing that up.

What it means though is that the majority of people who are breeding are at the low end of the experience end.

true but try helping them, the majority are polite but not interested, they know it all. read the standard, have the books. who do u think u are?

even the nice ones, leave me breathless, just listening to em, selecting "bloodlines" like they think its a cake receipe. one of the reasons the ones ive seen jump, is discovering not all puppies turn out healty and sound. one or two and they get rattled, "ethical breeders dont get this happen" the breeder i got mine from mustnt have been ethical :laugh:

so that ones name becomes mud, n if they are sensitatve they too give up and out.

so out goes the dogs, in comes a "better one" usually at great cost, testing etc, n something else gets found, orr whelping problems and one too many midnight runs to the vet sorts a lot out too.

Edited by asal

post-199-1283828082_thumb.jpg

Hi Steve

Just wondering if there are any more graphs/ info that you can publish. Just interested to see how this survey is moving along.

Pam

Just thought I should give this topic another gentle nudge.:0))

Are there any further replies, or updates. please ... OR is this /survey topic just going to die a natarul death???????

Pam

No it wont die a natural death at least not for a while.

The graphs are easy because all I have to do is download them but most of the other answers are written and take more work for me to pull apart.

Hang on Im coming.

Those graphs are interesting. Do you think that the reason people only breed for 3-5 years is they have one bitch, breed from her twice and then desex and not have another breeding bitch?

What it means though is that the majority of people who are breeding are at the low end of the experience end.

That's a bit scary. It would be interesting to know which breeds people stay with the longest. Like when there is a fad and everyone is breeding a popular breed vs people who have a not so over bred breed.

Don't know about other breeds, but at our first Border Collie National Show in 2006 (breed entry of over 400 + agility, obedience & herding), there was photo taken of all the breeders who had been with the breed for 20+ years. I would estimate that at least 70% of the exhibitors there on the day were in that photo. Among show breeders we have far more "old hands" than newcombers. Most of the new breeders have no interest in the future of the breed and are just breeding with inferior stock to get coloured puppies. The newer breeders that are doing the right thing are very small in numbers, which is not good for the future of our breed.

WOW! :laugh:

post-199-1283996231_thumb.jpg

Hi Steve

Thanks for the update.

Does the survey still indicate that most of the replies are from ANKC registered breeders? if so I think the graph showing breeding for the pet market and money is a bit of a worry.

Pam

Me too. It would be interesting to see how the numbers who breed primarily for money break down into registered/non registered breeders, if you're collecting that info.

WOW! :rofl:

Actually I'm surprised the percentage of show breeders was that high. Among the Border Collie breeders listed here on DOL, I can only count about 83 out of 217 that are breeding for the showring. A few more breed specifically for performance dogs but the majority are just breeding for profit or the pet market. For me a dead give away of their intention is the fact that they only use their own "stud dogs". Anyone breeding a popular breed for the showring uses the best stud dog for their bitch, not just the one in their backyard.

WOW! :laugh:

Hi Steve

Thanks for the update.

Does the survey still indicate that most of the replies are from ANKC registered breeders? if so I think the graph showing breeding for the pet market and money is a bit of a worry.

Pam

Me too. It would be interesting to see how the numbers who breed primarily for money break down into registered/non registered breeders, if you're collecting that info.

270 registered breeders responded as @ 2 mins ago and of them 32 said they were breeding primarily for money and 52 for the pet market.114 for the show ring.

Edited by Steve

These ones are in numbers because its too hard to work out the percentages.

Reason why you have left or would leave breeding dogs alone.

1. Too many regulations /laws 76

2. Breed politics 51

3. Fear of litigation 39

4.Too stressed about finding approriate homes 23

5. Too many genetic problems 22

6. Finances 18

7. Breeder Getting too old or ill health 15

8. Too emotionally taxing 12

9. Time 10

10 tail docking ban 8

Great info!

Can you crunch the numbers to break down each group of breeders?

For example, in the group of people who breed for money, what is the breakdown of why they would leave breeding (of course the same for each group of breeders).

Would be very interesting to see if the reasons people leave breeding are different depending on why they breed in the first place.

Edited by shortstep

270 registered breeders responded as @ 2 mins ago and of them 32 said they were breeding primarily for money and 52 for the pet market.114 for the show ring.

So that is 198 Registered breeders accounted for.

What reasons did the other 72 registered breeders say they bred for?