Just Wondering What Dry Food Is The Most Concentrated

I'm not looking to change food but just was thinking about quantities etc and wondered what dry food is the most "concentrated" (for want of a better word!)

ie often have to give huge amounts of cheap supermarket dry food vs only having to give a smaller amount of premium high quality dry food.

Just so I can compare apples with apples, I have a large breed male (27kg) who currently has 2 cups morning and night.

Edited by fiveplusone

I use Artemis and give my 27kg Golden Retriever around 2 metric cups a day (1 morning and night).

ETA: She has been on this food/amount for about 9 months and has maintained her weight.

I struggled to keep weight on with other brands of super premium dog foods using the same amount.

The exception was Artemis working dog formula which made her rather heavy.

Edited by ✽deelee

That seems like alot for a grown dog. One of my dogs is approx 30 kg and she gets 1.5 cups of dry a day. My 6 month old Dobermann puppy gets about 3 cups of dry plus some raw every day and he is 30 kg and a growing pup!

What brand are you feeding? I have fed a couple of different brands of dry food over the years (mostly premium, but not always) and while the amount fed has varied a little bit between them there was never a huge difference for my dogs to maintain their body weight.

ETA I currently feed a combination of raw and Black Hawk Holistic Adult food - no corn, wheat or beetpulp and meat (lamb) is the main ingredient.

Edited by dobesrock

That seems like alot for a grown dog. One of my dogs is approx 30 kg and she gets 1.5 cups of dry a day. My 6 month old Dobermann puppy gets about 3 cups of dry plus some raw every day and he is 30 kg and a growing pup!

What brand are you feeding? I have fed a couple of different brands of dry food over the years (mostly premium, but not always) and while the amount fed has varied a little bit between them there was never a huge difference for my dogs to maintain their body weight.

ETA I currently feed a combination of raw and Black Hawk Holistic Adult food - no corn, wheat or beetpulp and meat (lamb) is the main ingredient.

Sorry I should have added he's only 10 months so still on puppy amounts.

Ah, that makes more sense! :thumbsup:

I would have to say the best food I have found that packs the most nutrition into the smallest amount would be EVO. Am still hoping that one day it will be available through shops other than the current chain of stores that sell it.

Edited by dobesrock

Ah, that makes more sense! :thumbsup:

I would have to say the best food I have found that packs the most nutrition into the smallest amount would be EVO. Am still hoping that one day it will be available through shops other than the current chain of stores that sell it.

Just wanted to second what Dobesrock said, Innova Evo is a high protein, no grain food but I cannot bring myself to buy it because of the shops which sell it. Very unfortunate

Well, it's a good thing that more grain free foods are now on the market here.

Artemis Maximal is chicken protein based, fantastic for building muscle mass and getting weight on those hard to build up dogs.

Canidae has grain free All Life Stages which is Chicken, Lamb, Turkey and Fish and a lower protein content than most grain frees, which suits some dogs well. It also has grain free Salmon, which is purely fish protein and also calorie dense.

Earthborn Holistic has Primitive Natural, which is a multi protein mix and seems to suit a good cross section of dogs.

I personally loved Orijen, which of course is not available here anymore, but find that all of the above fit the bill a whole lot better for my current dog (and past dogs) than Evo ever did when I trialled it.

If grains are okay, then Artemis Osopure Power is an amazing food for muscle support and building body weight - but like all high energy foods, it must be fed at lesser amounts than less dense foods to ensure proper weight is maintained when reached.

Sags

Edited by Sagittarian

When I can I feed Hills or Eukanuba adult which is about 330 grams a day (some with it's own little cup measure thing)

I also sometimes feed supercoat or Chum, depending on finances, but have always found the hills only that tiny bit dearer in the long run, but I've always been more impressed with it.

My kids are all kelpies, two of them have sensitive stomaches, one worse than the other, and I can only feed those brands.

My 30 kg Australian Shepherd boy has just a cup of kibble per day and a raw chicken drumstick. And the current kibble being fed is a mix of Uncle Albers and Coprice Family Dog, so not even super premium.

Dusty is around 25 kg and she has about the same of Supercoat.

I was sent a sample of Black Hawk Holistic and the dogs love it so I'm now waiting on a quote for a couple of bags to be freighted to me.