Police Use Tasers On Pit Bulls

samoyedman

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/police-use-stun-...0902-14r02.html

Drugs, jewellery and $160,000 in cash has been uncovered at a Sydney home a day after police raided it and used stun guns on aggressive pit-bull terriers.

The drug sting was carried out yesterday by officers investigating the supply of prohibited drugs in Five Dock, in Sydney's west.

They allegedly discovered more than $500,000 in cash in $50 and $100 notes hidden in a drawer at the Rodd Road home.

They also allege that the 68-year-old resident had supplied an undercover officer with heroin on six occasions.

During the raid, officers uncovered two stun guns and used Tasers on two large and aggressive pit-bull terriers, who then hid in the backyard.

A man was arrested and taken to Campsie Police Station.

Police continued to search the home today, allegedly uncovering another $160,000 in cash along with a quantity of drugs and jewellery.

The man has appeared in court charged with 45 offences including urging a dog to attack, four counts of ongoing supply of a prohibited drug and 38 counts of supplying a prohibited drug.

He was remanded in custody to appear in court again on October 22.

Police said investigations into the matter were continuing.

AAP

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/police-use-stun-...0902-14r02.html
Drugs, jewellery and $160,000 in cash has been uncovered at a Sydney home a day after police raided it and used stun guns on aggressive pit-bull terriers.

The drug sting was carried out yesterday by officers investigating the supply of prohibited drugs in Five Dock, in Sydney's west.

They allegedly discovered more than $500,000 in cash in $50 and $100 notes hidden in a drawer at the Rodd Road home.

They also allege that the 68-year-old resident had supplied an undercover officer with heroin on six occasions.

During the raid, officers uncovered two stun guns and used Tasers on two large and aggressive pit-bull terriers, who then hid in the backyard

A man was arrested and taken to Campsie Police Station.

Police continued to search the home today, allegedly uncovering another $160,000 in cash along with a quantity of drugs and jewellery.

The man has appeared in court charged with 45 offences including urging a dog to attack, four counts of ongoing supply of a prohibited drug and 38 counts of supplying a prohibited drug.

He was remanded in custody to appear in court again on October 22.

Police said investigations into the matter were continuing.

AAP

Don't know quite what to make of this. If the raid was planned, surely the police knew about the dogs? :laugh: Had they planned to use the stun-guns on the dogs, I wonder? Surely not? Why not a tranquiliser gun? I guess a stun-gun was better than a real rifle, though. Hope the dogs didn't have to go through the same ordeal when the police returned today? Hopefully, someone had taken them in? After all, any dog should be forgiven for trying to protect it's owner and territory, surely? Poor doggies :laugh: Hope they get a nice new owner, if this low-life is going to jail.

If the police are doing a raid then they can't waste time trying to tranq dogs before going into a house. The idea is to get in there quickly so the person they are after cannot get away.

I doubt very much that these dogs will get a new home. Honestly I wouldn't really want them to be re-homed. These kind of people have dogs like that for a reason - to be aggressive and attack - not the kind of dog I would be wasting time and resources on if I was a rescue. Plenty of others out there that can be saved and rehomed succesfully.

Also, how do they know they are pitbulls? Aren't pittys medium size dogs? These were described as being 'large' dogs.

If the police are doing a raid then they can't waste time trying to tranq dogs before going into a house. The idea is to get in there quickly so the person they are after cannot get away.

I doubt very much that these dogs will get a new home. Honestly I wouldn't really want them to be re-homed. These kind of people have dogs like that for a reason - to be aggressive and attack - not the kind of dog I would be wasting time and resources on if I was a rescue. Plenty of others out there that can be saved and rehomed succesfully.

Also, how do they know they are pitbulls? Aren't pittys medium size dogs? These were described as being 'large' dogs.

Agree with you - police don't have time to wait until a tranquiliser starts to work - they want quick and effective control. These dogs would probably not be able to be re-homed due to their upbringing. Pitty's are medium sized, but I get the American Dogs magazine and the Pitbulls that are advertised in that magazine are just amazing - they have been bred to be these enormous oversized dogs, nothing like the standards for an APBTl. Oversized heads, massive square shoulders, enormous thick necks and much taller. When you see these APBTs in the magazine you would seriously wonder if they are one and the same breed.

Agree with you - police don't have time to wait until a tranquiliser starts to work - they want quick and effective control. These dogs would probably not be able to be re-homed due to their upbringing. Pitty's are medium sized, but I get the American Dogs magazine and the Pitbulls that are advertised in that magazine are just amazing - they have been bred to be these enormous oversized dogs, nothing like the standards for an APBTl. Oversized heads, massive square shoulders, enormous thick necks and much taller. When you see these APBTs in the magazine you would seriously wonder if they are one and the same breed.

A few years ago, a friend of our's son got into some trouble with stolen car parts or something and the police went around with a search warrant. Their Rotty was out the back and wouldn't let the police into the back shed and they were told to gather the dog up or they would shoot it :laugh: I don't think a dog's well being within reason is allowed to interfere with a criminal investigation.

Fiona :laugh:

Edited by malsrock

I can never understand why those type of people who want a protection dog don't have a proper trained one's, like it's not that they can't afford it :laugh: I think a nice Rottweiler would be ideal for that type of job and trained accordingly, where is their logic on using a Pit Bull based cross breed thing or what ever those breeds are that seems to attract them???. :laugh:

Fiona :laugh:

Edited by malsrock

A few years ago, a friend of our's son got into some trouble with stolen car parts or something and the police went around with a search warrant. Their Rotty was out the back and wouldn't let the police into the back shed and they were told to gather the dog up or they would shoot it :laugh: I don't think a dog's well being within reason is allowed to interfere with a criminal investigation.

Fiona ;)

Don't get me wrong. I come from a law inforcement background, and have the utmost respect for the police and more reason than many for wanting them kept safe. A stun-gun just seems a strange weapon to use on a dog, possibly unreliable, and a bit brutal. There is usually some homework done prior to a raid, and I am surprised at the weapon of choice. And I agree that if these dogs were taught to attack and owned by scum, their temperaments may not be such that they could be re-homed. I still think it's sad that they copped this lot in life... :laugh: Also, many breeds have the instinct to defend owner and property, and could still be a decent family pet. And I don't trust any media report that states the breed of a dog, at least until I've seen a pic or footage of the dog. The media want to get their report in, and don't usually take too much time in verifying the breed of dog involved. And too many people see a large dog that COULD BE a Pit Bull, and label it such. No tears for the scum involved, but I am sad for these dogs, whatever their breed/s.. Go our Aussie police officers. :laugh: I am glad they arrested this low-life.

Personally i would be surprised if the dogs concerned are true Pitbulls, more likely just some crossbreed. Plus most police wouldn't know a true Pitbull from a daschund.

I honestly believe the term Pitbull is used in many cases to justify acts of cruelty or simply for publicity purposes.

The worst thing that the Pitbull afficianados ever did was to use the word "Pitbull" in the naming of their breed, had they just been named "American bull terrier"or something similar they would never have had the problems they do now or have attracted lowlife owners who just want such a dog because it sounds tuff, (just look at the american staffordhire terrier for example).

Also you can't blame a dog for trying to protect it's owner or property, a dog doesn't know it's owner is a drug dealer & a dog doesn't know a police officer from any other intruder. If the drug dealer was an invalid & the police were thieves people would be praising the very same dog concerned, so how do logically expect a dog to differenciate from one scenario to the other.

Edited by steve11

I agree with Steve.

The word "Pitbull" to the media is basically just a word they use to exaggerate a big scary looking dog who may or may not be dangerous.

It gives APBTs horrible names and now we can never have them here in our country. What a shame.

The oversized American dogs you see are generally "American Bullies" a breed started from the APBT crossed into AST, they are a show breed and that only and in shows dogs get prizes for "biggest head" and "shortest dog" we do not have them here thankfully[that are called american bullies] i think they would help add to the confusion joe public has identifying the two other breeds as it is.It is unfortunate that the bully breeders are still passing their dogs off as apbt's when it suits them to unknowing people who quickly find out that a pure APBT doesnt come in blue nor do they weigh 90 pounds with a build like a Bulldog.

Sorry for the thread jack, hope this clears things up.

The oversized American dogs you see are generally "American Bullies" a breed started from the APBT crossed into AST, they are a show breed and that only and in shows dogs get prizes for "biggest head" and "shortest dog" we do not have them here thankfully[that are called american bullies] i think they would help add to the confusion joe public has identifying the two other breeds as it is.It is unfortunate that the bully breeders are still passing their dogs off as apbt's when it suits them to unknowing people who quickly find out that a pure APBT doesnt come in blue nor do they weigh 90 pounds with a build like a Bulldog.

Sorry for the thread jack, hope this clears things up.

Yes ive seen the "american bullies" become more & more popular, they definitely have a great deal of neopolitan mastiff in them too. As far as i know they are another unregistered designer dog breed & destined to go down the same track as the original English Bulldog ie. exagerated body & heads that require ceasarian birth. Then there is the "American Bulldog" a breed that is recognised by the ADBA & i think the UKC will follow suit, these are at least a somewhat credible breed that breeds to "type" & has some history, unlike the "american bullies" which are purely a designer dog with no credibility whatsoever. By the way, although not commen like the AST or SBT Pitbulls do come in blue & there have been some great blue dogs in thier long history, in fact any colour is acceptable in the standard even black & tan! (a definite recipe for disaster).

Edited by steve11

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know of any programs to train police on how to deal with aggressive dogs? I'd say the dogs in question got off lightly not being shot on the spot, and the coppers were probably doing the best they could with the tools on hand. Maybe they just got the tasers and wanted to try them out. Who knows. Unless people are trained in advance about how best to handle a situation, they'll improvise.

Second all the anti-breedist remarks, and the 'scum owner' remarks.

... How different are the effects from a stun gun on a dog comapred to a human.

Given that dogs are ALOT smaller then people..

I once seen a police officer in america (on youtube) shoot a GSD X looking dog with a taser gun, he was making an arrest out the front and the dog came running down the drive i think and right at him, so he tasered it, it dropped as it got shocked and was unable to move while the shock was going through its body but as soon as the shock stopped it got straight back up and went to go him again so he had to taser it again which after that it took off pulling the barbs out and ran down the road.

So I am surprised that "two attacked trained" so called pbt took off and hid in the backyard.

Likely not sandgrubber, I dont think cops would ever carry catch poles, crates and what not in the squad cars. Thats the jobs of animal control.

Tazed is better than a bullet though.

A dart doesnt' work fast enough. OC spray just plain doesn't work.

Safety of the police officers has to come before safety of the dog. A tazer sure beats a bullet anyhow.