Dog Supplies

Dju

So, as some of you know (well, maybe only a few of you), I'll be getting a puppy soon!

Ever the bargain hunter, I've been trawling through ebay and online pet stores, looking for the best prices on the supplies that I need, but how does one know if the product really is a bargain or cheap because it's just crap?

So I was wondering if any DOLers could help me out with this :D

We'll be buying pet beds, grooming products, food bowls, a crate, and most importantly, TOYS (because they tell me Vallhunds will chew down our house), but we have no idea where to start looking.

Has anywhere out there bought something out of those categories that has lasted you and your dog for years? Been great value for money? Have any particular products you'd absolutely recommend to any new dog owner?

:) Spill those secretsssss...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got our collars form pigdogsupplies.com they're lasting well, and certainly are in the elements daily, made to size. I did see a website called rogue royalty.com.au heaps of nice stuff, but the nice stuff doesn't last long with dogs who like to chew each other collars as a game.

Beds.. ah!! stopped using them as they kept getting eaten, now the dogs have ownership of an armchair each which they don't eat, though i'm thinking of getting them one of the Kiddies fold out lounges about $20 from Kmart see how long it lasts.

Got our collars form pigdogsupplies.com they're lasting well, and certainly are in the elements daily, made to size. I did see a website called rogue royalty.com.au heaps of nice stuff, but the nice stuff doesn't last long with dogs who like to chew each other collars as a game.

Beds.. ah!! stopped using them as they kept getting eaten, now the dogs have ownership of an armchair each which they don't eat, though i'm thinking of getting them one of the Kiddies fold out lounges about $20 from Kmart see how long it lasts.

That's a really good idea! Our dogs wreck their beds too but they are allowed on the couch and stuff but I may have to copy you and pop one of those in the lounge for them.

That's a really good idea! Our dogs wreck their beds too but they are allowed on the couch and stuff but I may have to copy you and pop one of those in the lounge for them.

They even eat their own beds?? Good thing to know, I was going to go ahead and buy an expensive bed for my dog because I figured "oh what the hell, it will last a while" :D

Those are a hell of a lot of toys.. :)

I'll check out the collars though, thanks!! :D

LOL probably a slight exaggeration but I usually buy 5 or 6 new toys every couple/few weeks.

Our lab x will grab the new toy, chew it til it breaks (usually about 2 minutes. Then our wee foxy/shih tzu x jumps in once it has been broken and proceeds to eat it piece by piece so toys are often broken and have missing bits within the first day.

I did buy a knot thingy about 3 months ago which is lastign really well, they love it (it's one of their "quiet" inside toys) and thrash it, but so far there are no breaks and the loose ends are still in tact - I got that from the vet

They even eat their own beds?? Good thing to know, I was going to go ahead and buy an expensive bed for my dog because I figured "oh what the hell, it will last a while" :D

That is my dogs favourite thing to attack.

I used to buy nice beds too and then when we were gonna throw out an old foam queen size mattress, I decided to cut it into pieces and give it to them for a bed. I cut the right size, then sewed a thick blanket round it. They proceeded to chew through the blanket to the yummy foam underneath and put massive holes in. I recovered it and they have done it again so I have stopped fixing it and they now sleep on it with a big hole in the middle that you can see the floor through (which the wee one loves to sleep in) LOL

:D So the tug toy rope things are a good investment then? I had a feeling that the thick ropes couldn't be chewed that easily. But I heard about really tough toys on the market like.. Kong Wubba or something like that, which is impossible for dogs to chew through or something like that.

I'll probably opt for the kmart fold-out kid sofas as well, they're cheap enough to break.

:D So the tug toy rope things are a good investment then? I had a feeling that the thick ropes couldn't be chewed that easily. But I heard about really tough toys on the market like.. Kong Wubba or something like that, which is impossible for dogs to chew through or something like that.

I'll probably opt for the kmart fold-out kid sofas as well, they're cheap enough to break.

Yea the ropey things dont seem too bad (the ones without any plastic/rubbery bits). Mine have a couple. One for inside (they are only allowed non squeky toys inside LOL) and then one outside, which gets trashed all day while we are at work and that one has lost it's loose end, but we have had it for over a year now (was a pressy for the dogs when they arrived from NZ in July last year) and it still looks pretty good

I haven't tried a Kong yet even though I have heard good things about them. My concern is that I will spend loads of money on a couple and then th ebuggerw ill demolish them anyway LMAO

Cool, so I'll add a rope toy to my list. I was initially worried that playing tug would promote aggression (this is what one of my neighbors have been telling me). But then again my neighbors have aggressive dogs without rope toys so I'm not sure I should trust their advice :D

Cool, so I'll add a rope toy to my list. I was initially worried that playing tug would promote aggression (this is what one of my neighbors have been telling me). But then again my neighbors have aggressive dogs without rope toys so I'm not sure I should trust their advice :D

:)

I don't think it promotes aggression. Both my dogs are sooks. They play tug of war together and it always sounds nasty but they are just playing (really the litle dog just gets dragged round making a load of noise LOL). We also play tug of war with them and the little dog growls and snarls....the big dog won't actually play it with us much. Shock horror, we even let them win tug of war soemtimes LOL

Cool, so I'll add a rope toy to my list. I was initially worried that playing tug would promote aggression (this is what one of my neighbors have been telling me). But then again my neighbors have aggressive dogs without rope toys so I'm not sure I should trust their advice :)

;)

I don't think it promotes aggression. Both my dogs are sooks. They play tug of war together and it always sounds nasty but they are just playing (really the litle dog just gets dragged round making a load of noise LOL). We also play tug of war with them and the little dog growls and snarls....the big dog won't actually play it with us much. Shock horror, we even let them win tug of war soemtimes LOL

Haha, you gotta let the kids win sometimes.. :laugh:

I might actually make my own tug toy. Heaps of great websites out there that teach you how to make your own dog toys :D Was considering making one of those condom beds too, but for hours work..... if it's gonna get chewed up instantly, I'd rather just buy the $20 kmart fold-out kidsofa! :laugh:

Kongs, Cuz & Aussie Dog Toys are the only ones that my destructo dogs can't eat thru :rofl:

Kongs

Cuz Toys (this site actually has quite a few heavy duty toys)

Aussie Dog Toys

As for beds, mine had blankets and reject shop beds until they learnt to respect their beds. They only respect their inside beds.. the outside ones get destroyed in a day.. :rofl:

They have these Bone Fido beds as their inside beds :rofl:

Kongs, Cuz & Aussie Dog Toys are the only ones that my destructo dogs can't eat thru :rofl:

Kongs

Aussie Dog Toys

As for beds, mine had blankets and reject shop beds until they learnt to respect their beds. They only respect their inside beds.. the outside ones get destroyed in a day.. :rofl:

Youre cat is just gorgeous!

LOL what is a condom bed?

What kind of pup are you getting?

Swedish Vallhund :rofl: "Bloody long legs on those wombats!" :rofl:

A condom bed looks like a condom :rofl:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php...;threadid=70758

Just don't go looking up "condom bed" on google images....... :rofl:

Kongs

Aussie Dog Toys

I've heard about the Cuz toys as well! Thanks for the link :rofl: Vallhunds are big chewers apparently.

I was looking at the reject shop beds, I don't remember if they were that expensive but they had a few interesting pet supplies there.. BonoFido beds I hear can outlast a lot of chewers out there!