Dog Supplies

Dju

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kong Wubba or something like that, which is impossible for dogs to chew through or something like that.

Unfortunately that's wrong! Kong Wubbas can be chewed through quite easily.. Took 4 months for my two to get around to it, and that's rare.. normally things are killed in a day. Their second Wubba only lasted a night before they put a hole in it. They still play with the 'skin" from the first one though :) They are great toys though, Ozpetshop is the cheapest I've found. Our everlasting Fun Ball hasn't been killed yet, its tougher than the Fireplug which I was recently bragging hadn't been killed, but now it has :)

Cuz toys are the best.

Shell: I want all your things.... especially the blow dryer.... *drools* and the CC brushes... and the ruthless collar... and the harness... Although, I want one of these:

c9c6_1_sbl.JPG

Over a soft crate :laugh:

(Excuse the image not being my own, I don't own one, yet!)

edited to make link and image :D

No you don't Demo :)

I have had mine since February and it has fallen apart, one wheel has fallen off, all the pins holding it together have fallen out, it is very unsteady and unstable and the bluddy thing attacks me :)

Save your money and buy a good quality one, it is something I would never scrimp on again :)

Edited by SnoPaws

Kong Wubba or something like that, which is impossible for dogs to chew through or something like that.

Unfortunately that's wrong! Kong Wubbas can be chewed through quite easily.. Took 4 months for my two to get around to it, and that's rare.. normally things are killed in a day. Their second Wubba only lasted a night before they put a hole in it. They still play with the 'skin" from the first one though :laugh: They are great toys though, Ozpetshop is the cheapest I've found. Our everlasting Fun Ball hasn't been killed yet, its tougher than the Fireplug which I was recently bragging hadn't been killed, but now it has :rofl:

Cuz toys are the best.

I can't believe it took 4 months for your dogs to kill a Kong Wubba that got killed in about 2 days here, yet my Leo is going strong and yours lasted a couple of hours :D

Unfortunately that's wrong! Kong Wubbas can be chewed through quite easily.. Took 4 months for my two to get around to it, and that's rare.. normally things are killed in a day. Their second Wubba only lasted a night before they put a hole in it. They still play with the 'skin" from the first one though :laugh: They are great toys though, Ozpetshop is the cheapest I've found. Our everlasting Fun Ball hasn't been killed yet, its tougher than the Fireplug which I was recently bragging hadn't been killed, but now it has :rofl:

Cuz toys are the best.

I can't believe it took 4 months for your dogs to kill a Kong Wubba that got killed in about 2 days here, yet my Leo is going strong and yours lasted a couple of hours :D

So maybe Kong Wubba is not the best investment then :rofl:

I buy soft toys from the bargain bins in pet stores. The dogs don't care what they look like and I don't care if they get nailed after a few hours because they only cost me a few dollars. Occasionally OH wants to buy them a toy and inevitably gets them a huge soft toy that makes weird noises that they will thoroughly adore. Tug toys I buy online from agility sites, though. Any normal toy I buy from a pet store won't last a single tug game with Erik. He just pulls very hard. :D Tightly braided fleece works well.

My dogs didn't get beds until they were over a year old. Before that they got old doonas or blankets.

Ruff Wear harnesses are awesome. :laugh:

I have CC brushes for Kivi and think they are worth it, but I wouldn't bother paying that much for them for Erik. Anything goes through Erik's coat just fine, really. The short pin brush is pretty good for him.

Think about how you're going to secure Hugo in the car.

I buy soft toys from the bargain bins in pet stores. The dogs don't care what they look like and I don't care if they get nailed after a few hours because they only cost me a few dollars. Occasionally OH wants to buy them a toy and inevitably gets them a huge soft toy that makes weird noises that they will thoroughly adore. Tug toys I buy online from agility sites, though. Any normal toy I buy from a pet store won't last a single tug game with Erik. He just pulls very hard. :dancingelephant: Tightly braided fleece works well.

My dogs didn't get beds until they were over a year old. Before that they got old doonas or blankets.

Ruff Wear harnesses are awesome. :rofl:

I have CC brushes for Kivi and think they are worth it, but I wouldn't bother paying that much for them for Erik. Anything goes through Erik's coat just fine, really. The short pin brush is pretty good for him.

Think about how you're going to secure Hugo in the car.

RUFF WEAR, definitely! You'll have to remind me what size Erik is again. I think you said xxsmall but I can't remember D:

We have a four door sedan and mom doesn't want the dog in her car at all so I'll probably be opting for one of these:

http://www.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/pc/Pet-Car...24cm-p14758.htm

It sounds good in theory but I'm not sure well it will work.. hm.

I'll be braiding my own tug toys because I think doing that stuff is fun and I want to make him a present for when he comes home :)

Kongs, Cuz & Aussie Dog Toys are the only ones that my destructo dogs can't eat thru :rofl:

Cuz Toys (this site actually has quite a few heavy duty toys)

My two (wheaten and kerry respectively) can destroy a cuz toy within a couple of hours.

The problem with these is they don't squeak. My dogs aren't interested in things that don't make a noise.

Unfortunately that's wrong! Kong Wubbas can be chewed through quite easily.. Took 4 months for my two to get around to it, and that's rare.. normally things are killed in a day. Their second Wubba only lasted a night before they put a hole in it. They still play with the 'skin" from the first one though :rofl: They are great toys though, Ozpetshop is the cheapest I've found. Our everlasting Fun Ball hasn't been killed yet, its tougher than the Fireplug which I was recently bragging hadn't been killed, but now it has :thumbsup:

Cuz toys are the best.

I can't believe it took 4 months for your dogs to kill a Kong Wubba that got killed in about 2 days here, yet my Leo is going strong and yours lasted a couple of hours :)

Ironic huh :dancingelephant: Btw, second leo lasted a day :thumbsup: and that first leo didn't make it past 15 minutes!!

Edited by Bundy's Mum

Kongs, Cuz & Aussie Dog Toys are the only ones that my destructo dogs can't eat thru :)

Cuz Toys (this site actually has quite a few heavy duty toys)

My two (wheaten and kerry respectively) can destroy a cuz toy within a couple of hours.

The problem with these is they don't squeak. My dogs aren't interested in things that don't make a noise.

I thought squeakers could become dangerous if they come outside the toys? :eek: Maybe I'll have to encourage him to get interested in food-filled toys instead :eek:

I thought squeakers could become dangerous if they come outside the toys? :eek: Maybe I'll have to encourage him to get interested in food-filled toys instead :eek:

Yes, they can. As soon as the squeaker is removed, I use bribery to get it away from my dog. I don't leave him unsupervised with toys.

I thought squeakers could become dangerous if they come outside the toys? :eek: Maybe I'll have to encourage him to get interested in food-filled toys instead :)

Yes, they can. As soon as the squeaker is removed, I use bribery to get it away from my dog. I don't leave him unsupervised with toys.

Bribery works XD What about when you leave him alone and expect him to entertain himself? Does he have some toys for those times? :eek:

I thought squeakers could become dangerous if they come outside the toys? :eek: Maybe I'll have to encourage him to get interested in food-filled toys instead :)

Bribery works XD What about when you leave him alone and expect him to entertain himself? Does he have some toys for those times? :eek:

Absolutely not. I have two dogs and they get along very well but I'd prefer there be no tears. Princess Mini is usually very amenable and gives up toys when Grumpy wants them but I'd rather not take the chance without me there to supervise.

Absolutely not. I have two dogs and they get along very well but I'd prefer there be no tears. Princess Mini is usually very amenable and gives up toys when Grumpy wants them but I'd rather not take the chance without me there to supervise.

Oohh okay. See I'm only going to be getting one dog for now and I was wondering how to keep him entertained while I'm at school.

I'll definitely have to go and have a look--I'll check on dogs qld, maybe there are show dates there that I can figure out somehow.

Dogs Qld have all their shows advertised here...

http://www.dogsqueensland.org.au/Show-Schedules.aspx

You just need to click on the month you're after and have a read. Most of the shows are held at Durack.

In my opinion, its best to purchase good quality grooming equipment (etc brushes, combs) from the beginning. They do tend to be more expensive, but they last much longer and are better for the dog's coat.

I've purchased grooming equipment online (eg. petnetwork) and also from show vans at dog shows. You can generally find show vans set up at Durack and a few of the other larger shows.

Oh cool, Durack isn't that far away either :thumbsup:

I'm probably gonna have a chat with my breeder--already started buying things for my puppy, but things like food and grooming equipment.. I'll ask the breeder what works. A pin brush is a definite though.

So, as some of you know (well, maybe only a few of you), I'll be getting a puppy soon!

Ever the bargain hunter, I've been trawling through ebay and online pet stores, looking for the best prices on the supplies that I need, but how does one know if the product really is a bargain or cheap because it's just crap?

So I was wondering if any DOLers could help me out with this :thumbsup:

We'll be buying pet beds, grooming products, food bowls, a crate, and most importantly, TOYS (because they tell me Vallhunds will chew down our house), but we have no idea where to start looking.

Has anywhere out there bought something out of those categories that has lasted you and your dog for years? Been great value for money? Have any particular products you'd absolutely recommend to any new dog owner?

:) Spill those secretsssss...

Hi,

Most dogs like to feel enclosed while sleeping, so try getting a cardboard box from the supermarket or appliance store--you can always add old towels for bedding. Since the box was free, it doesn't matter if your puppy chews it up, and eventually he will grow out of that stage and then you can buy a more expensive permanent bed. Another larger box can be used a toy, by turning it upside down and cutting tunnel holes in it.

Plastic cordial bottles can be great toys, as long as you remove the plastic rings at the top and check them daily for damage. You can put a few pieces of kibble in them like a food ball and show your pup how to kick them around to get the food out, and the dog will enjoy racing around carrying the bottle by the handle. Ice cream cartons make a great noise when dog scrapes them along concrete, they can be carried around and tossed in the air, but throw them away after they are chewed (but I'm sure all your friends and relatives will be delighted to find someone who wants their empty plastic cartons!) The cartons can also be used to freeze a sardine in water and give to your dog in hot weather. Try searching on Google for "home alone activities dogs" for other cheap ideas.

Food balls are great (about $15-$30)-- just don't give them to an active dog if you have floor to ceiling glass doors and windows as they soon learn to hit the balls very hard to get food out --I speak from experience here!

Aussiedog stuff is expensive but worth every penny -- lifetime guarentee (they are sold to zoos for lions and elephants to play with) and if you add up the cost of those cheap toys that only last a few days you can see what value they are.

My dog is nearly 8 years old and still loves to charge around with her ice cream cartons and drink bottles; at least half her meals are fed from a food ball which is much more exciting way to eat then out of a dish and food lasts much longer, so an expensive food ball will probably be a good investment.

cheers

Sandra

Thanks sooo much for all the information, very useful!! :thumbsup: We have an Aldi nearby that we're always pinching boxes from for nests for our chickens, I completely forgot that I could use them for the dog too lol! The cardboard isn't dangerous if the puppy chews and eats it, is it?