Arthritis Injections?

Emma has been on the Zydax injections every three months for her arthritis, but we recently switched vets and the new vet doesn't offer Zydax, instead they have something else called.. Metacam? Pentacam? Oh god, for the life of me I cannot remember what it's called.. Anyways, just wondering is there a difference between different brands of arthritis injections, so to speak? I always just thought they were all just the same shots of carthrophen, but I could be wrong. Do they work differently, and is it a bad idea to switch shots?

Any advice is great, tia! :thumbsup:

Hey SC. Take a look at my thread called Metacam. I researched online last night and it is an non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug which is used in the treatment of arthritis according to the website.

There is a link in my original post which links to an older thread on this forum regarding its use as well.

Have fun reading! :rofl:

The active ingredient of Zydax and Catrophen is Pentosan polysulfate sodium, so they are all, essentially the same thing.

My Zoe started with the Zydax injections and then when we changed to see the Chirovet he gave Pentosan, which was much cheaper. And I actually noticed a difference when I took her to him, but realised it was the Chiro she got greater benefit from :kissbetter:

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Does anyone know if the dosage of the shots would have to be different when switching between brands? Or is it all one standardized dosage..?

There are 3 injections Pentosan, Zydax & Cartrophen, they are all the exact same product

Thank you!! :laugh: Exactly the answer I was hoping for.

Hey SC. Take a look at my thread called Metacam. I researched online last night and it is an non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug which is used in the treatment of arthritis according to the website.

Thanks! :eek: I did read your thread but I wasn't completely sure if it was the injection I was thinking of or not.

Mokha is on Zydax,at his last monthly injection my vet mentioned that the manufacturer had tweaked the formula a bit and asked me to let her know if I noticed any difference good or bad in Mokha compared to usual. Has anyone else had their vet mention this?

They did adjust the formula recently - I haven't had anyone report a difference, although the injection itself is a different colour. I have used all 3 formulations (Pentosan, Zydax and Cartrophen) and (completely subjectively) I find that more dogs have more rapid and positive response to the Zydax injections despite having the same active ingredient.

They did adjust the formula recently - I haven't had anyone report a difference, although the injection itself is a different colour. I have used all 3 formulations (Pentosan, Zydax and Cartrophen) and (completely subjectively) I find that more dogs have more rapid and positive response to the Zydax injections despite having the same active ingredient.

Thanks Rappie, Mokha was really active after having his last injection, it was about 10 days overdue. I could not say whether it was the new formulation Zydax or the slightly warmer temperatures we were having that made him really puppy like. I will have to see next month whether he is really good again right after the shot. It always helps but he is not usually that over the top in the following days.