Hybrid/four Third Cameras

KumaAkita

So I'm looking at getting a new camera and am thinking about an entry-level DSLR (Nikon D3100 or Canon D1000 or similar). My question though is what do people think about the Four Thirds/Hybrid models that have come out?

Here's my thinking... if I got a DSLR, I'd probably also get a point and shoot for handbag convenience at parties etc. This then seems pointless as I'd end up having two cameras. If I went a hybrid style, it could potentially kill two birds so to speak. But by doing that, am I compromising what I'll get out of a full-sized DSLR???

I think there's only the Olympus, Panasonic or Sony NEX-3 or NEX-5 to choose from in that range, and the price point is the same as an entry-level DSLR.

aaaarrrgggghhhh... so hard! I just wanna take nice photos of my puppy :kissbetter:

i have no idea the hybrid camera you are after, but i think i prefer having them separate. i have a new smaller point and shoot than my old one, which i carry around with me all the time 'just in case'. but i like what the dslr can do. i don't think i'd want them rolled into one camera, as i like having them for separate uses.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the Micro Four Thirds (aka hybrid) unless you want two things specifically from your camera & photography:

1) Compact size but with good quality still shots superior to 99% of compacts & bridging cameras; &,

2) HD video.

But if you strictly want DSLR quailty still photos, not to mention access to the best lenses that any manufacturer produces, then get an E-620 as they're about the same price as the top-of-the-range Micro Four Thirds cameras.

Having said all that, I'd suggest you wait a week before you buy anything. Olympus is about to release its new flagship model, the E-5, & there maybe a mid-range new model as well coming out either next week or at the end of September. The E-5 is rumoured to have HD video, so the mid-range one will probably have it as well. And given the prices involved with the Micro Four Thirds Range, personally speaking you may as well go the whole way & get a DSLR for about the same price.

BTW the E-620 is rather compact as DSLRs go. Its dimensions are 130.0W x 94.0H x 60.0D mm & it weighs 475 grams. Meanwhile the Pen E-P2's dimensions are 120.5W x 70.0H x 35.0D mm whilst it weighs 335 grams

Edited by DMA

the advantage of the P & S is the size and compactness, whereas with the DSLR you have the advantage of superior optical lenses to achieve the outcome. Have never heard of the hybrids, but think it sounds gimmicky, if you want to really get a DSR, then that is what I would be getting.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone... and while I appreciate your advice, I went out and got myself a Lumix G10 Micro Four Thirds. The research I saw led me down that path as the photo comparisons on dpreview.com between all the hybrids and the entry level DSLRs showed they were much of a muchness. With that in mind, I went for the hybrid for size. It has all the functionality of a the entry level DSLR with a fraction of the weight/size.

I went for the Lumix as they have the greatest range of lenses with more to be added to the range. The photo quality is quite good (from my limited experience anyway). So, I've read the book and now just have to get out and take some piccies - haven't had the chance yet... this weekend...

My best doggy shot is already on the forum, but I'll repost here coz I like it.

Kuma4.jpg

Thanks DMA, I love his face in this shot (well all the time really!)

It came with a 14-42 lens as standard, but they have 5 other lenses in the range. Maybe when I get it out of auto I can on invest in a better lens. :rofl:

He is a very handsome boy too.

And if 14-42mm is going to be your focal range you should look out for the Lumix 20mm f1.7. I hear it's the best in the M4/3rds range.