Artificial Insemination Success?

juliedamian

I have had 5 frozen AI's done on 3 different bitches, using 3 different vets.

1st litter - 5 puppies

2nd litter - 4 puppies

3rd litter - 6 puppies

4th litter - 6 puppies

5th litter - 0 puppies

My breed average litter size is around 4-5 so I think overall litter size is slightly higher.

All semen was collected and frozen using Camelot method (pellets).

With such a small gene pool it is more convenient for me to use frozen semen and I am happy with the results. I store my own semen so no problem with it getting ruined or mixed up with someone else's.

Hope this helps and good luck

I have done a surgical AI on my girl, from USA dog, scan to confirm pregnancy tomorrow. fingers crossed. This was done at ANVET beenleigh with Annette Page assisting. Annette has done some surgical and fresh for a friend of mine all successful matings. The price I was quoted by Annette for surgical AI was $750 incl 4 progs, ANVET was $600 for surgical AI and 4 progs and in my case Annette did it anyway :provoke:

Edited by ashka1

I don't know whether repo vets are doing this in Australia but in Europe they are doing AI via the cervix several times in a row like you would do with a natural mating. So 1/2 one day then 1/2 the next day.

They do it here. My bitch was done this way. I prefer that method over surgical implants, that can only be done once.

I don't know whether repo vets are doing this in Australia but in Europe they are doing AI via the cervix several times in a row like you would do with a natural mating. So 1/2 one day then 1/2 the next day.

Stuart Mason does them at Monash. The success rate of a TCI (Trans Cervical Insemination) is higher to that of a surgical insemination.

Had a scan done yesterday, min of 8 but likely more. So success for Anvet and Annette Page!

Ohh thats awesomr congrats, its a nervous thing to wait for.. :laugh:

Our girl comes into season again around mid march so we'll be going with annette she also quoted me 650-750 including 4 prog tests, anaesthetics, up to 7 days stay, evaluation and insemination so it sounds good.

I am soo nervous about it.. The surgical insemination being done all at once instead of several times as in natural matings is worrying and i supose cos its our first AI.. We breed american staffordshire terriers and i got the breeding from a stud in USA for $2000 only 1 breeding so HOPEFULLY it will work out for us..

How many straws do you usually get from 1 breeding?

Thanks everyone for the reply and info. :D

quote: How many straws do you usually get from 1 breeding?

It depends on if it was straws or pelletts ? 3-5 straws are usually considered one breeding, or a vial of pellets.

Even though the surgical implant is done only once, the semen is deposited directly into the uterus, giving it a very high chance of fertilising.

fifi

ETA: you might find this article useful:

http://www.matamatavets.co.nz/files/files/...icle%202009.pdf

Edited by fifi

The semen is deposited directly into the uterus using transcervical AI as well. I was there when Dr Watts did the procedures. One day he deposited it into one horn and the next day he deposited into the other horn. He said it didn't really matter because studies found (don't ask because I don't know) that the semen ended up travelling up the other horn anyway.

It was quite interesting to watch. All the hoopla with collection. When he thawed out the phial he just dropped into warm saline then draw it up into a syringe and deposited it, through the endo, into the bitch. He put a drop on a slide and showed me how lethargic they are then he put the slide on a warming plate for a bit, popped it back under the microscope and they were very mobile.

He also doesn't sedate the bitches. He found he gets better results this way. The nurse couldn't stop laughing at my bitch, who practically fell asleep (standing up) during each procedure.

A got the full ejeculate and that ended up being 6 phials.

I looked at Trans cervical to avoid putting my girl under anisthetic but as I also had semen bought in from the USA , 5 years ago, it is in straws and I was told by 2 repo vets, trans cervical can only be done with pellets...? Good Luck

A good video worth watching to 'de-mystify' the process is Dr Robert V Hutchison's 'Maximising Conception in the Bitch'. For those who don't know of him, he is a repro god in the US. Interestingly he mentions that when doing a surgical AI that it can be followed up with a TCI a day or two later if desired. BTW, all procedures, including TCI and surgical are shown step by step in the video. Very interesting.