Newbie Help In Brisbane

Kym

Around a month ago I got my first show pup -- a Cocker Spaniel -- from Victoria. His first show will be in around a month (he'll be 3.5 months old) and although he's lead trained and is getting reasonably good with stacking, I'm still rather nervous about the whole thing as the date gets nearer -- especially as I think he'll probably get highly distracted on the day and all our training will have been in vain anyway! :laugh:

I've got Jane Harvey's "How to Handle at a Dog Show" DVD which has been helpful, but I know that nothing beats hands-on experience. I do know that there are show training classes offered at Durack and Caboolture but unfortunately the offered evenings are just no good for me given the distance both locations are from home. I was wondering if there's anybody in Brisbane (preferably with a tabled breed) who might be willing to give us a lesson before the first show? Or, alternatively, perhaps someone can suggest another method to allay my nerves a bit? It would, of course, be a lot easier if we were in Victoria where my breeder is located as she's very involved in showing so I'm sure she'd be happy to help but, unfortunately, we're not.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Around a month ago I got my first show pup -- a Cocker Spaniel -- from Victoria. His first show will be in around a month (he'll be 3.5 months old) and although he's lead trained and is getting reasonably good with stacking, I'm still rather nervous about the whole thing as the date gets nearer -- especially as I think he'll probably get highly distracted on the day and all our training will have been in vain anyway! :laugh:

I've got Jane Harvey's "How to Handle at a Dog Show" DVD which has been helpful, but I know that nothing beats hands-on experience. I do know that there are show training classes offered at Durack and Caboolture but unfortunately the offered evenings are just no good for me given the distance both locations are from home. I was wondering if there's anybody in Brisbane (preferably with a tabled breed) who might be willing to give us a lesson before the first show? Or, alternatively, perhaps someone can suggest another method to allay my nerves a bit? It would, of course, be a lot easier if we were in Victoria where my breeder is located as she's very involved in showing so I'm sure she'd be happy to help but, unfortunately, we're not.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Talk to your breeder about contacts she/he has within the breed in your area. Most show people know people of the same breed in other states. Ideally you need someone to tag along with to show you the ropes. Lessons will help you a great deal also, so try really hard to get to a couple at least.

There is show training classes at Caboolture run by the Caboolture Kennel Club, give them a ring the number should be in the back of your Dog World magazine.

Show training classes are held at Durack on a Thursday night by the Terrier Club.

Thanks, everyone! This was discussed with my breeder (he was sold as a show prospect and she knows I'm a newbie) but unfortunately her main show contact in QLD is, I believe, on an overseas holiday this month so that essentially rules her out as a potential help before his first show. Just bad timing, unfortunately.

As for show training, my suburb is about an hour from Durack and an hour from Caboolture (it's smack bang in the middle!) so attending show training on a weekday evening after work in either place is a bit tough given the hours that I keep. In saying that, if all else fails I'll somehow find a way to attend at least one before his first show, but I just wanted to see if there were any other options around first. :happydance:

I dont have the same breed or even same group for that matter but I have pm'd you anyways. :laugh:

Thanks! Will reply shortly. :happydance: