Both Sides Happy With Contract

jpandkt08

Thankyou to everyone for their replies regarding my breeders terms contract for a Bernese Mt dog.

As some people have asked, thought i would update, yes we did purchase our pup his name is Dante and all is well.

Discussed the contract with her, its only a page and half of it didnt apply as we have a male not a bitch. She even penned in and signed extra clauses that we requested.

Much less hassle and stress in person than I was expecting to encounter. We get to use him as a stud if ever we decided to buy a female down the line...Years away people so please dont start hounding me about it. When she uses him as stud we get one of his pups half price, or a discount off a pup from a different litter.

So thanks again everyone. Cant believe how intense people can be on here tho, probably the last thread I'll ever start asking for other people's opinions! :confused:

Thankyou to everyone for their replies regarding my breeders terms contract for a Bernese Mt dog.

As some people have asked, thought i would update, yes we did purchase our pup his name is Dante and all is well.

Discussed the contract with her, its only a page and half of it didnt apply as we have a male not a bitch. She even penned in and signed extra clauses that we requested.

Much less hassle and stress in person than I was expecting to encounter. We get to use him as a stud if ever we decided to buy a female down the line...Years away people so please dont start hounding me about it. When she uses him as stud we get one of his pups half price, or a discount off a pup from a different litter.

So thanks again everyone. Cant believe how intense people can be on here tho, probably the last thread I'll ever start asking for other people's opinions! :confused:

LOL was an intense one to watch , having a copy of the contract and understanding all the detail does do a lot to rest the mind

Your baby is beautiful , I hope he grows into a stunning boy

Edited by Schmoo's boss

LOL was an intense one to watch , having a copy of the contract and understanding all the detail does do a lot to rest the mind

Your baby is beautiful , I hope he grows into a stunning boy

LOL yes I know. I dont take criticism at the best of times and it kinda felt like a bit of an attack on my intelligence from a few members. Anyway, I'm the one who has to live with him and everyone is entitled to their own opinions. and thankyou, I do think he's gorgeous too :confused:

Why do you need to purchase a female to use him as a stud?

She has retained the breeding rights, but if we decide to purchase a female of our own to breed we are free to use him as the stud even tho she has breeding rights. Hope that makes sense?

LOL yes I know. I dont take criticism at the best of times and it kinda felt like a bit of an attack on my intelligence from a few members. Anyway, I'm the one who has to live with him and everyone is entitled to their own opinions. and thankyou, I do think he's gorgeous too :laugh:

Try to think of it as people trying to give you the benefit of their experience. As a new dog owner, you wouldn't have been the first person to lose out under such a deal. A lot of these arrangements don't work out well for the pet owner in the longer term. Hopefully yours will be different. :o

To be quite frank, with the AI technology available these days, I really don't understand why more breeders don't harvest semen for storage from such dogs when they are mature and allow their owners to desex them. :thumbsup: Takes all the pain out of it for pet owner and means that the dog is theirs to do with as they choose.

He is beautiful - love the name too! Have fun with him while you can still pick him up - its been a long time since I've been able to pick up our 14 month old Berner!

Yeah, people on here can get intense, but I hope you continue to post and ask questions - everyone here feels very passionitally about dogs

JPandkt08, I don't think anyone has been intense or questioned your intelligence as you've mentioned. In fact the other thread was very informative and polite.

What I do see is many experienced dog people - some with a lifetime of knowledge to offer, advising you in response to the thread you began.

for every one successful breeder's terms, there are many more that end in tears, trashed friendships and legal action.

people here were merely giving you the benefit of their hard won knowledge.

fifi

JPandkt08, I don't think anyone has been intense or questioned your intelligence as you've mentioned. In fact the other thread was very informative and polite.

What I do see is many experienced dog people - some with a lifetime of knowledge to offer, advising you in response to the thread you began.

for every one successful breeder's terms, there are many more that end in tears, trashed friendships and legal action.

people here were merely giving you the benefit of their hard won knowledge.

fifi

Perhaps it was just my view on things. But thats ok, I do appreciate I did ask a question and it was answered. I believe many on DOL have a long history of knowledge that is very helpful. Thanks again

He is beautiful - love the name too! Have fun with him while you can still pick him up - its been a long time since I've been able to pick up our 14 month old Berner!

Yeah, people on here can get intense, but I hope you continue to post and ask questions - everyone here feels very passionitally about dogs

Yes he's already 6 kilos and I guess we should start training him to not expect he can be picked up all the time :laugh: We went for our first outside walk today, it took about 40minutes to walk around my block (usually only 5mins!) ... he doesnt like the leash too much :thumbsup: But slow and steady we made it home so that was a good start I guess!

congrates of your pup he is lovely.

please be very careful on walking a large breed at such a young age one he is not vaccinated fully and can pick up all sorts and too they dont need that much exercise.

train him to walk in the backyard then out in public.

please be very careful on walking a large breed at such a young age one he is not vaccinated fully and can pick up all sorts and too they dont need that much exercise.

Yes I know, I wasnt walking him for exercise so much as to begin to get him used to being outside. As the great Ceasar has stated in lots of his instructional videos, training begins before we even realise they can understand us. I did however check with the vet yesterday and he said that its fine to walk him, just not to other dogs or thru the park until his booster shots?

IMO, 8 weeks is way too young to be going around even the smallest of blocks, for a large breed.

Unforced exercise only at least for the first 2-3 weeks. Leash work at home or in "safe" areas, but not going for walks.

If you must walk the pup outside the yard in public, 2 house lengths in more than enough. :laugh:

Yes I know, I wasnt walking him for exercise so much as to begin to get him used to being outside. As the great Ceasar has stated in lots of his instructional videos, training begins before we even realise they can understand us. I did however check with the vet yesterday and he said that its fine to walk him, just not to other dogs or thru the park until his booster shots?

he is your pup and do as you wish :laugh:

I had a pup nearly die of parvo and never sat foot into a park until he got his last needles.

and plus 1 to the above poster

Training in the first few weeks at home does not have to mean walks on lead , some of the most useful training is done off lead and at home.

example

off furniture

sit

go to crate / bed / mat

house training

no mouthing

sit for dinner

outside

Look at me

wait at the door

In car

Out of car

Stand for grooming , sit and offer paws for nails , tolerate mouth being handled

With a large breed they must be able to be commanded to do these things as a grown animal you have no hope of regularly having to lift them ( your back will hate you )

By all means pup out and about but better going for a car ride and sitting somewhere that they can watch the view , free play only for a large breed with high incidence of hip and elbow issues until at least 12 months old until then limit the road walking to a short 10 mins training focus

Swimming is good exercise and does not stress joints

remember that pup is a baby , in a new place , with all new people

Have fun with your boy despite his size is a baby and will tire quickly

Training in the first few weeks at home does not have to mean walks on lead , some of the most useful training is done off lead and at home.

example

off furniture

sit

go to crate / bed / mat

house training

no mouthing

sit for dinner

outside

Look at me

wait at the door

In car

Out of car

Stand for grooming , sit and offer paws for nails , tolerate mouth being handled

With a large breed they must be able to be commanded to do these things as a grown animal you have no hope of regularly having to lift them ( your back will hate you )

By all means pup out and about but better going for a car ride and sitting somewhere that they can watch the view , free play only for a large breed with high incidence of hip and elbow issues until at least 12 months old until then limit the road walking to a short 10 mins training focus

Swimming is good exercise and does not stress joints

remember that pup is a baby , in a new place , with all new people

Have fun with your boy despite his size is a baby and will tire quickly

can i ask how you teach the offer paw? thats a great one

he is your pup and do as you wish :laugh:

I had a pup nearly die of parvo and never sat foot into a park until he got his last needles.

and plus 1 to the above poster

And here we go again...

This one can also be taught as shake

it is best to teach sit first

Have a food treat in your hand

let pup sniff but not take the treat

Slowly move the treat over his nose and towards his tale

His bottom should hit the ground at this point

Treat as soon as the bum hits the ground saying sit , praise and repeat until the word sit gets a sit ( about 5 mins top for a pup)

When he sits and holds the sit for a few seconds

Lift a front paw gently and say Paw / foot/ touch ( pick your own word)

While you are holding his paw treat

continue to lift the paw and treat him with food until you can hold your hand out and say paw and he will give it to you ( remember to reward)

teach both paws with a different word as they often differentiate between left and right on their own.

this one will take about 10 mins to teach

handle and examine his paw for a few seconds before letting it down praise and treat

Nail clipping can be upsetting for some dogs be careful to get a vet or breeder to show you where to cut as a mistake that hurts with a pup can make this a hard job

with all training keep to a max of 10 mins and if something is not working come back to it later