Youngster Mauled In Dog Attack

Kirty

give me a poodle and ill show you how easy it would be to turn it red zone without physically abusing it....

What does that tell me about you?

the fact that none of my dogs have ever been red zone cases actually says quite a lot about me (not to mention I use one of my "killing machines" to help rehabilitate aggro dogs!)...... ANY dog can be made red zone REGARDLESS of breed because of the owner, that is the point I was trying to make.... in fact ceaser has taken fluffies and chi's back to his rehab centre on plenty of episodes, like I said, if you watched it you would know...

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

give me a poodle and ill show you how easy it would be to turn it red zone without physically abusing it....

the fact that none of my dogs have ever been red zone cases actually says quite a lot about me (not to mention I use one of my "killing machines" to help rehabilitate aggro dogs!)...... ANY dog can be made red zone REGARDLESS of breed because of the owner, that is the point I was trying to make.... in fact ceaser has taken fluffies and chi's back to his rehab centre on plenty of episodes, like I said, if you watched it you would know...

i have to disagree with the opinion that ANY dog can be made into an aggressive dog. There are some dogs (of any/all breeds) that no matter what you do to them will not become aggressive. Some dogs just don't have it in them, no matter what. In saying that I also think that some dogs (again of any breed, no particular one) are predisposed to acting or reacting aggressively to any number of things. It is not always because of some a*#!hole owner that did this, that or the other wrong.

i have to disagree with the opinion that ANY dog can be made into an aggressive dog. There are some dogs (of any/all breeds) that no matter what you do to them will not become aggressive. Some dogs just don't have it in them, no matter what. In saying that I also think that some dogs (again of any breed, no particular one) are predisposed to acting or reacting aggressively to any number of things. It is not always because of some a*#!hole owner that did this, that or the other wrong.

lol, well you have your opinion, and I have mine, thing is I make my living from working with dogs, I see between 10-20 dogs per day (depending on how busy the day is) and they are all different breeds... so I see it first hand on a daily basis..... do you see such a wide variety of dogs/breeds and owners on a daily basis? like I said though, you have your opinion and I have mine....

Some are just more dangerous than others. Do you think the press deliberately excludes attacks out of the news by what is regarded as non dangerous breed? I don't think so.

I have yet to see in the news Toy Poodle kills young child.

Why do suppose that is?

I'm sick of people defending dangerous breeds.

Because Poodles are considered sissy dogs for sissy people and so not owned by the type who like to breed/raise thug dogs.

Secondly, because the most often owned Poodles would be miniatures or toys so if a child gets bitten, the wound is small and not enough to require hospital attention. Certainly not enough to create a "newsworthy" picture of a face full of stitches.

That's right, I agree.

Excellent! So, no more rants about breeds then, just rants about owners. :thumbsup:

Dangerous breeds have the ability to inflict fatal injuries.There's no denying it. Constant news reports make that apparent.

What do you mean by dangerous breeds?

Do you consider GSDs, lab, border collies etc dangerous because they are big to inflict fatal injuries?

I'm talking about dogs that were bred for guarding, protecting and fighting. The ones that are always in the NEWS.

You're extremely naive if you think the 'NEWS' is a completely trust worthy source of factual information, whether reporting on dog attacks or any other current event/issue. Like it or not, mainstream media is heavily influenced by Government and whatever person/organisation owns the network/printhouse running the story.

By the way I own a (gorgeous) Ridgeback so am not motivated by wanting to defend bull breeds. (Not that I have a problem with them what-so-ever. They are gorgeous dogs, given a bad name by incompetent owners/propaganda).

lol, well you have your opinion, and I have mine, thing is I make my living from working with dogs, I see between 10-20 dogs per day (depending on how busy the day is) and they are all different breeds... so I see it first hand on a daily basis..... do you see such a wide variety of dogs/breeds and owners on a daily basis? like I said though, you have your opinion and I have mine....

I (and my family) have owned many different breeds of dogs in our lifetime, amongst which have been many Bull Terriers (and crosses), Dobermanns, Rotty X's and I have looked after and housed many 'pig dog' crosses. I really like bull breeds. I'm not bagging them or saying they should be banned, in fact if you read my post all I said was that I disagreed with the idea that ANY dog can be made aggressive.

There are many dogs (including bull breeds) that would cope with things in ways that doesn't include any aggression at all. I believe that just like humans, some are just born that way. Definately not always, but certainly some of the time.

Well I am just confused and don't know how to put my confusion into words :D :cry:

I am a complete supporter of Deed not Breed, I had a rescue Bull Mastiff for 12 years that I loved with all my heart but taking nuture out of the equation and only looking at nature.

Surely though some BREEDS of dogs are more prone to agression, have lower bite thresholds, have higher prey drives, are better herders, are better guard dogs (etc, etc), this is their intrinsic nature and this can't be changed, sure it can be managed with good handling and training but never changed.

Quite a thread guys!

One example I can give you with certainty Poodiful1 is that at the RSPCA in the ACT, who regularly rehome pitbulls, (and lots of bull mix mutts) there has only ever been one attack on a staff member that resulted in hospitalisation of the victim.

The cuplrit? A Chihuahua. Tore the staff member's hand and arm up so badly and so determinedly that he was hospitalised.

You really are struggling to prove anything more that the fact that certain dogs are potentially more dangerous than others.

I worked for a decade in country law enforcement and dealt with a great many dog attacks, on humans and animals. The culprits were everything and anything, I can think of examples from every single ANKC group. Plus a whole lot of mutts. The most dangerous dogs I have personally met were an akita, a cattle dog and a great dane who went from lying under a bush to my throat in a heartbeat.

Were they bad dogs? From bad breeds? Nope. Or just creatures of their own environment and upbringing? Maybe that and more. We never know exactly what a dangerous dog has lived through to make it how it is. Sometimes we see a little of it and understand, other times we don't. Broad categorisation of dangerous dogs is just as difficult and pointless as doing it with dangerous people. It goes round and round in circles and doesn't achieve anything.

Perhaps broader community education is more productive? Anything has to be more productive than finding ways to blame groups rather than individuals. Dog attacks are individual things.

Media is profit driven. They have no regard for the truth unless it is their best interests. If it's not exciting they will ignore it or make it exciting... You cannot trust what you read and hear. :rolleyes:

Edited by Alyosha