Youngster Mauled In Dog Attack

Kirty

Make up your mind Poodifu1. First you say it's Bull breeds, and you weren't specific about the owners you just said anyone who owned them was a d!ckhead. Stop dissing certain breeds of dog, they can all attack and if you can't control one you shouldn't have one at all it's as simple as that. But in saying that, a lot of kids tease dogs thinking it's funny then cry 'foul' when they get bit. Parents need to be more vigilant with supervision with ALL breeds of dogs, not just dogs ORIGINALLY bred for fighting, guarding and protecting. I want my dog to be protective of myself and my son, I hope that if anyone breaks into my home that my dog will attack and protect us if need be as I would do the same for her if she was in danger.

My original post

Shock horror, what a surprise. NOT!!!

yet another bull something or rather being responsible for another attack.

It's the deed not the breed Blah Blah Blah, so sick of hearing it.

Sorry but the d!ckheads that own these sorts breeds have much to answer for.

Who cares what sort of bull it was, some breeds are just dangerous, start and end of story.

If you chose to breed a dangerous breed, you may be responsible for selling them to irresponsible d!ckheads.

bb

I never dissed any particular breed, the subtitle of this thread is after all

Youngster Mauled In Dog Attack, So which breed is it????

You are dissing Bull breeds. "Who cares what sort of bull it was, some breeds are just dangerous, start and end of story."

You are saying that all Bull breeds are dangerous and that whoever owns one is a d!ckhead.

I found your post incredibly offensive because I own a Bull breed and always have owned them, ever since I was a child. And you say you're sick of hearing 'it's the deed not the breed'. Well I'm sick of simple minded people such as yourself who can't look beneath the breed. They are all dogs. Even if it's a Pit Bull, that's just the outfit the dog has on it does NOT determine their temperament and whether they are vicious or not.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poodiful you need a serious wake up call...

Im almost certain it was a toy poodle and a Maltese X that caused the death of a new born in the Uk a few years ago when the pair smothered the sleeping child in his cot! That is pretty um FATAL.

Im not even going to dignify the rest with reply.

To no one in particular, but please read the two links from UK newspapers I put up on this very same page?

Gosh.. I mean.. how have I managed to own two 'bull' breeds for over ten years without incident if they're ALL so dangerous? Ooooh perhaps I'm NOT one of those delightfully phrased 'd!ckheads' some refer so eloquently to.

Yanno. For the record, I don't particularly like the moniker 'deed not breed'. To me it implies that an incident or deed has to take place before judging that incident / deed. What I DO like is the 'not breed' part.

Again, see two newspaper articles.

Omg, here we go again, if you bother to read the whole thread, you will know that I am referring to the idiots that should never own a dog, let alone a powerful one.

I have read the whole thread, hence my reply.

Your own sentence states "yet another bull something or rather being responsible for another attack.

Sorry but the d!ckheads that own these sorts breeds have much to answer for."

Again, hence my reply.

Interestingly though, no response regarding the two newspaper articles I also happen to have posted.

Shock, horror - NOT a bull something responsible. No interest there then?

Make up your mind Poodifu1. First you say it's Bull breeds, and you weren't specific about the owners you just said anyone who owned them was a d!ckhead. Stop dissing certain breeds of dog, they can all attack and if you can't control one you shouldn't have one at all it's as simple as that. But in saying that, a lot of kids tease dogs thinking it's funny then cry 'foul' when they get bit. Parents need to be more vigilant with supervision with ALL breeds of dogs, not just dogs ORIGINALLY bred for fighting, guarding and protecting. I want my dog to be protective of myself and my son, I hope that if anyone breaks into my home that my dog will attack and protect us if need be as I would do the same for her if she was in danger.

My original post

Shock horror, what a surprise. NOT!!!

yet another bull something or rather being responsible for another attack.

Sorry but the d!ckheads that own these sorts breeds have much to answer for.

Who cares what sort of bull it was, some breeds are just dangerous, start and end of story.

If you chose to breed a dangerous breed, you may be responsible for selling them to irresponsible d!ckheads.

bb

I never dissed any particular breed, the subtitle of this thread is after all

Youngster Mauled In Dog Attack, So which breed is it????

You are dissing Bull breeds. "Who cares what sort of bull it was, some breeds are just dangerous, start and end of story."

You are saying that all Bull breeds are dangerous and that whoever owns one is a d!ckhead.

I found your post incredibly offensive because I own a Bull breed and always have owned them, ever since I was a child. And you say you're sick of hearing 'it's the deed not the breed'. Well I'm sick of simple minded people such as yourself who can't look beneath the breed. They are all dogs. Even if it's a Pit Bull, that's just the outfit the dog has on it does NOT determine their temperament and whether they are vicious or not.

Show me where I say that all bull breeds are dangerous? You are twisting what I have said to have a go at me and if you are offended, I am sorry but you are misreading what I'm trying to say. If you go back and read another post, it say

"If all Italians drive Fiats, I drive a Fiat, does that make me an Italian"? What does that mean to you.

I am not personally attacking any one whereas YOU are by referring to me as a simple minded person, I should be the one who should be offended by your personal insults.

Edited by poodiful1

Im almost certain it was a toy poodle and a Maltese X that caused the death of a new born in the Uk a few years ago when the pair smothered the sleeping child in his cot! That is pretty um FATAL.

Here say means nothing to me I'm sorry,

To no one in particular, but please read the two links from UK newspapers I put up on this very same page?

Gosh.. I mean.. how have I managed to own two 'bull' breeds for over ten years without incident if they're ALL so dangerous? Ooooh perhaps I'm NOT one of those delightfully phrased 'd!ckheads' some refer so eloquently to.

Yanno. For the record, I don't particularly like the moniker 'deed not breed'. To me it implies that an incident or deed has to take place before judging that incident / deed. What I DO like is the 'not breed' part.

Omg, here we go again, if you bother to read the whole thread, you will know that I am referring to the idiots that should never own a dog, let alone a powerful one.

Your own sentence states "yet another bull something or rather being responsible for another attack.

Again, hence my reply.

Interestingly though, no response regarding the two newspaper articles I also happen to have posted.

I didn't write the report did I? I am simply stating my feelings here, if you don't like well tough.

I did show you where you said all Bull breeds are dangerous. Throughout this entire post you repeat it. I've noticed you also repeat "it's not the deed it's the breed" even though you believe the opposite of that which PROVES MY POINT that you are against Bull breeds and think they're all dangerous. But I've got a saying for you. "Never argue with an idiot as you will never win, it only brings you down to their level." And on that note, I'll say no more Poodiful1

I did show you where you said all Bull breeds are dangerous. Throughout this entire post you repeat it. I've noticed you also repeat "it's not the deed it's the breed" even though you believe the opposite of that which PROVES MY POINT that you are against Bull breeds and think they're all dangerous. But I've got a saying for you. "Never argue with an idiot as you will never win, it only brings you down to their level." And on that note, I'll say no more Poodiful1

Quote me please don't you be twisting my words

best you don't you are only making yourself look foolish

Edited by poodiful1

and highlight it in red :hug:

Look at all the bullies ganging up on me, with their rhetoric or should I say bullsh!it, I'm sick of the bullies defending the bullies, but that's what bully owners are generally like and you are all not going to convince me or the general public that certain breeds are not more dangerous than others.

There's just one quote where you have a dig at Bull breeds and their owners.

I think the media perpetuates what the media has been doing so for years, they create a misconception of certain breeds by not publishing every single dog attack (why would they?). If anything it creates more problems for owners of the breeds incessantly mentioned and leaves more dogs homeless.

I believe most of these dogs demoralised can be perfectly loving animals who, if they are trained correctly can be enjoyed by everyone.

Seeing as majority of these bites are to children, maybe schools need to get involved in awareness and what children should do around dogs. Maybe start there. If it’s already happening then great (I don’t have kids I don’t know). I think all the solutions provided are based around the dogs but what about children? I am merely stating maybe it needs to go both ways.

I am not saying any child deserves to be bitten. So please let me make that clear.

Anyway - an interesting read Media & BSL

I think the media perpetuates what the media has been doing so for years, they create a misconception of certain breeds by not publishing every single dog attack (why would they?). If anything it creates more problems for owners of the breeds incessantly mentioned and leaves more dogs homeless.

I believe most of these dogs demoralised can be perfectly loving animals who, if they are trained correctly can be enjoyed by everyone.

Seeing as majority of these bites are to children, maybe schools need to get involved in awareness and what children should do around dogs. Maybe start there. If it’s already happening then great (I don’t have kids I don’t know). I think all the solutions provided are based around the dogs but what about children? I am merely stating maybe it needs to go both ways.

I am not saying any child deserves to be bitten. So please let me make that clear.

That's true. But teaching children how to act or react around dogs should start at home. I've taught my son that he can take our puppy's food away and put his hand into her food bowl while she's eating. By doing this while she's a puppy, by the time she's an adult, she won't snap at him if he approaches her eating. Luckily, I have a very timid son, he doesn't like most dogs.

That's true. But teaching children how to act or react around dogs should start at home. I've taught my son that he can take our puppy's food away and put his hand into her food bowl while she's eating. By doing this while she's a puppy, by the time she's an adult, she won't snap at him if he approaches her eating. Luckily, I have a very timid son, he doesn't like most dogs.

Yes I agree Staffygirl teaching should always start at home especially for those who have dogs already, but all kids also without a dog need to know for when visiting someone with dogs or at the park etc..

I just think it always is put on the dog training and owners but I think kids need some education.

Here say means nothing to me I'm sorry,

And yet, by your posts, you expect people to agree with you when you are offering only hearsay?

How about proof?

Incidentally, poodle x maltese was responsible for a fatal attack in the UK as I recall, and poodles have been implicated in fatal attacks in the USA - as have most other breeds.

malsrock

I don't buy the excuse that the dogs featured in maullings were lovely dogs that just snapped and I have know a couple over the years who were genetically aggressive mongrels by nature with a history of aggression and fighting drive and the owners know that. Dog's like that IMHO shouldn't not be so readily available to the general public who don't have the ability or inclination to train, handle and look after them properly.

Malsrock - if you check the reasons for attacks, there are NO "dogs like that" - although what you are saying is totally correct. Attacks are perpetrated by dogs owned by people who are uncaring, or unaware. Hence "deed, not breed". Chained dogs are over represented in attack stats. Some attacks are caused by the lunacy of people, or in other attacks, by sheer unawareness.

Dogs never "turn" - there is a reason for every attack. Some reasons are more obscure than others, but in every case, the owner was not aware of the trigger, or that it had been pulled. Often dogs which are cited as "family" dogs are in fact, resident dogs.

Until we rid ourselves of the notion that pitbulls and/or bull breeds exclusively kill people, we will never acknowdge that all breeds of DOGS kill people. No breed, just dogs.

Edited by Jed

Also I would like to ad that from what you say about bite stats Jed, Cattle Dogs, Labradors, German Shepherds,are common and popular. So therefore it would be expected that these breeds with them being more prevelant, the bite rate would be higher.

And short haired mid to large sized cross bred dogs are also common and popular - these are the very dogs labelled as "pit bulls" the second one should happen to bite. So it's to be expected that Labs, GSDs and ACDs are commonly represented in bite stats because they're common. It's NOT ''OK'' that other popular types which just so happen to be not to your personal liking to be similarly represented in bite stats.

Personally I think the best solution is for EVERYONE who owns a dog to have to be able to prove they are capable of giving their dog the right sort of care. Some people are capable of controlling the biggest and most aggressive dog, others shouldn't be in charge of a dead Basset.

I am a responsible owner of Staffordshire Bull Terriers. Why the hell should it cost ME more to own my chosen dogs than it costs my brain dead neighbour across the back who owns two Border Collies that do nothing but chase everything that passes their fence, fight with each other, bark all day and on the one occasion I have seen them out, were uncontrollable and menacing a small child on a bike (yes I did step in).

Again, hence my reply.

I didn't write the report did I? I am simply stating my feelings here, if you don't like well tough.

What a delightful way of debating you have! Tough???????

I'm not talking about the report, I'm talking about how YOU have responded. Magnificent way of twisting things.

And still no comment on the other news reports...

Also I would like to ad that from what you say about bite stats Jed, Cattle Dogs, Labradors, German Shepherds,are common and popular. So therefore it would be expected that these breeds with them being more prevelant, the bite rate would be higher.

And short haired mid to large sized cross bred dogs are also common and popular - these are the very dogs labelled as "pit bulls" the second one should happen to bite. So it's to be expected that Labs, GSDs and ACDs are commonly represented in bite stats because they're common. It's NOT ''OK'' that other popular types which just so happen to be not to your personal liking to be similarly represented in bite stats.

Personally I think the best solution is for EVERYONE who owns a dog to have to be able to prove they are capable of giving their dog the right sort of care. Some people are capable of controlling the biggest and most aggressive dog, others shouldn't be in charge of a dead Basset.

I am a responsible owner of Staffordshire Bull Terriers. Why the hell should it cost ME more to own my chosen dogs than it costs my brain dead neighbour across the back who owns two Border Collies that do nothing but chase everything that passes their fence, fight with each other, bark all day and on the one occasion I have seen them out, were uncontrollable and menacing a small child on a bike (yes I did step in).

Hear hear. Amazing isn't it that some of us CAN be responsible owners (tic).

Quote me please don't you be twisting my words

best you don't you are only making yourself look foolish

lol, the only one who is looking foolish right now seems to be you, I dont know why you are still posting in this thread considering in your opinion you keep getting "personally attacked" its just going round and round in circles, you are only one person with this biased opinion compared to oh say the 15-20 experienced dog people who are cutting your comments to pieces and disproving them with facts (I recall you saying that poodles have never been responsible for fatal deaths? WRONG! and oh my goodness, not all of the people "against" you are bull breed owners!) even when people try to be nice about the fact that all puppies are born innocent, you seem to turn nasty, we will never change your opinion and you will never chance ours so in my opinion we might as well stop trying..... next im expecting to hear out of your mouth (or fingers :eek: ) is we should murder all bull breeds (including innocent puppies, after all according to you they will grow up to be child killers).... where is troy?? this thread needs to end NOW....

The attacks serious enough to make headlines have been mostly Bull cross breeds over past couple of years. The next one the media publishes will be a Bull breed, wait and see :(

Fiona :)

I don't know if I'd want to believe that what was reported in the papers always reflected reality.

Case in point, this was just posted on DOL:

"According to numbers that I obtained through an FOI request a couple of years ago, in the time period of July 1, 2004 - August 15, 2007, 'pit bulls' accounted for 17.7% of all of the dog bites recorded by San Francisco animal control. So while bites by 'pit bulls' accounted for 17.7% of all bites, they accounted for 65% of all dog bite stories - -and 100% of the stories where the breed type was mentioned in the headlines."

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=205117

I read a similar article a few years back, although I've sadly lost it now, but it reported how pitbull attacks were often over reported, whereas attacks by non-pitbull dogs were ignored or only reported in the local papers.

I would be interested in seeing what proportion of council registered, responsibly owned, bull breed dogs were involved in attacks, compared with the proportion of other breeds. But to my knowledge, that research has never been done. I had a bash getting info from my local animal control 5 or 6 years ago to do a study like that, but the info just wasn't recorded appropriately for it to be analysed.

The Pitbull reporting is rediculous I think and I doubt if many are genuine Pit's, but are definitely Bull breed crosses of some description by the look of them. Some would disagree, but I wouldn't imagine that the media would ignore substantial attacks causing injury from breeds other than supposed Pitbull's :thumbsup:

Fiona ;)