Youngster Mauled In Dog Attack

Kirty

How many of the so called Bull some things that are featuring in all these attacks actually look like what they are Id'd as??

I shake my head at most of them, you would have to have a pretty damn vivid imagination to see anything other than plain simple mutt in most of them.

Anyone with time to spare should troll through pound and shelter websites, it is an eye opener.

If it is large it is bull something cross.

If it is black and tan it is rottie or GSD x

If it brindle it is staffy, anything white and fluffy is maltese.

The problem is half the people that own these dogs really have no idea, they believe what they were told when they obtained the dog and know no better, and many ACOs etc have no clue either. The Id's on many are so far off base it is a joke.

The dogs surrendered to our pound or seized after incidents, which can range from chasing chooks to biting someone, are all shapes and sizes, short haired, long haired, all involved in ATTACKS, because that is what any of these incidents are called.

Do they all make the press? NO.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From someone who had a maremma - yep, slow to bite but could, and would bite very very hard. Friend's maremma killed foxes with one bite.

Bite force of various animals has been measured (by Brady Barr for a National Geographic program, and others) . Bite force depends on the size/weight of the animal

Hyena 1000 lbs

Lion 691 lbs

Shark 661

Rottweiler 328

Pitbull 235

Adult Human 170

Labrador 125

Haha so I could bite my dog harder than she could bite me??? :birthday:

She has pointier teeth though....

you know what, if you dont want to be "personally attacked" as you so put it, why the hell put your post up knowing there are so many bull breed fans and anti-bsl people on this site? boggles the mind!!... I feel you have personally attacked me as I have 4 bull breed dogs (you yourself said bull breed owners are dickheads, that must mean you think I am a dickhead) and my dogs have never, EVER bitten anyone, I have a 3yr old who cut the tips of one of my bull breed dogs ears off, did she bite? no, whimpered and ran away (I accept full responsibility for this occuring, my son should NOT have been allowed access to the dogs without my supervision).... I note you did not address any of my responses to your ill informed posts... figures! crawl back under your rock love, no one is interested in hearing your inexperienced opinions (again where is your proof of your vast experience with a variety of breeds?).... im not wasting any more of my time with you poodiful, ive got better things to do.....

you know what, if you dont want to be "personally attacked" as you so put it, why the hell put your post up knowing there are so many bull breed fans and anti-bsl people on this site? boggles the mind!!... I feel you have personally attacked me as I have 4 bull breed dogs (you yourself said bull breed owners are dickheads, that must mean you think I am a dickhead) and my dogs have never, EVER bitten anyone, I have a 3yr old who cut the tips of one of my bull breed dogs ears off, did she bite? no, whimpered and ran away (I accept full responsibility for this occuring, my son should NOT have been allowed access to the dogs without my supervision).... I note you did not address any of my responses to your ill informed posts... figures! crawl back under your rock love, no one is interested in hearing your inexperienced opinions (again where is your proof of your vast experience with a variety of breeds?).... im not wasting any more of my time with you poodiful, ive got better things to do.....

If all Italians drive Fiats, I drive a Fiat, does that make me Italian?

you said it!! just because a dog is a bull breed doesnt make it a killing machine on a leash!! this thread has been reported to troy..... I dont come on this site to be called a dickhead because of my chosen breed, im not a fan of poodles but I sure as hell dont put them down on a public forum!!

I have owned Bull terriers in the past and I currently have a Amstaff X Ridgeback but I am not in any way offended by Poodiful's comments. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and anyway I think that when Poodiful made reference to bull breed owners being dickheads they weren't talking about every single person that owns a bull breed but the irresponsible ones that want them for the wrong reasons and the byb that are supplying them to these idiots.

Many years ago I was enquiring about a Bull Terrier from what everyone here would call a ethical, registered breeder and was horrified to hear her say (after me reassuring them that I was responsible and didn't want the dog for the wrong reasons) that if I was paying them $X amount then I could do whatever I wanted with the dog and she didn't care!

It's these people that are the d*!#heads for selling their dogs to anyone that has the cash to pay for them (it's not just the pet shops and byb that do it).

efs

Edited by dobesrock

I have owned Bull terriers in the past and I currently have a Amstaff X Ridgeback but I am not in any way offended by Poodiful's comments. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and anyway I think that when Poodiful made reference to bull breed owners being dickheads they weren't talking about every single person that owns a bull breed but the irresponsible ones that want them for the wrong reasons and the byb that are supplying them to these idiots.

Many years ago I was enquiring about a Bull Terrier from what everyone here would call a ethical, registered breeder and was horrified to hear her say (after me reassuring them that I was responsible and didn't want the dog for the wrong reasons) that if I was paying them $X amount then I could do whatever I wanted with the dog and she didn't care!

It's these people that are the d*!#heads for selling their dogs to anyone that has the cash to pay for them (it's not just the pet shops and byb that do it).

efs

Back in the '80s I lived with my boyfriend Scott that had a white bull terrier (Max). Max was kept in a small courtyard and Scott only let him in once a day, in the evening. He was so excited when he came in he used to jump up and snap and Scott would punch him in the head to try to make him stop. I would tell him not to do it but to no avail. Max was manic for quite some time, and it took a long time till he settled.

Scott went to see his folks in Qld for a week, so what did I do, I let Max stay inside the for the whole time Scott was away and guess what, the dog wasn't manic at all. I liked Max a lot and I thought that Scott was cruel to leave the dog in the courtyard by it's self 22 hours a day. When Scott returned, Max was put back in the yard and his manic behavior returned. It turned out that Max was actually deaf, hence why he didn't listen. I ended up leaving Scott due to his violent tendencies.

Does this sound like someone that hates bulls? NO. It's the thugs that own them and don't know how to treat them that get up my nose. And the breeders that sell the thugs the dogs that need to be accountable. And yes, I'm sick of hearing, it the deed not the breed whenever there's a dog attack.

efs

Back in the '80s I lived with my boyfriend Scott that had a white bull terrier (Max). Max was kept in a small courtyard and Scott only let him in once a day, in the evening. He was so excited when he came in he used to jump up and snap and Scott would punch him in the head to try to make him stop. I would tell him not to do it but to no avail. Max was manic for quite some time, and it took a long time till he settled.

Scott went to see his folks in Qld for a week, so what did I do, I let Max stay inside the for the whole time Scott was away and guess what, the dog wasn't manic at all. I liked Max a lot and I thought that Scott was cruel to leave the dog in the courtyard by it's self 22 hours a day. When Scott returned, Max was put back in the yard and his manic behavior returned. It turned out that Max was actually deaf, hence why he didn't listen. I ended up leaving Scott due to his violent tendencies.

Does this sound like someone that hates bulls? NO. It's the thugs that own them and don't know how to treat them that get up my nose. And the breeders that sell the thugs the dogs that need to be accountable. And yes, I'm sick of hearing, it the deed not the breed whenever there's a dog attack.

Agree with you there.

I am glad to see that you can see that in the right hands, Bull breeds can make great pets :D

I think we can all agree that certain irresponsible people who should not even own a pet rock, are attracted to a "tough" looking dog. These people are less likely to be responsible owners, therefore their dogs are more likely to behave aggresisvely and attack someone.

efs

So what's your solution? What would you do to fix the issue if focusing on deeds isn't the way?

efs

So what's your solution? What would you do to fix the issue if focusing on deeds isn't the way?

The "deed" should be punished which I totally agree, but for a "deed" to be punished means there has been an attack and someone or some thing has suffered. Deed punishment takes a while to sink in if ever in the community...........people are still drink driving after all these years of RBT's and drink driving campaigns and many have been caught multiple times, so although the deed system has theoretical merit, how many people and things suffer in the mean time from the "deeds" with a system likely never to work efficiently.

There is a substantial difference between a bite and a maulling where a dog snaps and where dog makes a meal out of it and as much as some hate to acknowledge the situation, the maullings are consistantly at a high ratio of Bull type breedings. They are not Golden Retrievers or Labrador based breeds that regularly feature nor are they GSD's or Rottweilers, most are Bull something cross breeds for the most part and where do they come from???..........BYB's and puppy farms essentially. BYB's and puppy farmers don't screen for genetic predisposition for aggression or any other traits and their breeding knowledge amounts to merely a male and female dog means puppies :D

I don't buy the excuse that the dogs featured in maullings were lovely dogs that just snapped and I have know a couple over the years who were genetically aggressive mongrels by nature with a history of aggression and fighting drive and the owners know that. Dog's like that IMHO shouldn't not be so readily available to the general public who don't have the ability or inclination to train, handle and look after them properly.

Fiona ;)

The "deed" should be punished which I totally agree, but for a "deed" to be punished means there has been an attack and someone or some thing has suffered. Deed punishment takes a while to sink in if ever in the community...........people are still drink driving after all these years of RBT's and drink driving campaigns and many have been caught multiple times, so although the deed system has theoretical merit, how many people and things suffer in the mean time from the "deeds" with a system likely never to work efficiently.

Theres another person in another thread at the moment with this similar attitude. You have to accept that there has to be attacks, followed by punitive action, over and over again before people start getting it and attacks reduce. It doesn't matter if you don't like it or do not think it is ideal, its just how it works. Like I said in the other thread, punitive is preventative, but it takes time.

You can only realistically aim for a reduction in dog attacks. Dogs attacks will never be eliminated while there are dogs we have to accept that.

The sooner they start focusing on the right end of the lead, the sooner dog attacks will decrease.

Or, we can just keep banning and blaming breeds, because thats working .......

How many years has it been now ? How many more until they they admit they are wrong and move on ? In the interim people will continue getting bit at the same rate. People should be angry at the government not bull breed owners.

malsrock

and as much as some hate to acknowledge the situation, the maullings are consistantly at a high ratio of Bull type breedings. They are not Golden Retrievers or Labrador based breeds that regularly feature nor are they GSD's or Rottweilers, most are Bull something cross breeds for the most part and where do they come from???..........

Sorry, malsrock, I am afraid you are incorrect. The bite statistics in this country, both before and after BSL featured the same breeds - Cattle Dogs, Labradors, German Shepherds, etc --- "pit bull terriers" were far down the list.

Unfortunately, like most of "the public", you believe what is presented to you by the media, which is that "bull breed" dogs perpetrate the most attacks.

Certainly, the dogs which head the list are the most popular, but pitbulls are under represented by numbers.

And when you consider that 10,000 "pitbulls" have been euthanased in Qld, and there has been no change to the bite stats, or the breeds which head the lists, you have to wonder exactly what good have the bans done?

Except make a lot of people believe the pitbull is some kind of implacable land shark.

hi i have been reading this and dont want to get into a debate or really offend anyone but i agree with 99 % of the posters its not the breed of dog and saying this we are owned by staffordshire bull terriers,i also have a 6 yr daughter and i would trust each and everyone one of our dog with her life.

we also have a lot of pig hunters where i come from and while a lot of the dogs they own are not looked after the best and are a typical pig dog x 99 % of them are child proof as well.

most of the dogs i have met that are the quickest to actually bite are swf either purebred or x and yes my uncle has a chiX maltese who i will not let my daughter near.

they may be small but a bite is still a bit i believe

everyone is entitled to their own personal beliefs and breeds of dogs they love however i know what sort of dog i would prefer my daughter to be around

there is nothing worse them taking my dogs out and having people look at them like they are going to rip their throats out.

hopefully in this town with our well behaved dogs we have shown that not all a ferioucious maneaters.

im a big believer in its the way a dog is brought up not what breed it is

just my opionion i realise not everyone feels the same

That's a very broad answer - what type of regulation?

Yes sorry, I haven't had the time to respond properly.

1. No crossbreeding should ever be allowed at all, and sales should be outlawed

2. One must obtain a permit/license to own certain breeds, before purchase is permitted, renewed annually

3. Owners must undertake a training course to own certain breeds

4. Owners must take dogs to obedience training at least once a month.

5. Owners must be members of breed clubs and must participate in all club activities.

6. Residences to be inspected by an animal control officer pre purchase.

I don't know, that's all I can think of atm

Basically, it should be difficult and expensive to own certain breeds. Please don't ask me which breeds I'm talking about because I don't really know the true statistics of offending dogs.

Also I would like to ad that from what you say about bite stats Jed, Cattle Dogs, Labradors, German Shepherds,are common and popular. So therefore it would be expected that these breeds with them being more prevelant, the bite rate would be higher.

Personally

This is in response to Jed's posting, which was very informative.

Hi, but from the examples of the horrible attacks you have given, I counted 14 pit bulls or pit bull crosses. From the article it also shows that people below the poverty level (which in turn means they have received a poor education) should not be owning powerful breeds like these listed. These people are below the poverty line for a reason - and I know that sounds harsh, but it is a reality (in most cases). Poorly educated, poorly resourced people owning breeds they have no idea about, how to socialise, how to train, how to care for etc etc. The majority of these people can't look after themselves, let alone their dogs. It's not the dogs fault in many of these cases. Dogs chained up in yards, never exercised, poorly bred, poorly maintained, is a recipe for disaster for any breed, but I believe that some breeds will react in different ways than other breeds. The owners of these dogs, regardless of their impoverished state, should be punished severely, maybe then others may think twice about owning a dog or dogs of certain breeds.

Edited by Adnil444