Feedback Wanted

Lab lady

I am doing a photography course and we have to do an 'Theme' assignment, i haven't be able to get much time during the day to get the camera out so i thought i would do 'painting with light' as my theme so i could work on it at night.

I took the camera and a torch out side tonight and got a few shots.

Am i on the right track?

What could i do to improve them?

Please don't be afraid to criticise, i need to learn.

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

I think you are on the right track. Ash gave us the painting with light challenge last year. go have a look here, lots of pages to scroll through, it was a popular challenge.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=170704

and there's a flickr group too that might give you some ideas and understanding

http://www.flickr.com/groups/stilllifeinlightpainting/pool/

Thanks for the comments, it's so additive :birthday: i could have spent many more hours taking shots but the wind started to pick up so i had to abandon it.

I actually got the idea from the challenge, most people in the class are doing an object but i got bored and thought this might be a bit more challenging. I have a few ideas for shooting inside. Just wish i didn't have to go to work then i could spend more time on it.

There is a real challenge in painting with light if you want to try a live subject. I loved light painting the dogs but you need to try it when the dog is asleep. I love painting with light. What sort of light source did you use for your shots?

I plan to get the dogs to the beach on the weekend to wear them out and then i might be able to practice with them. I tried the cat but she woke up with the first shot and promptly turned her back on me.

It was a cheap $10 torch, i am going to see if i can get one with more of a white light as this one seems a bit yellow.

Number 4 gets my vote. Do you work with natural light at dawn or dusk? My hubby's camera/photography boys love these times to shoot (he works in events). Sometimes they use reflectors to redirect light accordingly. I have helped hubby design stage/mood lighting for events and I must admit I really don't always like the look of things which are lit directly from the front. Then there's this whole world of lighting gels (colour filters) you can play with too. Here's some vids for you:

and some reading specifically on night photography:

http://malektips.com/spectacular-night-pho...tal-camera.html

Edited by Rottigirl