What Do Puppy Prices Make You Think Of Breeders?

my_sibe_owns_me

What do you think of breeders and their puppy prices  

143 members have voted

1. 1. What does a price of a puppy make you think of a breeder?

• Cheap puppies are not of quality and come from BYB's trying to get rid of them
    • Expensive puppies come from quality dogs and good breeders
    • Expensive puppies are normally lacking quality and are just flashy. Bred by byb-ers.
    • I look at the quality of the dogs, the breeder and dont care about the price
    • I look at the dogs and the breed and judge if the price is right

I'm interested in what people think about puppy prices. I have a litter on the way and I think I am selling them pretty cheap considering they are getting desexed before they leave along with the proper vaccines for their age/s.. reg. with the AKC and coming from two nice dogs. I dont care about the money. I just want the best homes and I know the 'best homes' have nothing to do with how much someone can pay. But I wonder if I am scaring off educated buyers due to the lower price.

Being in the dog world I know I would never pay over $800 for a pet puppy (USA) and I see lots of BYBer trying to sell pets for 15-2000 :thumbsup: And I know pet stores sell them for just as much and people buy them every day.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested in what people think about puppy prices. I have a litter on the way and I think I am selling them pretty cheap considering they are getting desexed before they leave along with the proper vaccines for their age/s.. reg. with the AKC and coming from two nice dogs. I dont care about the money. I just want the best homes and I know the 'best homes' have nothing to do with how much someone can pay. But I wonder if I am scaring off educated buyers due to the lower price.

Being in the dog world I know I would never pay over $800 for a pet puppy (USA) and I see lots of BYBer trying to sell pets for 15-2000 :thumbsup: And I know pet stores sell them for just as much and people buy them every day.

Why do you want to undercut everybody else, it only cheapens the breed and you'll be inundated with phone calls. There are also puppy brokers out there that will snap them up and sell them on for a profit. These people will schmooze you and tell you what you want to hear.

Personally I would stay in par with what the breeder/s you got your dogs from,(please ring and ask them) or maybe just a little less, but not half the price. If you charge too little, you'll only p!ss off the breeder/s you got your dogs from.

Is adding the desexing fee to the puppy price fair? I know some breeders will give rebates if you show all the proper paperwork so I guess that would bring them down to the same price as those puppies if people follow through.
how much does it cost for desexing in the states?

Is adding the desexing fee to the puppy price fair? I know some breeders will give rebates if you show all the proper paperwork so I guess that would bring them down to the same price as those puppies if people follow through.
how much does it cost for desexing in the states?

When I talked to my vet they where saying around $200-250 per pup. Most pets go for $800 here so it would have been $1000/1050 if I added on the desexing cost. BUT I think I just found a place that will do them for $80 and do a lot of pediatric spay/neuter so I could just up it to $900 and then they would be "even" with the rest. Just need to do my research on the vets to make sure its not 'slaughter house'.

ETA- Most rebates are $200 upon showing the dog is desexed.

Edited by my_sibe_owns_me

To answer the opening post, it depends on the breed. One breed that is incredibly expensive springs to mind. The excuses given are...it's a rare breed, however there are always at least 6-8 advertisments on DOL for puppies so it's not that rare; the litters are small.....actually there are litters of 5 or more pups regularly advertised, enough that one would think it's not an unusual occurence; and my personal favourite...the medical expenses involved with whelping. To be honest, if you are selling 2 or more pups for $3000-3500 each and are not making money due to high veterinary expenses then you seriously, SERIOUSLY need to look at the quality and health of the dogs you're breeding from.

So, it depends on the breed/breeders.....some breeders are out to make money, others put their heart and soul into breeding quality litters, finding fabulous homes for them and are more concerned about the future of the breed and the puppies than the money.

I think its a bit hard to compare the USA market/breeders with Australian ones..there are surely different varibles to take into account, ie your $US800 is equal to $AU?

I agree with above though, keep it withing what others are being sold for. :thumbsup: Good Luck with the litter!!

the medical expenses involved with whelping. To be honest, if you are selling 2 or more pups for $3000-3500 each and are not making money due to high veterinary expenses then you seriously, SERIOUSLY need to look at the quality and health of the dogs you're breeding from.

$3000-3500 for a PET? :thumbsup: Thats CRAZY! I cant believe people are ignorant enough to pay that!

the medical expenses involved with whelping. To be honest, if you are selling 2 or more pups for $3000-3500 each and are not making money due to high veterinary expenses then you seriously, SERIOUSLY need to look at the quality and health of the dogs you're breeding from.

$3000-3500 for a PET? :thumbsup: Thats CRAZY! I cant believe people are ignorant enough to pay that!

Hi MSOM, IMO it is not ignorance that compels people to spend big dollars on a "pet". If is a choice that they are financially able to make, then that is fine. If it is a breed they want and they are happy with the breeder/lines, then I think good on them.

IMO, in your situation I would charge the average going rate for your breed of puppies, taking into account a reasonabe comparison to quality of lines and what you are providing your puppy people in reference to guarantees, ongoing support, and extras etc.

It is difficult for us Aussies to make suggestions of actual dollars with dollar conversion rates and different market, but I certainly would not be selling them at what you to believe to be "cheap".

I would also include a bit extra for the desexing or alter to a rebate plan.

My boy is from exceptional lines - although he is pet quality and I got him 'late' - 12 weeks so he was cheap. (half the price of the bitch I have just purchased). I didn't even ask how much he was going to be until we had agreed he would come to live with us so it was a nice surprise to find he was only $50 more than the pet shop puppy we had bought 6 months earlier.

My girl (different breeder) was like I said, double the price, but more along the lines of what I would expect to pay for a performance prospect.

I had chosen both dogs before I spoke to either breeder about the price. To me that is really secondary.

We now have 3 happy, healthy dogs and that is all that matters.

I honestly couldn't give a toss what BYBers and petshops charge for their pups. I'm happy to pay what's considered a reasonable price for that particular breed or more for a dog from an import.

I find it bewildering that people will happily fork out more for a plasma TV or family holiday than for a dog that will spend a longer period of time in their home.

Pet puppies cost the same to raise as show prospects. Why should they be cheaper?? I think breeders deserve to recoup expenses and/or make a profit regardless of the intended use of the pup. :thumbsup:

And I'd NEVER buy a pup of any breed desexed as a baby.

Edited by poodlefan

Oh I am bad :D Due to high demand by puppy farms & cross breeders I desex mine before they leave too.

Too late if don't & I find out later they are in a hell hole or someone is breeding & giving a copy of the pedigree or crossing.

I also charge less than many interstate breeders. Reasons as follows

This state has so many poodle in the paper & pet shops & some long time registered breeders do sell very cheap also.

I know of one that charged $600 for a pet & $1,500 for a breeding dog from the same litter at the time I had a litter. :thumbsup:

Many say they do not want desexed. When I ask why not one has ever expressed concern about early desexing.

The reply is always I may want to breed, with my friends dog etc. Like that's ok.

I do believe that people deserve a quality, health tested pedigree pet & know that it is not beyond the bounds of affordability & that you don't have to go to the pet shop, shonky breeder etc. That does promote our breed & make people aware.

I also prefer to find a home in my own state whenever possible although I have sent interstate, easier to check.

One has to be guided by what others charge to a certain degree & it is better to find the best home for those that you cannot run on or keep than hang on in there for the $.

My next breed is likely to cost this amount and whilst I dont agree with the reasons why they are so expensive there isn't much I can do if that's the going price.

I am not ignorant and I need to pay what the breeders/market has determined

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy