My Dog Was Attacked

kiesha09

Nope completely not fair but we just have to deal with the hand we've been dealt.

It's just something that we'll have to continually work on and hopefully with lots of good dog interactions she can start building her confidence back up. I certainly won't be going back to that park in a hurry though.

That's what's annoying

I took Tahli to the oval on Friday for a walk and I saw this lady let off her German Shepherd to walk freely (it's not even fenced off)

It just stuns me I don't know what this dog is like could be a really good dog who knows, but it clearly says at the entrance all dogs must be on lead. Why do people think they are above it all and just let them off? not saying the GS was bad but people keep taking the risks and look who suffers?

Hope she recovers soon Kiesha good luck with everything ;)

I was looking on here today because our dog was attacked yesterday. My 14 year old daughter was walking him on his lead back down our street. She was only half a dozen houses away when a dog came out from his yard and launched himself straight at Wilson. My daughter kept hold of the lead and started screaming. A couple of neighbours came out and got him off our dog. My daughter started walking again to get home and the other dog got away and chased them both home. They both jumped our front fence to get away.

I called the council immediately and took photo's of the marks on Wilson. The ranger from council is coming to interview my daughter tomorrow.

What can be done about a dog like this? Lucky it was my 14 year old and not my 9 year old. She would have freaked!!

Unfortunately now, no one is willing to walk the dog for fear on a repeat! :laugh:

Edited by mumsy

What can be done about a dog like this? Lucky it was my 14 year old and not my 9 year old. She would have freaked!!

Unfortunately now, no one is willing to walk the dog for fear on a repeat! :laugh:

If the owners are responsible they may learn from the incident and keep the dog more safely contained. If they aren't responsive, it's a much harder matter to resolve and probably ends badly for the attacking dog, and maybe others.

Either way I don't think I'd be letting the 9 year old walk the dog on her own.

Edited by Diva

Hmmm the owner of the Weim that attacked Kenz and left puncture wounds a few months ago still let it off to run at the oval. I am forever stressing that we might encounter it again particularly since its very local. I had no problems with it in the past but now live in constant fear of another incident.

Not helped by the fact we were in the middle of a training session on the far side of the oval so now live in constant worry about dogs rushing while we are busy training.

And this same dog has issues with being scared of the world so the dog incidents aren't helping her cause. In fact we have spent 2 days away at our country place and I took both girls for a walk to the post box tonight and all Kenz wanted was for the ground to open up and swallow her whole. Very sad as she hasn't been that bad in 4 months :laugh:. Sorry to hijack your thread kiesha - if you think catching up with Ness (not Kenz) would be of any benefit to your girl I am sure we can arrange something.

Edited by ness

Hmmm the owner of the Weim that attacked Kenz and left puncture wounds a few months ago still let it off to run at the oval.

Sadly I think there are as many owners who fall into the irrepsonsible camp as the responsible ones. Hopefully mumsy's neighbours are the better kind.

Edited by Diva

What I can't understand is the number of incidents I have had that have occured at club training or trial venues - surely these people might be a little more responsible then your average person who takes their dog out for a walk. Particularly which have occured by dogs who are competing. Sure all it might be is a dog chasing after yours and while their intentions might be honorable how is my youngster or I suppose to know that.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother being a responsible owner. I had a women abuse me because her little while fluffy was spinning and launching at the end of an extenda lead while mine were off-lead playing in the creek because my older one took 2 steps towards it before I called her back and told her to leave it. I will also point out that I was between the dog and the women and the women was a good distance away and we were in a park where dogs must be under effective control and all the while the women is bringing her dog closer to mine yelling at me that her dog was attacked recently. Sure I appreciate that fact but mine weren't doing anything wrong and hers was dancing around at the end of a 3 m lead acting aggressively.

Hmmm the owner of the Weim that attacked Kenz and left puncture wounds a few months ago still let it off to run at the oval. I am forever stressing that we might encounter it again particularly since its very local. I had no problems with it in the past but now live in constant fear of another incident.

That isn't good - have you considered reporting it to the council for being offleah & uncontrolled in a public place?

I too have had several nasty incidents at dog training schools, including one very nasty incident with an instructor's dogs (and you'd really think that they'd know better!) I think the problem is that even at obedience school, some people don't understand that their "friendly" dog is actually quite rude, or they forget that shy or aggressive dogs also come to dog school and that these dogs might not appreciate their dog charging up to say hi. :laugh:

I have not had to deal with this before so forgive my ignorance...but what can be done with a dog if the owner refuses to keep it under control. I haven't gotten an update about our incident, but I'm just curious about the laws or what council is likely to do if this dog is left to roam free?

There is a dog up at the park i sometimes go to that was recently attacked by a choc labrador.

Now the dog is aggressive towards any labrador looking dog that is not immediately submissive to it.

It comes over with a very full on approach, and will start "having a go" if the other dog does not immediately submit. Thankfully, mine is sensible enough to keep out of this dogs way and if it does come over- immediatley rolls on her back and starts doing submissive licking.

The owner seems to think that his dog being attacked is excuse enough for the dog to behave in this way.

The thing is, he actually does have pretty good control over the dog, just chooses not to use it?

I don't know if I should say something? I don't think the owner really sees it as a problem.

Not helped by the fact we were in the middle of a training session on the far side of the oval so now live in constant worry about dogs rushing while we are busy training.

And this same dog has issues with being scared of the world so the dog incidents aren't helping her cause. In fact we have spent 2 days away at our country place and I took both girls for a walk to the post box tonight and all Kenz wanted was for the ground to open up and swallow her whole. Very sad as she hasn't been that bad in 4 months :confused:. Sorry to hijack your thread kiesha - if you think catching up with Ness (not Kenz) would be of any benefit to your girl I am sure we can arrange something.

Why do you think this is Ness? Because its a different place? I go up the river quite alot because we have a shack up there and I like to ski but Kiesha quite sersiously thinks it is the most horrible experience that could possibly happen to her. She loves going swimming in the river but thats IT. I'm sure she just wishes the river would swallow her up. I think its because its very open and she doesn't feel protected so she just sits in her crate and mopes or lies on the couch for 23.75 hours of the day (15 mins for toileting and eating). These days I try to leave her with my parents at their house where she is much happier.

At the moment we are actually avoiding dogs altogether and just building up confidence out of our yard. She won't leave my side at the park and heels along as close to my leg as possible. I'm waiting for her to feel confident enough to go off and play. Once I've got that sorted I'll let you know Ness and take you up on the offer with Ness.

Mumsy I'm sorry your daughter had to go through that. I really hope that your dog is ok and there won't be any long lasting effects. Maybe you could walk with your daughters for a while until their confidence improves.

So sorry to hear about the attack, I hope she will recover ok:(

My little poodle x was attacked by a big dog a couple of weeks ago, altho some people question my use of the word 'attack' seeing as my dog wasn't injured. We were just walking down the street when this massive dog came around the corner, as soon as he saw my dog he ran straight for her towing the kid who was supposed to be walking him. I was able to pull him off my dog, and she was ok (had her checked by a vet) so the other dog was probably just being playful, but being that much bigger and out of control could still have seriously injured her. Happened 200 metres from our house.

My dog was very upset for about 5 days afterwards, she refused to sleep on her own bed, where she normally settles down as soon as she sees us going to bed, so she had to sleep on our bed, and wouldn't do any training (as in sit, shake etc) all she wanted to do was to crawl onto my lap.

But then after about 5 days she started to relax more and is now back to normal. She is very timid around big dogs tho. We went to a motivation and control class the other day, and there was a HUGE GSD in class as well, and the tiny woman at the other end of the lead had no chance at restraining him. He kept running up to my dog and scaring the cr** out of her, and she kept yelping and pulling on the lead every time he came near, and the owner still didn't understand that maybe she should keep her dog away from my dog. We stayed in a corner pretty much the whole class minding our own business, and this dog kept pulling his owner over to us. So even on lead it's not safe.

Sometimes I wonder if I should be adopting a big dog rather than another small dog, so he can protect my little one if something ever happens on walks....

Edited by fuzzy82

To the poster who envisioned separate 'runs' for the dogs at a dog park ... you're not alone. I am always forever daydreaming of a dog park that has securely fenced sections large enough for dog aggressive dogs to run within ... and that are not communal. This will then allow dogs that are fearful of others dogs and dogs that are dog aggressive to finally have some controlled safe off leash time.

We can dream can't we ? :)

There is a big dog park with lots of trees etc near here, and it also has a separate, fenced in area for small dogs. We haven't been yet because I only recently heard of it, but I have been told it's good. So that should be pretty safe for the small dogs, but of course that doesn't help the big aggressive dogs to run freely, or the people who take their big dogs to the park only to have them attacked by aggressive dogs...