Tubal Ligation V Desexing

sheena

I'm assuming a female pup?

THere is a procedure where they remove the uterus and one ovary. Tubal ligation still allows the dog to fully cycle so you are losing time when she's in heat and the chance of pregnancy if the ligation has now worked properly is still present.

Thanks for that info. I was wondering more about the problems with desexing a performance female dog too early as compared to having her tubes tied. If they remove the uterus & one ovary does this still allow her to grow out properly. I would have thought that having a tubal ligation done would be less invasive but what would the failure rate be? Have you heard of this failing. Obviously it would be an inconvenience to have her coming on heat too. ;)

Thanks for that info. I was wondering more about the problems with desexing a performance female dog too early as compared to having her tubes tied. If they remove the uterus & one ovary does this still allow her to grow out properly. I would have thought that having a tubal ligation done would be less invasive but what would the failure rate be? Have you heard of this failing. Obviously it would be an inconvenience to have her coming on heat too. :laugh:

Why put her through two lots of surgery? :rolleyes: Just wait until she is mature and desex then.

tubal ligation will still be abdominal surgery. If you never want to breed with her leaving one ovary in will allow the dog hormones without having the byproduct drippies of heat cycle :rolleyes:

I looked into this for my dog, all the vets I spoke to refused to do it. Why? "because we dont do it like that".

tubal ligation will still be abdominal surgery. If you never want to breed with her leaving one ovary in will allow the dog hormones without having the byproduct drippies of heat cycle :(

I looked into this for my dog, all the vets I spoke to refused to do it. Why? "because we dont do it like that".

I had a rescue dog who was left with one ovary after her spey. Long story, but the vets couldn't find it during desexing. :rolleyes:

She had her first 'season', swollen vulva, just no dripping (but she was a cow during it). She had to go back under for them to remove it later.

Ideally, I would have preferred her second ovary to be taken out at the same time as her first, and only have one surgery.

BTW, I had no choice in vets with her, now I do :laugh:

My father always had tubal ligation done on his dogs (ok bitches). He liked dogs to have sex but didn't want puppies. Ok, a little crazy, anthropromorphic, and all that.

The tubal is a much simpler operation than a full spey. It can very easily be tacked on to the end of a C-section . . . tying the tubes once the bitch has been cut open is a trivial job. But it does not give the same protection against oestrogen-stimulated diseases that a full spey does, and the girl will still come into season. Not sure whether a tube-tied girl is considered neutered or not when it comes to showing . . . but no one will know the difference.