Exporting Pet To The Uk

MyMontage

Hi all

Apologies if this has been brought up elsewhere....It's been a while since I've been on DOL (Sis I hope you haven't posted a topic regarding this!)

I am currently living in Singapore and my beloved pooch is still at home in Perth. We MIGHT (well more like probably) will be moving to Jersey - Channel Islands in the UK and I am trying to get Charl brought over.

Apparently there is a shortage of the rabies vaccine required to export to the UK without having to then have the dog in quarantine for 6 months. Does anyone know more about this...does anyone know a way around this (like some sneaky vaccine hiding somewhere I can have!)

I called AQIS and they said that it should be available in Aus again early next year......which means waiting for it, then waiting another 6 months before he can be exported.

Someone talk to me....even just tell me it's not FAIR! :provoke:

Hi all

Apologies if this has been brought up elsewhere....It's been a while since I've been on DOL (Sis I hope you haven't posted a topic regarding this!)

I am currently living in Singapore and my beloved pooch is still at home in Perth. We MIGHT (well more like probably) will be moving to Jersey - Channel Islands in the UK and I am trying to get Charl brought over.

Apparently there is a shortage of the rabies vaccine required to export to the UK without having to then have the dog in quarantine for 6 months. Does anyone know more about this...does anyone know a way around this (like some sneaky vaccine hiding somewhere I can have!)

I called AQIS and they said that it should be available in Aus again early next year......which means waiting for it, then waiting another 6 months before he can be exported.

Someone talk to me....even just tell me it's not FAIR! :provoke:

If it was me I would be taling to a importer (shipper) in the UK. they will know all the rules.

Seems strange they would want rabies, 1 month titer and 6 month waiting period. That is more than they want to import from the US/Canada which actually has rabies (can travel from the US to the UK now with a pet passport) I know this as some friends of mine took dogs over (US to UK) for a trail last year. No quarrantine, right off the plane and straight to the trial. One person from Canada sold their dog in the Uk and left it there. All with no dramas at all.

Yes I would be talking to an importer in the UK.

Edited by shortstep

I know Jersey is the same zone as the UK bringing them back, but I don't actually know anything useful. Just wanted to poke my nose in and say hi! :provoke:

ETA Definately not fair! As if you need another 6 months without Charlie!

Edited by valleyCBR

I didn't know there was a shortage of the vaccine, but I know you have to wait six months after the vaccine and have the dog tested before you can export them, or they have to be in quarantine in the UK for six months. :provoke:

The family who adopted a cocker spaniel that I rescued from Blacktown Pound are moving back to Scotland and they are taking the cocker with them, which I am delighted about, but also concerned because she is 13 years old and I am worried about how she will cope with the flight. Anyway, they didn't know about the rabies vaccination/quarantine until I told them. They have now decided that the wife will go in November with their baby (who is about 6 weeks old), the husband will fly over for Christmas with the extended family (whilst a friend house sits and looks after the dog), then he will fly back to Australia and stay here until everything is cleared for the dog to leave for the UK. I am so delighted that they are so committed to taking her with them. :rofl:

It is pretty tough regulations though, and the fact that there is no rabies vaccine here makes it even worse! :laugh: Now I am worried about how these people will go. I told them to see the vet ASAP about the vaccination, but I haven't heard how they went. :wave:

Here is alink to their new pet travel scheem. Follow the path for importing from Australia (is approved country) for no quarrantine. You need to follow the list of things to get done as well as all the applilcations. I would not attempt this without a shipper to lead you through it.

If it was me I would be taling to a importer (shipper) in the UK. they will know all the rules.

Seems strange they would want rabies, 1 month titer and 6 month waiting period. That is more than they want to import from the US/Canada which actually has rabies (can travel from the US to the UK now with a pet passport) I know this as some friends of mine took dogs over (US to UK) for a trail last year. No quarrantine, right off the plane and straight to the trial. One person from Canada sold their dog in the Uk and left it there. All with no dramas at all.

Yes I would be talking to an importer in the UK.

To gain instant entry via pet passport rabies is part of the deal.

The US dogs would also have followed the same protocol ,the main difference with manu US dogs is they are current for rabies vacc

It is also a requirement to enter many of the Euro countries through England or direct .

Rabies is still an issue in europe & was one of the biggest concerns when the train tunnel was built from France to the UK.

I would call the AQIS approved vets & see if any have stock also if havinga more defiant booking through a shipper it may gain you a quicker process

Yes you would think that wouldn't you....being that Aus doesn't have rabies...but rules are rules...

The Pet Passport is Rabies Vaccine, microchip, worming, blood test, then OK to go through without quarantine.

It is just so unfair. All I want is my pooch back :provoke:

Ok, first the dog has to be microchipped, this is checked BEFORE the rabies vaccine is given, 28 days later you can have blood drawn to test the titre levels are high enough - if the dog fails, it has to have another vaccine and another 28 day wait before taking more bloods.

Once the titre level is checked as OK, the dog can enter the UK 6 months from the day the blood was taken (not date of vaccination!!!)

If you want to bring the dog over earlier, it can do the remaining time in quarantine - ie if it was 5 months since bloods taken for rabies, it can just do the final month in quarantine.

The dog also needs treating for fleas/ticks and worms 24 - 48 hours before entry into the country, this must be done by a vet and documented in the Passport.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I did call the UK (as well as Jersey direct) and they both said the same thing. The rabies vaccination needs to be given. The guy I spoke to in the UK didn't realise that Aus had a shortage of the vaccine, but still there can't be anything done about it.

The lovely girl I spoke to at AQIS said they have tried SOOOOO hard to try and get the UK to lift their requirement on the rabies vaccine on dogs coming from Australia, but they just won't. I understand they probably want to protect their borders from this awful disease, but really....there is not a snowballs chance in hell that Charlie will bring it in anyway.

I only called one AQIS vet in Perth and they didn't have it....said it will be Feb next year (maybe). I don't want to leave him in quarrantine...he would have to stay in the England and I'd be in Jersey and I just won't leave an OES in quarrantine.....he needs care ya know!

The annoying thing is that he has EVERYTHING else.....microchipped, vaccinated against what he needs to be in Aus, has his monthly sentinel so should be protected against worms and fleas. He is a show dog....do you think I could pull that as an excuse and say there is some big show happening! I'll try anything really!

Also I had thought about bringing him through Singapore and seeing if there is a vaccine here, but we don't know exactly when we are leaving, and our visas here expire in March. All the unknowns from the move aren't helping the situation either

SIGH

You've called AQIS, an AQIS vet in Perth, some guy in the UK but what you need to do is - Speak to a TRANSPORT COMPANY! :(

Jetpets are fantastic and do international transfers all the time. They can find out the quickest way, or the cheapest way and know all requirements for vaccinations etc and *should* be able to access vaccinations for you. You will probably find there is a little stockpile of rabies vaccines with the vet they use. :laugh: