Sardines - From Where?

Erny

I've forgotten - what oceans should we avoid for the sardines and other seafood we feed our dogs?

I went to purchase some the other day. I tried to buy Australian but couldn't find any. Options were Canadian, Poland and Thailand. I didn't get any at all.

Edited by Erny

I've forgotten - what oceans should we avoid for the sardines and other seafood we feed our dogs?

I went to purchase some the other day. I tried to buy Australian but couldn't find any. Options were Canadian, Poland and Thailand. I didn't get any at all.

Noooo. Don't tell me I might be buying the wrong sardines, as well as all the other mistakes I seem to be making with my dog's diet. I just bought the woolies pack of 3 tins as someone suggested. Now, I have to worry that they might have strayed into the wrong ocean. BUGGER! :provoke:

If memory serves it's salmon you need to worry about not sardines, but maybe there's been a scare I haven't heard of :rofl:

AFAIK it's the fish higher up the food chain you have to be concerned about - they eat fish which have eaten other fish, and the concentrations of heavy metal can be high. I think it's the atlantic that's causing concern. Personally if it worries you'd I'd be googling :rofl:

If memory serves it's salmon you need to worry about not sardines, but maybe there's been a scare I haven't heard of :rofl:

AFAIK it's the fish higher up the food chain you have to be concerned about - they eat fish which have eaten other fish, and the concentrations of heavy metal can be high. I think it's the atlantic that's causing concern. Personally if it worries you'd I'd be googling :rofl:

Exactly right! Relax, sardines and mackerel are ok.

If memory serves it's salmon you need to worry about not sardines, but maybe there's been a scare I haven't heard of :D

Thank you.

Relax everyone. It is me that got this a bit mixed up - No, I haven't heard a recent 'thing'. Just mixed "salmon" with "sardines".

Cool.

Cheers.

Sorry that I caused a worry :rofl:.

If memory serves it's salmon you need to worry about not sardines, but maybe there's been a scare I haven't heard of :D

Thank you.

Relax everyone. It is me that got this a bit mixed up - No, I haven't heard a recent 'thing'. Just mixed "salmon" with "sardines".

Cool.

That's O.K.erny. Now all I have to worry about is the Atlantic salmon I'm so fond of.

Cheers.

Sorry that I caused a worry :rofl:.

That's O.K.erny. Now all I have to worry about is the Atlantic salmon I'm so fond of.

Oh dear :rofl:. I guess I'm lucky in that I can't and therefore don't eat seafood of any description, so I don't have to worry about things like this - except for my dog and the only seafood I've given him are sardines and on one occasion, mackerals. But if the concerns were something you weren't previously aware of and only became so as a result of this thread, then I guess that's a good thing.

Although I do think sometimes that ignorance is bliss :rofl:.

Edited by Erny

Oh dear :D. I guess I'm lucky in that I can't and therefore don't eat seafood of any description, so I don't have to worry about things like this - except for my dog and the only seafood I've given him are sardines and on one occasion, mackerals. But if the concerns were something you weren't previously aware of and only became so as a result of this thread, then I guess that's a good thing.

Although I do think sometimes that ignorance is bliss :rofl:.

I guess it'll be like all the other things I love that are supposedly shortening my life. I know it's bad for me, but what the hell, a little bit won't hurt, will it? Then eat the whole bar of chokkie, the full bag of chippies, packet of bikkies, tub of ice cream etc etc etc. Thankfully Atlantic salmon is pretty exe so I only buy it occasionally, and couldn't afford a whole one. :rofl:

I guess it'll be like all the other things I love that are supposedly shortening my life. I know it's bad for me, but what the hell, a little bit won't hurt, will it?

Ahhhh .... what the heck. Enjoy your meal of Salmon "from poisoned waters" - just have a glass of detox as a chaser ;).

I guess it'll be like all the other things I love that are supposedly shortening my life. I know it's bad for me, but what the hell, a little bit won't hurt, will it?

Ahhhh .... what the heck. Enjoy your meal of Salmon "from poisoned waters" - just have a glass of detox as a chaser ;).

Or two???? We are talking non-alcoholic, organic, Australian grown fruit and vege juice, aren't we?? Going out for a birthday lunch today to a place called "Winds and Fins" I'll be sure to ask for the non-Atlantic salmon. :D

Or two???? We are talking non-alcoholic, organic, Australian grown fruit and vege juice, aren't we?? Going out for a birthday lunch today to a place called "Winds and Fins" I'll be sure to ask for the non-Atlantic salmon. :D

That should be "Wings" and fins. But you all knew that.

That's a good tip, thanks Wotan.

the fresh atlantic salmon in australia is farmed fish from tassie

As is this.

Buy Australian :( (when you can) :laugh:.

It takes me an age and a half walking the supermarket isles these days. Not because I have a lot to buy, but because trying to sift through the shelves upon shelves of imported goods to find the Aussie equivalent is a bit like finding a needle in the hay stack. I want to return to shopping at 'normal' shops, such as grocery store, butcher, etc. Trouble with that (I find) are the hours they keep - I have been failing to manage to get there before normal trade closing hours. Means I need to organise myself better :D.

Edited by Erny

Oooh - never thought of that, GT. I googled and there's one just near where I go when I need to visit my chiro. Must remember that, and stock up for doggy :cheer:.

Cheers

Erny

Edited by Erny