Wow - Pet Insurance

SeeGee

Ok. Mias' first vet bill for the poison was $515.00. Posted (via snail mail) that claim on Tuesday afternoon. Refund of over $335.00 processed back into our account on Friday. WOW. I'm impressed with speed of processing. No questions asked. Im just amazed.

Shes' more snappy, and gets quite tired, but other than that, she is back to normal. Bossing us all around. I kinda feels like she is saying to us - "ha ha mum, I laugh in the face of death!'

She's fine. im still recovering ha ha.

Shes' more snappy, and gets quite tired, but other than that, she is back to normal. Bossing us all around. I kinda feels like she is saying to us - "ha ha mum, I laugh in the face of death!'

She's fine. im still recovering ha ha.

As long as she is okay that's good. You - I'm sure you will recover :)

she got weed killer :):thumbsup: ;) :thumbsup:

We were very very lucky.

It was actually (please dont hit me) R S P C A.

Mia came with a policy when we got her, and it was easier to continue that policy than change. I just can't believe how fast it was.

Edited by jacquilee81

Can anyone recommend the best product they have found?

So far I have looked at suncorp, and medibank private.

Comparison Suncorp Medibank

Cost (2 dogs) $390 $372

Cover Accident Accident

Per claim Sunc

(ongoing & initial) $2000

Per Year Medibank $8000

Excess $?? $100 per issue (not claim)

Illness not covered not covered

That's a pretty basic run down of the policies but any one that knows of a great product I'd be greatly appreciated. Medibank do offer illness cover but it is very expensive.

We currently have medibank private health cover and Platinum House & contents with Suncorp, so they would be add on policies with both.

Anyone know of anything exceptionally better as a stand alone product?

Edited by shelby-001

I have one dog with RSPCA Insurance (4 years now, and they have paid out close to $10,000 to date) and the puppy will be with either RSPCA or Pet Insurance Australia .... different types of policies but one is a puppy and the other is an older dog, so trying to decide which would be most appropriate.

I did do a comparison of about 8 of the most common/popular pet insurance companies and PIA was up there with RSPCA.

I have one dog with RSPCA Insurance (4 years now, and they have paid out close to $10,000 to date) and the puppy will be with either RSPCA or Pet Insurance Australia .... different types of policies but one is a puppy and the other is an older dog, so trying to decide which would be most appropriate.

I did do a comparison of about 8 of the most common/popular pet insurance companies and PIA was up there with RSPCA.

Does your RSPCA cover include accident and illness or only accident and what's the annual premium like? I will check them out tomorrow anyway. Thanks for that

Does your RSPCA cover include accident and illness or only accident and what's the annual premium like? I will check them out tomorrow anyway. Thanks for that

They have an option for accident and illness which is what I always have.

My older dog costs about $500 per annum and the puppy will be about $460 per annum if I decide to go with RSPCA again. That is for their top cover option of 80%.

The best alternative I have found is PIA and their premium would be around $370 per annum with $100 excess per condition.

They have an option for accident and illness which is what I always have.

My older dog costs about $500 per annum and the puppy will be about $460 per annum if I decide to go with RSPCA again. That is for their top cover option of 80%.

The best alternative I have found is PIA and their premium would be around $370 per annum with $100 excess per condition.

I've just taken out a PIA policy, Accident and Illness. I'm paying $37.60 per month for $15,000 cover with a $100 excess per condition. They also pay 100% of the bill rather than 80% like a lot of other policies I looked at.

If you check out this site for insurance... http://www.petsure.com.au/

All the companies featured are underwritten by the same underwriter.

click on each one and you can get quotes, there was one there (it MAY have been vets Own) that I must have made an error when filling out the form, I thought it was a quote but it was to sign up :( it was really expensive but at least they were pretty nice on the phone when I asked them to cancel the policy.

I went with Bow Wow Meow, which aren't the cheapest but do cover older dogs...up to 7 or 8 years for accident & sickness, over 8 accident only, (unless they have been insured for A & S before turning 8 then they stay the same)

Charlie is with medibank, they pay out less than RSPCA (who mia is with), on the same comparitable level of cover. If I get another pup in the future, I think we may go with RSPCA. Medibank Pet Insurance (underwritten by the same company as RSPCA) gives me the run around every time. RSPCA is just such smooth sailing its amazing.

I've just taken out a PIA policy, Accident and Illness. I'm paying $37.60 per month for $15,000 cover with a $100 excess per condition. They also pay 100% of the bill rather than 80% like a lot of other policies I looked at.

Any pet insurer who pays 100% of the bill also charges a $100 excess, unlike insurers who pay out 80%, and who don't charge an excess at all.

So things like ear infections, hotspots etc, a vet visit won't be much more than $100 if that, which means you aren't going to get much back if anything, if you are required to pay a $100 excess.

However if your insurer pays out 80%, you get to claim on every vet visit and get most of your money back.

You need to work out the sort of cover that will suit you best. It's horses for courses. :cheer:

Any pet insurer who pays 100% of the bill also charges a $100 excess, unlike insurers who pay out 80%, and who don't charge an excess at all.

So things like ear infections, hotspots etc, a vet visit won't be much more than $100 if that, which means you aren't going to get much back if anything, if you are required to pay a $100 excess.

However if your insurer pays out 80%, you get to claim on every vet visit and get most of your money back.

You need to work out the sort of cover that will suit you best. It's horses for courses. :cheer:

Very true. For me, the policy is for the expensive things like Chemo or surgery. If a vet bill came to $100 for an ear infection I wouldn't even worry about the insurance but for surgery or treatment that came to $5000, then I know I am only going to pay $100, rather than $1000 with a policy that only pays 80%.

Very true. For me, the policy is for the expensive things like Chemo or surgery. If a vet bill came to $100 for an ear infection I wouldn't even worry about the insurance but for surgery or treatment that came to $5000, then I know I am only going to pay $100, rather than $1000 with a policy that only pays 80%.

YEp that was my thinking as well.

If I get a few thousand dollar snake bite it will only cost me $100, not 20% of a few thousand. I personally got it to cover the big things ie Snake bites, broken bones, stitch up etc.