What To Do?

Macmac

Hi guys,

Over the long weekend, my wife and i travelled to Wagga to buy a staffy pup that we named Sookie - this was my wife's first puppy.

This morning at 8:00, following an emergency dash to the vet, she was put to sleep due to a skull defect that was mis-diagnosed

as "she must have had a little bump on the head". My wife held her in her arms as she passed away. :cheer:

Needless to say, my wife is pretty devestated, she never got to see her perfect little puppy grow up, never got to play with her or anything.

What would you guys do? Get another puppy straight away? give sookie's things to a resuce charity? I really don't know what to do.

Cheers.

I'm so sorry for your loss ;) :)

RIP Sookie :cheer:

People deal with grief in different ways so I really can't say what would be best for you guys.

However, when our beloved dog died, we got rid of all her things- it was too painful having them in the house. It might be nice to them to a charity though (we didn'; becuase our dog was old and so were her things). We kept her bed and bowls though, which we now use for our puppy. It might be good to keep some practical things like the bed, crate, food bowls etc to use when you are ready to get another puppy.

Just put them in the garage or somewhere you can't see them.

From my personal experience, getting another dog did help me. Maybe you could foster or do something temporary while you decide?

Because you were so ready to for a puppy, perhaps it would be best to get another puppy, which will obviously never replace her, but may help the healing process.

My mum was intially resentful to our new puppy and would compare her to the old dog saying things like "Clover wouldn't do that" etc but the situation is quite different- Clover was an old dog who really didn't do much and the new pup is an 8 week old lab- very full of life, mum couldn;t really cope. BUt now puppy has settled down she really likes her and even sayd she is better trained and more affectionate than Clover (though she still loves clover more).

Anyway, again, i'm so sorry to hear about sookie, you must be devastated.

Do what "feels" right to you.

When people loose an old dog I usually advise them to wait a while to give them time to grieve for a dog that has been a big part of their life but when it is a puppy that has died I think you would better to try to get another as soon as possible. Is the breeder able to offer a replacement puppy or can they organise one from another breeder for you.? If the puppy was born with this defect the breeder should either replace the puppy or refund the purchase price.

If a replacement is not possible then you may like to consider getting a different breed so you won't be comparing the new puppy to the one you lost.

It is just so sad to lose a puppy that you were all excited about getting and it is tragic for the breeder as well to lose a puppy they raised for 8 weeks. As a breeder the greatest worry is selling someone a puppy with a defect that was not detected in the routine vet checks. If there is a problem the breeder needs to know before the puppy leaves because no one wants to sell a sick puppy. It is hard enough having to put down a puppy that has a problem detected but far worse to know that you inadvertently passed that problem onto someone else.

I'm so sorry for your loss ;) :)

RIP Sookie :cheer:

People deal with grief in different ways so I really can't say what would be best for you guys.

However, when our beloved dog died, we got rid of all her things- it was too painful having them in the house. It might be nice to them to a charity though (we didn'; becuase our dog was old and so were her things). We kept her bed and bowls though, which we now use for our puppy. It might be good to keep some practical things like the bed, crate, food bowls etc to use when you are ready to get another puppy.

Just put them in the garage or somewhere you can't see them.

From my personal experience, getting another dog did help me. Maybe you could foster or do something temporary while you decide?

Because you were so ready to for a puppy, perhaps it would be best to get another puppy, which will obviously never replace her, but may help the healing process.

My mum was intially resentful to our new puppy and would compare her to the old dog saying things like "Clover wouldn't do that" etc but the situation is quite different- Clover was an old dog who really didn't do much and the new pup is an 8 week old lab- very full of life, mum couldn;t really cope. BUt now puppy has settled down she really likes her and even sayd she is better trained and more affectionate than Clover (though she still loves clover more).

Anyway, again, i'm so sorry to hear about sookie, you must be devastated.

Do what "feels" right to you.

When people loose an old dog I usually advise them to wait a while to give them time to grieve for a dog that has been a big part of their life but when it is a puppy that has died I think you would better to try to get another as soon as possible. Is the breeder able to offer a replacement puppy or can they organise one from another breeder for you.? If the puppy was born with this defect the breeder should either replace the puppy or refund the purchase price.

If a replacement is not possible then you may like to consider getting a different breed so you won't be comparing the new puppy to the one you lost.

It is just so sad to lose a puppy that you were all excited about getting and it is tragic for the breeder as well to lose a puppy they raised for 8 weeks. As a breeder the greatest worry is selling someone a puppy with a defect that was not detected in the routine vet checks. If there is a problem the breeder needs to know before the puppy leaves because no one wants to sell a sick puppy. It is hard enough having to put down a puppy that has a problem detected but far worse to know that you inadvertently passed that problem onto someone else.

Thanks guys, i think i'll get wife a new puppy, maybe a white staffy as Sookie was black. I grew up on a farm, and i've lost a lot of pets over the years, but as i said, this was my wife's first dog, so she's crushed. The breeders were as devestated as we are. I rang them and the old girl broke down, all she could do was tell me how sorry she was and she said we'll get a full refund. Her son is at work now i think, so i'll probably speak to them again tonight. They did have another puppy there but she is going to be a big girl though, Sookie was tiny.

Edited by Macmac

How sorry to hear about Sookie, must have been really hard. :)

I think you will know whats right to do, if it were me, I need at least 2 weeks or so for everything to sink in till I made a decision. I am sure you guys will get another puppy but just make sure she is ready (usually always once you meet a new pup you will feel much better)

In comparing dogs, I agree another breed makes it easier or yes another colour.

Good luck and lots of :cheer:

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I'm not sure what we're going to do just yet, my wife said she's too scared to get another puppy from fear that something will happen to it as well. :bolt:

I don't want her to miss out on all the great experiences that dogs can bring, so i'll take it one day at a time for now and see how she feels in a few weeks.

There are 4 days of dog shows on in Canberra this weekend.

Would she be up to going out to have a bit of a look around?

Oh really? Actually, i spoke to her about going to look at some staffy pups this weekend and she agreed, so we'd probably be up for a look around. I'll send you a PM for the details. Thanks. :laugh:

Does anybody know if that sort of skull defect is common in puppies? She's terrified of it happening again if we do get another puppy.

There are 4 days of dog shows on in Canberra this weekend.

Would she be up to going out to have a bit of a look around?

Oh really? Actually, i spoke to her about going to look at some staffy pups this weekend and she agreed, so we'd probably be up for a look around. I'll send you a PM for the details. Thanks. :love:

Does anybody know if that sort of skull defect is common in puppies? She's terrified of it happening again if we do get another puppy.

No it's not common and sorry for your loss.

Personally, I think that some people need time to mend and for others a new puppy, although it never replaces what has been lost, can help mend a broken heart.

If you fancy a drive this way, we have babies at the moment

what was the actual skull defect? Was it a skull that had not fused properly or had a hole through the bone?

I'm not sure of the medical name, but the vet said her skull had stopped growing?

No it's not common and sorry for your loss.

Personally, I think that some people need time to mend and for others a new puppy, although it never replaces what has been lost, can help mend a broken heart.

If you fancy a drive this way, we have babies at the moment

Thank you.

We may be up for a drive. Where are you located?

Blayney. :love:

The pups had their first visitors today ( other than family and close friends ) and enjoyed being social, so you're more than welcome anytime

Thanks. It's not really any further than Wagga, you have a website?

Blayney. :eek:

The pups had their first visitors today ( other than family and close friends ) and enjoyed being social, so you're more than welcome anytime

Thanks. It's not really any further than Wagga, you have a website?

umm yes, but given that the other half designs websites and hosts, naturally it's very out of date :love:

feel free to email me at [email protected] and I can send you pics, show you relatives etc. :rofl:

ETA: I can get from home to EPIC in three hours

Edited by ReadySetGo