A Surprise On Our Walk Today

Simply Grand

Foxes are massive pests, and if you saw the damage they cause to livestock, particularly lambs and chickens you wouldn't think them so cute anymore. Unlike a lot of predators, foxes don't kill just for necessity/food, they kill for the sheer pleasure of it. I went to a wildlife place on Thursday, the lady who runs it had a fox get into her chicken pen overnight. FORTY chickens dead plus many many injured.

I didn't know that! Those fox babies though... far out they are cute. I Have to remind myself they turn into adult foxes with those sly eyes

Foxes are an animal, they did not choose to be brought to this country. We as humans are responsible for that as well as the slow destruction of this earth.

That being said they are a pest in Australia & need to be eradicated BUT it needs to be done as humanely as possible.

Just to add, I have previously worked on a sheep farm & every week we would go spotlighting for rabbits & foxes, it wasn't a drunken affair like you see many city folk doing on long weekends in the country, but only done to stop pests. It was one shot to kill (if possible) not "maim the animal & let it die of infection/starvation" it was the most humane way we had to eradicate them. I would far prefer a pest to die this way than a bait. Anyway getting back to it...

Maybe if you go past the drain tomorrow & they are still there it might be worth seeing if you could collect them in a box/cage & take them into the vet for euthanasia. No it's not nice, nor is it your responsibility but it's better than them starving if their mother has been shot/baited or them drowning. Hopefully council get off their butts by then & do what they're paid to do. Also to add, there are some zoos/wildlife parks that do keep foxes on display in Australia. Poor little guys, it's a cruel world.

Foxes are an animal, they did not choose to be brought to this country. We as humans are responsible for that as well as the slow destruction of this earth.

That being said they are a pest in Australia & need to be eradicated BUT it needs to be done as humanely as possible.

Just to add, I have previously worked on a sheep farm & every week we would go spotlighting for rabbits & foxes, it wasn't a drunken affair like you see many city folk doing on long weekends in the country, but only done to stop pests. It was one shot to kill (if possible) not "maim the animal & let it die of infection/starvation" it was the most humane way we had to eradicate them. I would far prefer a pest to die this way than a bait. Anyway getting back to it...

Maybe if you go past the drain tomorrow & they are still there it might be worth seeing if you could collect them in a box/cage & take them into the vet for euthanasia. No it's not nice, nor is it your responsibility but it's better than them starving if their mother has been shot/baited or them drowning. Hopefully council get off their butts by then & do what they're paid to do. Also to add, there are some zoos/wildlife parks that do keep foxes on display in Australia. Poor little guys, it's a cruel world.

It sure is a cruel world :confused: I'm sure it would be better for them to go by the green needle rather than poison or getting shot at, be careful though if you do try to collect them, the mother may be sleeping at the back of the drain

Maybe if you go past the drain tomorrow & they are still there it might be worth seeing if you could collect them in a box/cage & take them into the vet for euthanasia.
be careful though if you do try to collect them, the mother may be sleeping at the back of the drain

:confused: I'd leave it to the professionals to collect them if I was the OP!

Foxes are massive pests, and if you saw the damage they cause to livestock, particularly lambs and chickens you wouldn't think them so cute anymore. Unlike a lot of predators, foxes don't kill just for necessity/food, they kill for the sheer pleasure of it. I went to a wildlife place on Thursday, the lady who runs it had a fox get into her chicken pen overnight. FORTY chickens dead plus many many injured.

I didn't know that! Those fox babies though... far out they are cute. I Have to remind myself they turn into adult foxes with those sly eyes

Yeah. Fox cubs are very cute, but after witnessing the destruction they cause as adults...it's really horrible. :) I have a few first hand stories of what foxes do during lambing season but I'll spare you the details.

All of Canberra is bush suburbs as far as the critters are concerned. There are so many green belts. You get roos in Civic.

So is quite a lot of Adelaide - there are foxes living all the way along linear park and quite active in Alberton and Port Adelaide areas, not to mention anywhere with a river corridor or any bush parks nearby. And we've had roos in the Parklands. As well as foxes. And don't get me started about possums. Sigh. I reckon I could make a fortune selling "secret ingredient" dog treats.

Maybe if you go past the drain tomorrow & they are still there it might be worth seeing if you could collect them in a box/cage & take them into the vet for euthanasia.
be careful though if you do try to collect them, the mother may be sleeping at the back of the drain

:eek: I'd leave it to the professionals to collect them if I was the OP!

So would I! I wouldn't want to meet those teeth if they do so much damage to lambs and other animals :cry: