Canine Coolers

B-Q

I wanted to buy a couple of cooling mats for Buster and Quinn's crates this year, the house gets so, so hot in summer, especially in my room and I want them to have a cool place to go. (They are in my room when I'm away)

Has anyone bought one before or is there something else you would recommend?

i have a few , I put then in a cloth cover and the dogs love laying on the in the heat , I myself have been foun d laying on one :coffee:

I bought the ones from deals direct , fill with water like a water bed bladder

We bought a mat with gel like crystals inside that would swell when it was soaked in water. It was definitely cool and impressive but our dog was reluctant to lie on it because of its unsteady slimy and squishy texture even though it was quite thin. It also needed to be hosed off and hung out to dry daily. This was difficult as it was damp and heavy. We decided to get rid of it after a few days because it began to stink! :coffee:

I am looking forward to seeing what has worked well for others (as well as what to steer clear of)

The bladder one sounds encouraging.

I have one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SIZE-4-POLAR-PAD-CO...=item3a5eba8024

They are fairly heavy when wet but stay cool for days. The cool collars are good too http://cgi.ebay.com.au/POLAR-COLLAR-COOL-P...=item563f848333

...and last years cool collar/mat thread: http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...815&hl=cool :rofl:

The seller is a DOLer and she's awesome :laugh:

Hi I've had 2 different type of coolings mats. The first was the bladder one, seeing I have goldies they were way too heavy and personally found they didn't actually do much cooling. I sold the bladder one, next I bought a cooling mat, the gel type crystals which you wet then put in the freezer, and it lasts for a few days (found this good especially showing when we were away a day or 2).

I know Mars Grooming Products where selling them, thats where I got mine, but when I went on to their website they said they were unavailable but there is still a picture of them up there. I found the gel type one fantastic, not heavy and when dry they just fold up neatly. I never had any trouble with them smelling or anything like that.

Thanks guys.

I do like the look of the polar pads thickness for Buster because he's got HD.

LittlePoppet, those look quiet thin, are they? I would probably still consider one because I do plan on travelling with Quinn a lot when she's older and that would be easier to travel with.

yes quite thin compared to the bladder type mats...

and definatly easy to travel with!!

they are decieving and dont look like they would do much but they stay cool for ages....

and if you want you could put it in the fridge or freezer i guess....

i use fridge cold water when its available....

I had the same experience! The dogs hated it and wouldn't lie on it so I ended up chucking it. Not sure if my guys would cope with the bladder either. I love the Cool Champions Coats and am thinking of buying a mat.

We bought a mat with gel like crystals inside that would swell when it was soaked in water. It was definitely cool and impressive but our dog was reluctant to lie on it because of its unsteady slimy and squishy texture even though it was quite thin. It also needed to be hosed off and hung out to dry daily. This was difficult as it was damp and heavy. We decided to get rid of it after a few days because it began to stink! :rolleyes:

I am looking forward to seeing what has worked well for others (as well as what to steer clear of)

The bladder one sounds encouraging.