Male Desexing

Marley'z Mum

Thanks clastic, marley is driving me a little nutty with the licky, its probably not that bad i am just worried he will pop the stitches or something.... He has the collar (cone) but he drives me a lil nutty when he has that on aswell coz he walks into everything lol.....

I am wondering if the stitches are pinching him a little he seems to be resting then he will jump almost like something has just bit him.... What do u think?

Hope the other boys are doing well

Possibly, or where the stiches are he could be itchy from it scabbing up or maybe even still a touch sore.

I feel your pain, Mars is also hitting everything with his cone. 8 more days to go!!

Edited by Clastic

Didn't seem to with any of my boys.

Frankly I think the end of adolesence has more effect. For some dogs, that time and desexing coincide.

Had a huge affect on 2 boys I sold, one 18 months, and on 5 years, neither could go with other males, now they go to the dog park and play with other males, depends how much is testosterone and how much is there genetic temperament I think.

Thanks clastic, marley is driving me a little nutty with the licky, its probably not that bad i am just worried he will pop the stitches or something.... He has the collar (cone) but he drives me a lil nutty when he has that on aswell coz he walks into everything lol.....

I am wondering if the stitches are pinching him a little he seems to be resting then he will jump almost like something has just bit him.... What do u think?

Hope the other boys are doing well

Possibly, or where the stiches are he could be itchy from it scabbing up or maybe even still a touch sore.

I feel your pain, Mars is also hitting everything with his cone. 8 more days to go!!

I found i only had to cone head Mindy for the first 2 days after she came home. Then she seemed ready to carry on like normal (but sadly was not allowed to). I think you'll find your boys will recover so quickly, they will forget about the stitches after a day or two- i'd be worried if they didn't.

I'd be inclined to do reasonably long leash walks after day 3 (upto 30 mins) otherwise you'll find your dog goes psycho and is actually more likely to do damage.

Seems to be worse than ever today, wont leave it alone, an when we are telling him no he opens his mouth at us not a bite but an open mouth (if that makes sense) so have put the cone back on him we had been able to leave it off for a lil while and he would listen to us an stop but not today...... Probably doesnt help that they shaved him so that is probably irritating....

Did they shave mars?

Seems to be worse than ever today, wont leave it alone, an when we are telling him no he opens his mouth at us not a bite but an open mouth (if that makes sense) so have put the cone back on him we had been able to leave it off for a lil while and he would listen to us an stop but not today...... Probably doesnt help that they shaved him so that is probably irritating....

Did they shave mars?

Yup, Mars is shaved and he has rashes and scratches from being shaved too. I hope it settles for Marley soon, poor boy. *hugs* for him!

Oh poor guys! Cone heads and itchy/sore balls all round! What about bitter spray? We've tried it, but not really sure if its working or not. We just don't spray it directly 'on' the area - more difficult than it sounds!

Max is down to an occasional lick now - so I think we can put the conehead away. But the 'enforced' rest (ie us not playing with him as much/as energetically and no off-lead runs with other dogs) has started to give him a bit of cabin fever! He even did a few zoomies yesterday, which is unlike him. So I took him for a walk - just a gentle stroll around the block. But this worked a treat! And today we went to obedience classes - which has also helped - he's been happily resting ever since!

And I've been giving him so many things to chew on. This works for distracting him from his balls, and for getting him to lie still-ish. We're paying a farty price for that though!

Oh I hope everyone is feeling better soon!

Thanks judy..... Marley is at the vets at the moment, will be picking him up this afternoon :-) hopefully all goes well

Hi Marley'z Mum,

I have just finished reading all the posts about Marley's desexing. Hope he is feeling better today. We were lucky we didn't need to use a collar on Bud. I couldn't imagine a little Chihuahua with one of those on anyway. It must a pain for the dog when they have to wear them. Hope all is well with Marley.

Bud is still running around and happy. It is impossible to keep him calm and quiet. All he wants to do is play. Oh well everything is still okay so that is the main thing.

Edited by judy69

It's more of a pain for a dog or bitch to go back into surgery because they've pulled out their stitches. Some dogs and bitches you can get away without using a bucket or elizabethan collar but it's better to be safe than sorry. The same with letting them run around, it is best to keep them quiet and give their wounds the best chance of healing.

Cone has stayed on all day today coz he just wont leave it alone.... I lost a cat a few years ago due to it pulling stitches after being desexed so trust me i am completely paranoid bout him pulling the stitches...

As for the keeping him quiet thats a little more difficult, it isnt like it can be explained to him why he shouldnt play when he wants to lol