Our New Labrador Puppy

chellz

Hi everyone, we got our yellow labrardor 4 days ago 'ELLA'

I have already taught her to sit and drop (with food) and i was wondering how long do you wait till you faze out the food rewards and just give her praise? And how long does it usually take?

I am also trying to house train her, any ideas plze? I put her out 1st thing in the morning and at night and thru the day she is usually outside with me and the kids! I use a comand 'wee wee' and when she goes i give her praise or a treat! Also i dont want to overwhelme her so how long should i wait to indroduce her to a new command?

Love to hear your own stories on training

Edited by chellz

hi Chellz!

You have a gorgeous puppy!

Aren't labradors just the best ?LOL

I have a 6 month old black lab girl called Mindy (well she is not really mine, she is a guide dog pup)

My puppy learnt to sit on her first day and drop on her second. They are very bright and eager learners. Are you at the stage where you're not "luring" her?

I think it is probably too early to start phasing out rewards just yet- you want to keep up her enthusiam for learning at this age. It took us a few weeks to phase out the hand signal for drop but she was doing it with the hand signal within a few days. With sit, if she does it without the lure, you could probably start using praise and/or a toy instead of food and see how she responds. Most puppies get sit very quickly. Make her sit for all her meals and make her sit when she approaches you or other people as this will help stop jumping up.

with house training do you reward her for going in the right spot?

If she is generally outside with you all day, it might be hard for her to realsie that she only should go outside if you';re not rewarding her.

I like to use one spot of the garden so the pup knows "if i go here i get a reward, but if i go anywhere else i don't get anything" and it is also easier to clean up.

Regarding other commands- I have had around 4 or 5 tricks on the go at one time. My puppy already had sit, drop, rollover, shake hands and speak by 9 weeks old.

I would tend to go with the tricks that are more natural for her at the moment- you might notice she rolls around on the ground a lot or paws you a lot and you can use that to your advantage.

I've really slacked off with her trick training at the moment and have mainly been focusing on the walk training, but intend to do some more with her when I am finshed my honours project (10 days!!!).

How are you going with puppy biting? My pup was pretty bad when she first came home and would always be trying to bite and mouth us! she would even latch on to your trouser leg or chase you and try to bite your legs.

You will find labradors are so full of fun and love, and very quick to learn. Enjoy her- they don't stay little for too long but they remain adorable for ever!

Edited by aussielover

I would also look into clicker training, if you arent familiar with the concept Ill try and find some good informative threads on here for you, but basically the click is a marker used to mark the correct behaviour at exactly the right time, puppy learn that the 'click' means a reward is coming, be that food, play or praise. Not everyone uses a clicker either some use a "yes" command, so their puppy learns that "yes" means a reward is coming

As for toilet training I didnt have to do a lot of work for my Goldie, as she practically trained herself, but everytime you catch her going to the toilet in the right place say "yes wee wee" and give her loads of praise and rewards, if you do happen to catch her in the wrong place (inside) just ignore it, clean it up and hope you catch her earlier next time

hi Chellz!

You have a gorgeous puppy!

Aren't labradors just the best ?LOL

I have a 6 month old black lab girl called Mindy (well she is not really mine, she is a guide dog pup)

My puppy learnt to sit on her first day and drop on her second. They are very bright and eager learners. Are you at the stage where you're not "luring" her?

I think it is probably too early to start phasing out rewards just yet- you want to keep up her enthusiam for learning at this age. It took us a few weeks to phase out the hand signal for drop but she was doing it with the hand signal within a few days. With sit, if she does it without the lure, you could probably start using praise and/or a toy instead of food and see how she responds. Most puppies get sit very quickly. Make her sit for all her meals and make her sit when she approaches you or other people as this will help stop jumping up.

with house training do you reward her for going in the right spot?

If she is generally outside with you all day, it might be hard for her to realsie that she only should go outside if you';re not rewarding her.

I like to use one spot of the garden so the pup knows "if i go here i get a reward, but if i go anywhere else i don't get anything" and it is also easier to clean up.

Regarding other commands- I have had around 4 or 5 tricks on the go at one time. My puppy already had sit, drop, rollover, shake hands and speak by 9 weeks old.

I would tend to go with the tricks that are more natural for her at the moment- you might notice she rolls around on the ground a lot or paws you a lot and you can use that to your advantage.

I've really slacked off with her trick training at the moment and have mainly been focusing on the walk training, but intend to do some more with her when I am finshed my honours project (10 days!!!).

How are you going with puppy biting? My pup was pretty bad when she first came home and would always be trying to bite and mouth us! she would even latch on to your trouser leg or chase you and try to bite your legs.

You will find labradors are so full of fun and love, and very quick to learn. Enjoy her- they don't stay little for too long but they remain adorable for ever!

Yep i just love labradors!! They are just so darn cute and smart hehehe.. I cant believe you got her to rollover.. i tried tonight and she had no idea :p Do i get her to drop then reward then give the command to rollover then reward? Did you show her by pushing her to rollover? or is my lab just abit ditzy hahahahaha..

Funny you said about the nipping, she has(mainly with the kids if they are down low with her) I just tell the kids to try and stay above her and if she goes for their clothes and i yell 'no' and she is hyper and keeps going i just put her in the bathroom for a few minutes to calm down.. ive put her in twice and when she comes out she dosent seem to do it again after that.. I find the morning she is more hypo!!

The sit before she meets someone is a great idea ill try that.. she hasent been jumpy much but she is still so little, its when she gets bigger it gets a problem. Do you have any other dogs besides milly? She is soo gorgeous!! Id love to have a black lab too.. If you can post some pics.. id love to see her :laugh:

Edited by chellz

free downloads here

http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads

download before and after you get a puppy, you won't be sorry :p

good luck with your puppy

Thankyou soo much ill go check that out now!! :laugh:

update: I just read some info and its very intresting about biting.. i always yelp if she nips me but if she dosent respond i put her in the bathroom for a few minutes.. they said that she dosent learn from that but when she comes out she dosent seem so nippy! I know their are alot of theorys but its still hard to choose which one will be right

Edited by chellz

I would also look into clicker training, if you arent familiar with the concept Ill try and find some good informative threads on here for you, but basically the click is a marker used to mark the correct behaviour at exactly the right time, puppy learn that the 'click' means a reward is coming, be that food, play or praise. Not everyone uses a clicker either some use a "yes" command, so their puppy learns that "yes" means a reward is coming

As for toilet training I didnt have to do a lot of work for my Goldie, as she practically trained herself, but everytime you catch her going to the toilet in the right place say "yes wee wee" and give her loads of praise and rewards, if you do happen to catch her in the wrong place (inside) just ignore it, clean it up and hope you catch her earlier next time

aww your goldie is just adorable!! Ive heard of clicker training but not exactly sure how it works.. Where can you buy the clickers from?

Yep i just love labradors!! They are just so darn cute and smart hehehe.. I cant believe you got her to rollover.. i tried tonight and she had no idea :p Do i get her to drop then reward then give the command to rollover then reward? Did you show her by pushing her to rollover? or is my lab just abit ditzy hahahahaha..

Funny you said about the nipping, she has(mainly with the kids if they are down low with her) I just tell the kids to try and stay above her and if she goes for their clothes and i yell 'no' and she is hyper and keeps going i just put her in the bathroom for a few minutes to calm down.. ive put her in twice and when she comes out she dosent seem to do it again after that.. I find the morning she is more hypo!!

The sit before she meets someone is a great idea ill try that.. she hasent been jumpy much but she is still so little, its when she gets bigger it gets a problem. Do you have any other dogs besides milly? She is soo gorgeous!! Id love to have a black lab too.. If you can post some pics.. id love to see her :laugh:

For rollover:

get her to drop then move the food down and to the side, so you're not pushing her into it, more guiding with the food.

Clicker training makes it very easy as you can break it down into small steps. A marker word like "yes" also works too (which is what i use). So to start with you will reward as soon as she lies on her side and then as she begins to understand what you want you can start asking for more roll- then reward for her being on her back and then only reward when she completely rolls over.

I've probably made it sound harder than it is LOL

I found waving my hand in a circular motion to the side was useful for my dog and it later became the hand signal.

Re: jumping- it takes them a while to discover this pleasure! Mine discovered it at around 4 months, she hadn't ever jumped before that. She is doing much better now though and rarely jumps up on people now (except my mum who sometimes forgets to ignore her and rewards her with cuddles)

with the biting and nipping I just ignored my puppy when she did this or got up and walked away and she grew out of it in a few weeks. Obviously it is harder coz you have kids, if you do a search on here you will find lots of info on puppy biting, peopple seem to have different opinions on how to deal with it. The main thing is to find one that works for you.

Are you gonna post some pics in the lab forum :clap:

post-31284-1286783267.jpg

Mindy at 8 weeks

post-31284-1286783305_thumb.jpg

Mindy at 10 weeks

post-31284-1286783381_thumb.jpg

at 4.5 months

post-31284-1286783469_thumb.jpg

4.5 months

Edited by aussielover

aww your goldie is just adorable!! Ive heard of clicker training but not exactly sure how it works.. Where can you buy the clickers from?

You can get clickers from petshops, I got mine from BigW, they are pretty easy to get hold of

Take a look at these pages

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...l=clicker++help

Are you going to enrol your girl in puppy preschool?