Regaining Ring Confidence

Paptacular!

Portia has been having issues in the ring for at least the past 6-8 months.

She is moping around the ring with her tail down and generally not having the happy Papillon temperament.

I've been struggling to try and pinpoint an incident that may have occurred about the time that it started, but have not been able to put it down to anything.

I have tried the following without success: Rescue Remedy, Behave Paste, leaving her in her crate until right before her turn in the ring, giving her to someone else before our turn and walking away for a while to see if she would be happier with me when I return to take her into the ring (worked for about 30 seconds).

Have stopped short of sending her in with a different handler, because another handler had a practice with her outside the ring and she wouldn't work well for her.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

We don't have ringcraft classes running up here at the moment (haven't had any for the past few years), so she can't get any experience close to that of a show environment other than at the show itself.

I'll try anything. Several judges have made comment that if she had her tail up and was confident, she would be placing better.

1. Spell the dog -no shows for a few months.

2. Take the dog to some form of training - eg. obedience and agility where you an carry on like a pork chop (whilst not being judged) and work on getting her to perform for a big reward. I know a couple of show handlers who reckon some dog sports training worked wonders on their dogs enthusiasm in the show ring. Nothing very self rewarding for dogs about gaiting and stacking - we have to make it rewarding for them. Sometimes a break for dog and handler can bring renewed sparkle in the ring

Does she like toys?

Are you getting stressed about her performance and reinforcing the lack of confidence?

Edited by poodlefan

To be honest, there is no 1 perfect cure and there is nothing instant to fix it.

I've had my successes getting dogs who hated to show, to appear like they liked it. Some had an obvious reason for hating showing (a huge scare) and others just never got to learn that it was great.

You will need to work on getting the dog to relax first and foremost. Don't push showing, initially you are working on having them calm and responsive. Then introduce games inside and outside the ring, it maybe you teach a funny turn on the up and back which makes you giggle or you play a toss the toy game before going in.

I do recommend for dogs needing confidence (but do not have a identifiable fear) to give Larch which is a Bach Flower essence or Confid which is a Australian Bush Flower essence. You can give both if you want to. It seems to make them bolder, which I reinforce with confidence building excercises - teaching a "trick" or behaviour, and carefully controlled outings.

1. Spell the dog -no shows for a few months.

2. Take the dog to some form of training - eg. obedience and agility where you an carry on like a pork chop (whilst not being judged) and work on getting her to perform for a big reward. I know a couple of show handlers who reckon some dog sports training worked wonders on their dogs enthusiasm in the show ring. Nothing very self rewarding for dogs about gaiting and stacking - we have to make it rewarding for them. Sometimes a break for dog and handler can bring renewed sparkle in the ring

Does she like toys?

Are you getting stressed about her performance and reinforcing the lack of confidence?

In Darwin there are generally no more than 2 shows a month (except for in July/August), usually only once a month. I am planning on spelling her from around December for a few months for a litter *fingers crossed*.

Toys.... she's not overly toy focussed. She does play at home, but in the ring there is no interest. She is not even food motivated in the ring.

I must admit I am getting a bit stressed about it. :laugh: Starting to get me down a bit. She's a lovely little dog and deserves her title. Others around the ring have all said the same. As soon as she gets it I will retire her from the ring completely, because I know she's not keen.

Other sports is something I haven't touched on yet. I had taken her to 2 obedience classes as a younger puppy, however I didn't agree with the method of teaching so didn't pursue it further.

Because of the wet season fast approaching, the sports are winding down for the year. I'll have to check some schedules and training again, but I think competition may be over until March next year.

What's she like out in public generally? Do you get out and about in crowded public places like the markets? They are great training environments.

I would spell the dog immediately. You only compound the problem by continuing to stress both of you if things aren't going well.

Look to the dog's temperament and her relationship with you. Building her confidence in you will be the key.

Edited by poodlefan

Not sure what you have up there but my first port of call would be a doggy chiro /bowen.I always prefer to make sure bodily they can do the activities asked for before attempting to overload them with activities that may have the same result

I see to many dogs dragged around the ring or unhappy looking because they are sore /out & the likes

In Darwin there are generally no more than 2 shows a month (except for in July/August), usually only once a month. I am planning on spelling her from around December for a few months for a litter *fingers crossed*.

Toys.... she's not overly toy focussed. She does play at home, but in the ring there is no interest. She is not even food motivated in the ring.

I must admit I am getting a bit stressed about it. :laugh: Starting to get me down a bit. She's a lovely little dog and deserves her title. Others around the ring have all said the same. As soon as she gets it I will retire her from the ring completely, because I know she's not keen.

Other sports is something I haven't touched on yet. I had taken her to 2 obedience classes as a younger puppy, however I didn't agree with the method of teaching so didn't pursue it further.

Because of the wet season fast approaching, the sports are winding down for the year. I'll have to check some schedules and training again, but I think competition may be over until March next year.

She isn't interested in the toys or food in the ring because she is not relaxed. Her tension is feeding off yours.

You don't necessarily have to compete in other sports, but training her to sit or jump over a bar will help build her confidence in you and her surrounds.

You can teach her at home or at the park to little things. May be to do a special turn, or to spin. Choose a trick and teach it and have some fun :p

As well as teaching her new tricks, you need to learn how to control your nerves so the dog doesn't react to your tension. Both of you need to be relaxed and have some fun.

Not sure what you have up there but my first port of call would be a doggy chiro /bowen.I always prefer to make sure bodily they can do the activities asked for before attempting to overload them with activities that may have the same result

I see to many dogs dragged around the ring or unhappy looking because they are sore /out & the likes

Her breeder has suggested that her back may be out, and asked about her tail carriage at home. It's up at home 95% of the time, so we have ruled out a chiro issue.

She isn't interested in the toys or food in the ring because she is not relaxed. Her tension is feeding off yours.

You don't necessarily have to compete in other sports, but training her to sit or jump over a bar will help build her confidence in you and her surrounds.

You can teach her at home or at the park to little things. May be to do a special turn, or to spin. Choose a trick and teach it and have some fun :p

As well as teaching her new tricks, you need to learn how to control your nerves so the dog doesn't react to your tension. Both of you need to be relaxed and have some fun.

I really do need to get her out and about a bit more with the public. She's not an out there dog when she's not in her own environment, so she likely needs to develop that a bit more which should help.

Her breeder has suggested that her back may be out, and asked about her tail carriage at home. It's up at home 95% of the time, so we have ruled out a chiro issue.

I wouldn't rule it out if you have one up there.

Tail carriage doesn't mean her back either.

There are 2 muscles either side of the tail that if out will affect the tail carriage & create a lazy tail

I had an young Afghan dog who decided the ring wasn't fun anymore. I would take him to the local shopping centre, sit with him and watch the passing people then just to prove I was crazy I would trot him up and down the street playing with him, talking to him in an excited voice and giving him treats, letting him jump around and be silly. When he was totelly nuts, took a couple of weeks, then I slowly calmed him down again. Didn't show for a few months and his first show back I played with him in the ring (Judge thought I was mad lol). After a few more shows he was going great again. Good luck, nothing worse than a dog not giving his best for you.

I'd take her along to shows but not show her. When the rings are free, take her in and play lots of games with her and make it very exiting. After a while, introduce a show like setting. Have a friend be the judge and go through the motions making lots of fun and a huge fuss when she has her tail up and is happy.

It's a slow process but it's worked for me in the past. It took about 2 months before the dog was very happy to be in the ring again. It did work though