What Do You Feed Your Dogs?

whitka

Completely raw (prey & prey model) fed here...to both ferrets and dogs.

I haven't had to worm for years (I have a faecal test done once a year, which has always comes back clear).

what about heart worm?

I don't live in a heartworm area.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting thread - thank you

Our two 9 month old Springers had very dry skin and were very itchy when we first got them, the were on Proplan as recommended by the breeder. So for a while they were on a very limited diet of Lamb and Roo plus turkey necks and lamb flaps then we introduced beef back in and they seem to be ok. I am going to try introducing chicken back in and see what happens to thier skin.

Of course it may not be the food that made them itchy it could have been enviromental - we had already removed wool rugs in case it was that. Or it could be something they come into contact on walks. But they are not scratching at the moment, it will be interesting to see how they go Jan/Feb time as that was when we got them at 8 wks old.

They get one of the following in the morning and in the evening

Canine country BARF 1/2 1kg roll (250g each) mixed with beef mince from the pets shop and veggies (usually pumpkin, sweet potatoe and broccoli or spinach)

Beef mince with veggies as above plus a tin of sardines - each

turkey necks - 2 or 3 depending on the size

roo tail

beef brisket bones

sometimes they have a small amount of beef mince and veggies as well with thier bone meal

they have raw carrots or a head of broccoli most days too

They have beautiful coats and loads of energy, hmmm maybe I should change their diet LOL

oh and they poo once a day, nice and firm, sometime on the dry side AND given half a chance the little buggers eat it even with pumpkin and pineapple added to their food ! !

I would love some ideas for veggies to add for a bit of variety

:rofl: Karen

We feed our 16 week old DDB puppy raw food (prey / Tom Lonsdale model) since we brought him home. He loves it and completely thrives in it. We try to vary the meat source as much as possible but our "main" diet is chicken.

We also give him some yoghurt, whole eggs, some table scraps of rice / vegies / fruit.

- Cath

Completely raw (prey & prey model) fed here...to both ferrets and dogs.

I haven't had to worm for years (I have a faecal test done once a year, which has always comes back clear).

what about heart worm?

I don't live in a heartworm area.

I was under the impression that heartworm is now in Southern Victoria and Southern SA and so everyone in mainland Australia should do heartworm prevention. :laugh:

We've just started changing Akira's food. She's now on Pro Plan Puppy Chicken and Rice. Decided to leave her on puppy for a little while longer because while she's pretty much at adult height, she's still growing and her muscles can probably use the extra protein.

• 4 weeks later...

Good gosh...I want to your pet! ;)

good topic! I've often wondered what others feed their dogs.

My girl Babe had chicken necks or chicken mince morning & night, with cooked veges and/or fruit. Veges include mashed pumpkin, beetroot (fresh not tinned), brussel sprouts, avocado, spinach, or bok choy, and fruit is either apples or melon. Whatever is in season she gets so it varies from time to time.

A couple of times a week she also gets a soft cooked egg and once a month she has a liver or a heart.

Every night she has two crushed brazil nuts and 3 ml of Omega 3,6 & 9 oil on her food along with her vit C, chelated zinc and another vitamin powder (she gets these last three in the morning too).

I'm looking forward to seeing others menus.

Cheers!

Lis :D