Would You Warn Breeders?

HeavyPaws

However, they got a dog anyway and he is beautifully loved and cared for even though they really couldnt afford the dog so you just dont know. You could be causing the dog to miss out on a fantastic home. (likely not but you just dont know).

lanabanana, I understand what you are saying which is true of a lot of people who are struggling financially..............but these people, according to the OP, have clearly said they cannot afford to even feed the dog properly ,let alone vaccinate it or desex it. With these type of people, the pup will be a nine day wonder and once that puppy wonder has worn off......the dog will be ignored for the rest of its life.......if not dumped in the mean time.

I agree with most posts, but have a been in my bonnet about quality food. There seems to be more and more of a push to feed very expensive food, and if you don't, you're not a good owner.

When I was a kid, dogs ate PAL. They lived good lives. A raw diet is very healthy and cheap. I would rather a pup go to a home where it was fed PAL and loved, than a home where it was fed EP Holistic and spent its days locked up in the yard.

I agree with Megan.

And sadly i do know of dogs who get Royal canin breed specific food or EP holistic etc who only get walked once a week (if the weather is good and the owner isn't too busy) and barely get any interaction at home.

My pup gets PAL dog food but she also gets lots of raw- bones, lamp flaps, eggs, sardines etc

She spends almost 24 hrs a day with me, gets walked/socialsed at least 3 times a day, gets play and training numerous times during the day. Who do you think a dog would prefer to live with?

ETA: i think you should notify the breeders, especially if they intend to lie to them :eek:

If I was a breeder and someone was honest with me and said, look i don't have a lot of money but i'd really like a dog and i think i could provide it with love, exercise, training and (basic) food and health care, I might be willing to consider them, on the condition that if they ran into any probs, i would be the first to know and take the dog back myself for rehoming.

Edited by aussielover

Hard situation.

Someone did this to me when I was purchasing my dogs, I knew a lady who purchased a puppy from a previous litter this breeder had. And because this lady didn't like me she told the breeder I wouldn't be able to look after the dogs etc etc the breeder was very close in not giving me my dogs luckily for me I had paid my deposit and ensured the breeder they would be looked after. And the lady that didn't like me was probably right.... it wasn't a good time to buy the dogs I just finished school was almost homeless and had no job. But I did everything I could to take care of them they have had nothing but the best in life and I can honestly say that, they ate before I did. Thankfully now I grew and got myself out of that situation. and I would be so lost without them.

Edited by Miss BeRidgierent

Two of my relatives have made the {bad} decision to buy a puppy. Thanks to the recent puppy milling ads, they've done research and absolutely will NOT buy from anyone but a registered, responsible breeder. That's the only plus in this entire story.

They're set on a particular breed, will not consider anything else. They love the unique look of the breed and won't sway from it. All my suggestions for more energy-suitable dogs were met with big "no, no way, it HAS to be....."

At this point in their lives, I know a puppy wouldn't be the best thing for them.

They've just declared their second bankruptcy and are thinking of selling their house to pay their debts off. They have no money at all, I've loaned them $2000 just this year so they could pay their bills and eat.

Yet they desperately want a puppy, and when I brought up the money issue, outlining all the costs of a dog, they said they'd just lie to the breeder they chose and make them think they had plenty of money.

The breed they've chosen is fairly cheap, and they've scraped together money to buy the puppy straight out, but they admit freely they won't have the money to desex, vaccinate, go to training or buy reasonable food.

My question is.

If you knew someone who would be an absolutely horrible choice for a puppy, who was planning on lying to a breeder regarding their level of ability to care for a puppy, would you call/email the breeders of that breed and let them know not to sell to the people of that name?

Or is it one of those things you just shrug and say "Well, nothing I can do" and let them and the puppy suffer for their lie?

Wow, what a dilemma.

I think I would be more forceful in objecting to the fact that the dog will be at great risk without vaccinations. Also, the fact that having a dog will limit their potential choice of rental home as many will not rent to people with pets.

If they have no money, how are they able to buy the pup anyway?

Edited by ~Anne~

I would appreciate an email or heads up about it.

I have notified people before that I personally wouldn't rehome to a certain person (these were fosters and rescues) sometimes I could not tell them why I would just say I wouldn't and the person knew me well enough that there would be a good reason.

they said they'd just lie to the breeder they chose and make them think they had plenty of money.

The kind of people who'd lie to get what they want (at the animal's expense) are the kind of people breeders deserve to be warned about.

I wouldn't hesitate to give that warning.

if i was a breeder i would like to know .

if they say they cant afford yearly vaccations then thats a joke . then maybe there not prepared to care for the dog /puppy .

i was struggling with money with my dogs and i managed it is only $50 to $80 a year for a vacc depending on vets and $60 a month for flea products and food if they go fresh meat there looking at $30 a week now i was really struggling and managed to get my dogs vacc and i got my male desexed so i cant understand why they can't outlay a small fee everyyear for 1 dog when i did it for three dogs at the time .

so i would at least warn breeders do dont need to let breeders know your name ethier .

I would definitely be telling the breeder.

The fact if someone has to lie to obtain a puppy I don't agree with it at all. Unfortunately I believe it happens a lot thats why I'm all for full checks. It's a long term commitment, what will happen if the dog gets incredibly ill? are they going to forget about it? raises way too many questions IMO.

When I bought my home a year ago, I knew we couldn't afford a pup straight away, I waited over a year till everything was sorted and was sure I could afford it. Why can't people have the same discipline? If you cannot afford a pup forget your needs and wants this pup has more needs than you do.

As I said earlier, I would prefer to know if people wanting to purchase a pup could not manage to look after it financially. The upkeep of vaccinations is not required though, in fact a dog only requires its puppy shots and a booster 12 mths later and never again for the duration of its life so therefore money spent on yearly shots are money wasted and only serve to affect a dog's health by compromising its immune system. Anyone wanting to obtain a dog should be able to feed it adequately, be able to afford worming treatment, flea treatment, shampoo, etc etc and feeding it adequately.

Edited by Moselle