Lets Talk About Recall

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen the conditioned recall work with a dog that had 6 or 7 years of ignoring recalls behind him and a very strong prey drive. I'm told that when recalled over a short distance he will literally drop a lizard he's caught to whirl and recall. It didn't work so well when he was over a hundred metres away with a dead rabbit, but hey, it was a bit of a leap from dropping a lizard at the other end of the backyard.

Just be aware that some dogs need more time and generalising than others. We spend a lot of time maintaining a good recall with our older dog and hardly any time on it with our younger dog. Our older dog's recall deteriorates fast if it's not practised. So when we go out with them we usually take recall treats and practise. It was good after about 12 months, but it does keep improving as time goes on, and he's 2 1/2, now. The other dog we were lazy with because he's never shown any interest in leaving us. He still has a recall that we practise, but we skipped long lines with him, and don't practise as much.

The hardest bit is knowing when not to recall, I think. We found distance and obstacles to be the main pitfalls. It was fine if we had one or the other, but if we had both it was risky. Our older dog is known for blowing off recalls when steep slopes or water channels are in his path. Towards the end of an outing he gets tired and loses momentum tackling them.

After a lot of work, my Dally has a really good recall (even off kangaroos) but there is still the odd occasion when it's a "do I or don't I call him" - if it's appropriate I ask him to sit at a distance instead - he gets heavily rewarded. If he's incredibly tempted it's a good compromise. We practice this a lot as well.

ETA: Zig was KING of the doggy equivalent of The Finger too :rofl:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Hrmm. Does anyone else have big problems with long lines tangling? Every time I take my big boy out on the long line he's managed to tangle it around his leg within 10 seconds. I find it really hard to practice recalls with it on him :rofl:

Hrmm. Does anyone else have big problems with long lines tangling? Every time I take my big boy out on the long line he's managed to tangle it around his leg within 10 seconds. I find it really hard to practice recalls with it on him :rofl:

Use a cheap car harness, or better yet, a good tracking harness. A good, soft tracking leash is essential. Believe it or not, he will learn to avoid tangles and so will you, it just takes a bit of practise and learning when to give it a bit of a tug or a flick to stop them happening.

Hrmm. Does anyone else have big problems with long lines tangling? Every time I take my big boy out on the long line he's managed to tangle it around his leg within 10 seconds. I find it really hard to practice recalls with it on him :thumbsup:

Use a cheap car harness, or better yet, a good tracking harness. A good, soft tracking leash is essential. Believe it or not, he will learn to avoid tangles and so will you, it just takes a bit of practise and learning when to give it a bit of a tug or a flick to stop them happening.

Thanks, don't know why I didn't think of using a harness :rofl: I'm not convinced he will learn to avoid tangles though, he's not the brightest crayon in the box :thumbsup: I think that will be my job.

I've been using a front-attaching harness on Tango so when he's on the long line he does tend to get the odd wedgie - poor love LMAO but I managed to work out most of the tangling issues pretty quickly - and so did he. Even Pepper worked out how to leap over or duck under his lead while she's running and carrying on around us.

Pepper is completely rock solid on recall, I can call her away from anything in the world - and I have absolutely no idea why - she has never been formally trained. I wish I knew how it happened so I could do it to the others LOL

:rofl:

So far , so good! I've done a few training sessions with Spence and he think it's the best thing ever! Me saying "report!" and then shoving a treat in his gob.

When I was trying to think of a special recall word last night, I was seriously considering using "Accio Spencer!" :(

So far , so good! I've done a few training sessions with Spence and he think it's the best thing ever! Me saying "report!" and then shoving a treat in his gob.

When I was trying to think of a special recall word last night, I was seriously considering using "Accio Spencer!" :(

i love that!

I've been using a front-attaching harness on Tango so when he's on the long line he does tend to get the odd wedgie - poor love LMAO

Ooohhh, ouch! :( Does it not have a ring on the back you could clip the leash to?

LOL No not this one Aiden. I've been looking around for some other models :( But I do keep an eye on him and drop my hand close to the ground as soon as I notice it LOL Poor dude.