Herding Talk Thread

It has only been the last 6 months that I have been able to access stock on a semi-regular basis. For 8 years I have grabbed any opportunity I can and got by. Jazz gained her started title at just over 12 months. She is now 4.5 and only JUST looking ready to enter intermediate due to that. I worked out by the time she had gained her started title that her test and trial runs outnumbered her training runs on sheep, I was just lucky she wasn't my first dog so I had been able to handle her around the course and put myself in the right place to get the stock where I wanted them.

Unfortunately at the moment there is no one with their own stock and the skills to train people and we can only impose on stock and property owners every so often, especially as they don't actually herd themselves. And the few of us with skills are not in a position to buy a property just to run herding classes. I would love nothing more than some acreage and stock, but it is just not going to happen any time in the near future.

I believe the club is trying to work on it but it takes a very generous property owner to allow 20 people to come wandering in to their property every weekend. Not to mention somewhere that actually has suitable facilities. I know of several people that have said they would allow it but they basically have 20 to 50 acre fenced paddocks so then not only is it asking for permission to use their place every weekend but also to re fence it and adapt it to our needs.

Unfortunately we are not lucky like NSW to have canine control grounds that are suitable to run stock on for clubs to use.

ETA: There is a small group of people that have got together and purchased stock to train themselves. They are working together and helping each other and learning from their own mistakes, it isn't ideal but shows where there is a will there is a way.

Edited by piper

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for that info piper, I've registered interest in the two training days. I'm going to sort my dogs

SA membership this week and do instinct tests Saturday, I'm positive Leo will pass as he has already been working on stock. We need to have some sort of DOL identifier so we can spot each other easily :laugh:

I'm so Big Kev :thumbsup:

rofl1.gif RJ I have the email from Piper - well I did but I skimmed it because Kenz is out of action and I don't have my laptop functioning at the moment to be able to go back and check. I thought if there was an instinct test this weekend and I was intending on heading out to SACA this weekend for another reason I might as well coincide the two and come and watch the herding for a bit. thumbsup1.gif

Thanks for that info piper, I've registered interest in the two training days. I'm going to sort my dogs

SA membership this week and do instinct tests Saturday, I'm positive Leo will pass as he has already been working on stock. We need to have some sort of DOL identifier so we can spot each other easily :laugh:

I'm so Big Kev :thumbsup:

I'll be 1 of the judges on Saturday, that should make it easier for you. LOL I will probably by doing some work with Jazz in between beginner runs as well as we are wanting to acclimatise the sheep to a couple of different trial like situations that they dont always cope well with when transported.

So it is quite likely you will see me running from training, to working a dog, to doing paper work to judging!

As for forwarding - please feel free to share with anyone interested :)

For training go with what you are comfortable with and works. I have just gone to a riding crop and am loving it, so much nicer to hold, much more balanced. I used to just go an pick up a stick before I went in the ring, lol. Mostly these days I hold the riding crop out of habit. Jazz doesn't really need it.

Going to PM you about the DogsSA rego stuff, something to be aware of.

Guest Clover

Not much to anything going on in Vic re: training at the moment either :(. I have a very keen and naturally talanted youngster who i want to put to work.

rofl1.gif RJ I have the email from Piper - well I did but I skimmed it because Kenz is out of action and I don't have my laptop functioning at the moment to be able to go back and check. I thought if there was an instinct test this weekend and I was intending on heading out to SACA this weekend for another reason I might as well coincide the two and come and watch the herding for a bit. thumbsup1.gif

Am hoping to head out as well.

Everyone should be aware though, that the Autumn International is on as well and is drawing a very large number of entries. There are over 200 dogs in group 5 alone! - A large number for recent times. There are two shows running for Group 5 on Sat - so there will be people around all day. Parking will be interesting. When there are high numbers, there are cars everywhere - even all the way over at the herding rings.

I also spoke to Mel today - and whilst the email says "training and come and try day" for this Saturday - Mel tells me it is strictly for dogs that have had no exposure to the stock before, that are wanting to try in the morning and do the instinct test in the afternoon.

Not sure if anyone else can clarify this, as the original email says something different to what Mel has said. I'm heading out anyway, to watch some of the international - but would like to give Rommy a run.

I cant help clarify - I only know what the email says. My suggestion would be if you are there anyway come on over and see how we are going time and number wise. My understanding is it was more a beginners day for dogs still working in a smaller space and not yet up to obstacles with a focus on the Come and Try. At least that is the impression I got but I am not on committee so was not part of the discussions around it and just sent the info out exactly as it was sent to me.

I'm guessing the context is also for dogs that don't have titles (I hope). I've done some work at home, but want to start officially and you have to start at the bottom to get the instinct test done. What about the training days for you guys who aren't sure about Saturday? I've expressed interest in both days so I'll be there.

Registering for what? I'm waiting for rego and membership to be emailed through from the koolie club so I can register mine as a koolie tomorrow. Do we have to register for the instinct test before the day? I'll do it tomorrow while I'm down there if so. I just phoned to put my name down for the training days.