Herding Talk Thread

It is highly addictive PME, I totally get where you are coming from.

I got a random phone call yesterday from someone who had been given my number by someone they had stumbled upon when trying desperately to find someone with a working dog to move some sheep for them. Turns out they were a while 2km away from me. The description of the sheep was terrible - rogue sheep barging through fences, unable to be caught. Been roaming for months. Many many many hours have been spent trying to catch them, could I help. Well, yes I can give that a go!

So this morning I headed up there expecting the worst and had them in the pen in 15 minutes and that included the time to walk down and look around and work out where we needed to go. Oh and getting them in the pen once, putting the dog in the wrong spot and causing them to exit the pen and take off while I headed to the gate. They were very light, not worked by dogs and very wary of humans after all the chasing but once they realised they could not escape and would continually be stopped and turned back they were very easy to move. I was thrilled that Jazz was working nicely off balance and holding her lines really well when asked and was not fighting me to head them off all the time but quick to do so when sent. She had 1 silly moment early on but other than that she was so good.

Anyway, I think the people thought I was some mad woman to jump at the chance to do this and be happy to accept their thanks and a bottle of wine and box of chocolates for my time. And then to tell them that if the person doesn't pick them up this weekend just let them back out in the paddock and give me another call when they know when the new owner would be there. Hard to explain to someone that doesn't get it that I will take any opportunity to work my dog as I love watching her work and it makes her so happy.

ETA: I had to laugh, the wife said she saw me and my 1 dog and thought there was no way 1 person and 1 dog would be able to get those sheep in and that they would be wasting more hours out there. LOL

Edited by piper

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is highly addictive PME, I totally get where you are coming from.

I got a random phone call yesterday from someone who had been given my number by someone they had stumbled upon when trying desperately to find someone with a working dog to move some sheep for them. Turns out they were a while 2km away from me. The description of the sheep was terrible - rogue sheep barging through fences, unable to be caught. Been roaming for months. Many many many hours have been spent trying to catch them, could I help. Well, yes I can give that a go!

So this morning I headed up there expecting the worst and had them in the pen in 15 minutes and that included the time to walk down and look around and work out where we needed to go. Oh and getting them in the pen once, putting the dog in the wrong spot and causing them to exit the pen and take off while I headed to the gate. They were very light, not worked by dogs and very wary of humans after all the chasing but once they realised they could not escape and would continually be stopped and turned back they were very easy to move. I was thrilled that Jazz was working nicely off balance and holding her lines really well when asked and was not fighting me to head them off all the time but quick to do so when sent. She had 1 silly moment early on but other than that she was so good.

Anyway, I think the people thought I was some mad woman to jump at the chance to do this and be happy to accept their thanks and a bottle of wine and box of chocolates for my time. And then to tell them that if the person doesn't pick them up this weekend just let them back out in the paddock and give me another call when they know when the new owner would be there. Hard to explain to someone that doesn't get it that I will take any opportunity to work my dog as I love watching her work and it makes her so happy.

ETA: I had to laugh, the wife said she saw me and my 1 dog and thought there was no way 1 person and 1 dog would be able to get those sheep in and that they would be wasting more hours out there. LOL

That is brilliant Piper! :thumbsup:

Home from rogue dorper removal take 2. I have never been prouder of Jazz than I am today.

By the time we got there, there was only out - the ram. Jazz lacks strength, it is out biggest problem so the thought of firstly separating the ram off from the alpacas and then moving it across 3 paddocks was scary. I did not think she would do it. Not only did she do it, she did it amazingly and never lost her head. And when we got him to the pen and he did not want to go in and started putting his head down and putting pressure back on her she went straight in and at his nose - 3 snaps of the teeth just in front of his nose to turn him and then a quick shot at his heels to get him moving straight into the pen and up the ramp onto the trailer.

Real work is so much more satisfying than a trial :)

What I discovered about the alpacas is they seem to work by bluff. They one tearing in, head down, making noises then stop dead and bounce up and down. And then run back to the flock.

When we train had some alpacas in the paddock at 1 stage and they got used to the dogs and when you sent the dog into the paddock they would just move out of the way, so I think she is used to ignoring them. I think if she had given ground or been startled by their behaviour they may have continued/escalated but as she basically side stepped them, ignored them and carried on they backed right down. It took 2 or 3 quick attempts to get her between the alpacas and the ram and as soon as she had done that they dropped back.

On Saturday, as we approached the pen, the male alpaca actually jumped the fence to charge at her and then when that failed ran back to the sheep and then eventually jumped the fence back out of the paddock again. We were ready to call it off both days if they created a problem and on Saturday they did try and catch them and put them in the stable but weren't having any luck. A biscuit of lucerne kept them out of the ay until we were nearly at the pen.

Nice work piper. Must be very satisfying :-)

The one time Cash and I tried to help out on a "real" job, it did not go quite so well! A friend of a friend had a handful of rogue sheep on his hobby farm that they couldn't catch. I sent Cash around the sheep, they took off and the whole lot of them disappeared over the nearest hill! We found them by following the sound of Cash barking - he had them cornered on the edge of a 3 metre drop off and they were not moving. Ended up roping them and basically dragging them to where they needed to go. Must say though, we'd never have got near the sheep if it wasn't for Cash, so I guess he was somewhat useful...

Nice work piper. Must be very satisfying :-)

The one time Cash and I tried to help out on a "real" job, it did not go quite so well! A friend of a friend had a handful of rogue sheep on his hobby farm that they couldn't catch. I sent Cash around the sheep, they took off and the whole lot of them disappeared over the nearest hill! We found them by following the sound of Cash barking - he had them cornered on the edge of a 3 metre drop off and they were not moving. Ended up roping them and basically dragging them to where they needed to go. Must say though, we'd never have got near the sheep if it wasn't for Cash, so I guess he was somewhat useful...

Oh dear :(

Well that saga will have another chapter as apparently there are more. They weren't sure on exact numbers and apparently the whole mob was not together last weekend. Once the weather breaks and we have a temp more reasonable we will make another attempt to find those that have taken refuge in the gully. I have suggested they get some good interesting feed and start putting it out each morning and evening in the pen to see if they will start to come out for food.

• 2 months later...

We've started!!!

Kenzie and Hamish both got tehir first pass in HT today! Can't wait to work Hamish in PT and then Started, I think he sort of wondered today why he had to leave the sheep so early! Whereas Kenz seemed to think "great, I did it quickly and now it's done, let's have a treat"!!! Very happy our herding career has begun!!

We've started!!!

Kenzie and Hamish both got tehir first pass in HT today! Can't wait to work Hamish in PT and then Started, I think he sort of wondered today why he had to leave the sheep so early! Whereas Kenz seemed to think "great, I did it quickly and now it's done, let's have a treat"!!! Very happy our herding career has begun!!

Well done! Onwards and upwards :)

Cash and I got our Advanced A title on Sat. Long hard road, but well worth it.

Huge congrats PME and SM :thumbsup:

And I was privileged enough to see Cash's title run on sat. Awesome work SM

Seven and I had a couple of very average and untidy runs on Sat, but still passes, I am very rusty LOL. And then we managed to pull one out of the bag with a lovely class winning run on Sunday.

Seven was such a good girl. I am very proud of her achieving her HSAs title on Sunday. 3 herding titles in 9 months and she just turned 2 a week ago.

Photo by Karen Edwards

post-27202-0-01972800-1393801313_thumb.jpg

Seven and I had a couple of very average and untidy runs on Sat, but still passes, I am very rusty LOL. And then we managed to pull one out of the bag with a lovely class winning run on Sunday.

Seven was such a good girl. I am very proud of her achieving her HSAs title on Sunday. 3 herding titles in 9 months and she just turned 2 a week ago.

You did great! And Seven is such a clever girl. Well done on your class win :thumbsup: I know it's the pass card we are after, but it's nice to get a ribbon too.

Lots of brags from the first Vic trial of the year - well done everyone!! Especially well done on advanced for Cash, a huge achievement :)

Thanks piper, I am so stoked. Never thought we'd get this far. Still grinning!

Lots of brags from the first Vic trial of the year - well done everyone!! Especially well done on advanced for Cash, a huge achievement :)

I bet.

First trial of the year for us this year is a BIG 1 - Border Collie nationals. Jazz in entered in Advanced A ducks, Started B ducks and Inter A Sheep. I was going to enter her into B sheep but at the point entries closed I decided it had been way too long between training sessions for me to send her out in the big paddock at an unknown venue and no idea what the stock will be like. Trained her on the weekend on some non dog broke lambs and she did an awesome job and I am now kicking myself for not entering B sheep as well.

We need 1 pass for our advanced title on ducks, fingers crosse we will bring it up at the Nationals.

I will also have Cinna in PT (maybe - might scratch, see what happens) and handling Jazz's daughter from her first litter in her first trial - Started A sheep only.

On top o that, agility is on the same day so if anyone visits KCC park, I will be the crazy 1 running from 1 side of the grounds to the other and trying to make sure i have the right dog in the right place at the right time! LOL

I bet.

First trial of the year for us this year is a BIG 1 - Border Collie nationals. Jazz in entered in Advanced A ducks, Started B ducks and Inter A Sheep. I was going to enter her into B sheep but at the point entries closed I decided it had been way too long between training sessions for me to send her out in the big paddock at an unknown venue and no idea what the stock will be like. Trained her on the weekend on some non dog broke lambs and she did an awesome job and I am now kicking myself for not entering B sheep as well.

We need 1 pass for our advanced title on ducks, fingers crosse we will bring it up at the Nationals.

I will also have Cinna in PT (maybe - might scratch, see what happens) and handling Jazz's daughter from her first litter in her first trial - Started A sheep only.

On top o that, agility is on the same day so if anyone visits KCC park, I will be the crazy 1 running from 1 side of the grounds to the other and trying to make sure i have the right dog in the right place at the right time! LOL

Yell out if you need help with dog wrangling as I only have Hamish entered in 2 HT runs, otherwise I'm hoping to help out with stock handling and just watch the goings on. So probably will be able to be of some (minor, and non-experienced) assistance if needed!

Hi there, does anyone know the closest herding classes to Canberra?

I bet.

Yell out if you need help with dog wrangling as I only have Hamish entered in 2 HT runs, otherwise I'm hoping to help out with stock handling and just watch the goings on. So probably will be able to be of some (minor, and non-experienced) assistance if needed!

Good luck piper. Good luck keeping up too :laugh: I'm entered in the open trial the Wednesday before the Nationals.

Hi there, does anyone know the closest herding classes to Canberra?

Sorry, can't help with Canberra. Hopefully someone else will come in with ideas.