Tell Me What Can Go Wrong In The Ring Iyo.

pixie_meg

Two things to remember - If your dog doesn't shit in the ring, and you don't fall over, it's been a great day!!

or forgetting your belt and you're running around the ring holding your pants in one and the dog in the other... stacking is made some much more fun when this happens :D

Forgetting your dogs age - or the dogs you are handling age... :)

taking in the wrong dog in the wrong breed...

leaving the dog at home - don't go there :D

I have that artile printed out somewhere :D

PM... Just do it!!!! you'll enjoy it in no time!!!

IMO the most important thing to remember is that at the end of the day you are going home with the best dog in the world!

Hell I was once told by a Judge that I made a better post than a handler much to my amusement and everyone else in earshot. :rolleyes:

at a ribbon show one day, i decided to enter adult handler stakes.. she asked for a reverse triange.

so off i toddle thinking HOW THE HELL am i gonna manage this?

got to turning point and thought oops, not that way, twisted around and ducked and bobbed and managed to get him on the right side of the judge again.

got back and the judge said wow, that has to be the most graceful one ive ever seen. seems she was gushing! she really did like my handling :thumbsup:

she awarded me first place out of a very very large group, all cos of something i didnt know what to do, nor how to recreate.

It was a fluke!

i still remember that, but im sure another judge would have seen past my blunder.

so when i show the dogs, i just try to listen hard to what the judge wants, I have confidence in my dog, and i used to try to get him stacked correctlly, until a judge said *leave your dog to do it naturally, it does look better*.

now i go in with more confidence in my dog, and when you got that, you really cant stuff it up too badly.

if the judge likes your dog, he likes it. If he doesnt like it, he doesnt like it and not much you can do will change that.

If you got a stickler for tail set, and yours is low, he will know without you trying to make it look higher.

PixieMeg I'm a bit like you - I'm not a perfectionist but I do use the accumulation of knowledge and prior preparation to "calm" myself. Once I'm in the ring I"m fine - its a bit like public speaking for me.

If you have a good idea about what you need to do before you enter the ring, I find that helpful. I watch how the judge is judging dogs - stack first then run, or a lap then stack - the Afghans will be a template for you.

I took some handling lessons and again I found that very helpful. I kept at them for some time after I entered the ring and I still ask for and receive helpful advice from friendly fellow exhibitors (and the odd judge :thumbsup: )

But as I advised a friend who's new to the ring, the best practice for showing IS showing. I'd work on twice a month every month so that you and Oberon learn your roles as a show team. Practice, the accumulation of knowledge and helpful critiques will get you there.

I don't know about others but your first show dog is a learning curve. I've been blessed by a calm honest dog who tries every time he's shown. Once I learn more about getting the best from him (and I'm still learning) I'll be able to do justice to him everytime he's shown.

PixieMeg I'm a bit like you - I'm not a perfectionist but I do use the accumulation of knowledge and prior preparation to "calm" myself. Once I'm in the ring I"m fine - its a bit like public speaking for me.

If you have a good idea about what you need to do before you enter the ring, I find that helpful. I watch how the judge is judging dogs - stack first then run, or a lap then stack - the Afghans will be a template for you.

I took some handling lessons and again I found that very helpful. I kept at them for some time after I entered the ring and I still ask for and receive helpful advice from friendly fellow exhibitors (and the odd judge :cheer: )

But as I advised a friend who's new to the ring, the best practice for showing IS showing. I'd work on twice a month every month so that you and Oberon learn your roles as a show team. Practice, the accumulation of knowledge and helpful critiques will get you there.

I don't know about others but your first show dog is a learning curve. I've been blessed by a calm honest dog who tries every time he's shown. Once I learn more about getting the best from him (and I'm still learning) I'll be able to do justice to him everytime he's shown.

Not necessarily! Some Judges use the Afghans to work out what they want to do in the ring. :(

There have been a few times when I have been first in and ended up doing an awkward triangle or out and back because the Judge hadn't worked out their position in the ring. They then changed what they wanted exhibitors to do or changed their position in the ring.

Being first breed in can be soo much fun. :)

Just keep in mind that it's only a dog show. In the grand scheme of life, a not very important event.

Have fun, enjoy your beautifully groomed dog, show him off to anyone who'll take notice and let him have a great day out.