Black Hawk Holistic

Guest belgian.blue

Actually the amount of BH you are feeding him is not enough to maintain him over winter.

Unless you are prepared to feed him a substantially increased ration or add extra calories by way of added fats etc your Pointer will continue to drop condition over the colder months unless he is rugged or inside. He is simply burning off too much keeping warm no matter what brand you feed. He is cold.

I appreciate your suggestions but I am not a clueless dog owner, like many who appear on this forum. He is seen by my friend weekly, who is a qualified vet nurse [not an actual vet I know] and I am in contact with his breeder and his sires breeder.

I also never said he won't be coated, I just said that he chewed his other coat and needs to be fixed up or a new one purchased. Probably a new coat seeing as there are some sales on at the moment.

Now back to the tread topic of Black Hawk Holistic :)

Personally I'd be investing in an insulated kennel. It could remove the need for coating all together. A crate will never retain any kind of body heat. You may also wish to consider switching to BH Junior or another kibble with a higher fat content.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest english.ivy

Personally I'd be investing in an insulated kennel. It could remove the need for coating all together. A crate will never retain any kind of body heat. You may also wish to consider switching to BH Junior or another kibble with a higher fat content.

Look at the photos I posted yesterday. :confused:

Look at the photos I posted yesterday. :confused:

I just had a look at that site & WOW....some peoples's imaginations. Yours looks nice & cosy & if they all sleep in there it should be nice & warm. I just added a photo of my guy's day time kennel...what's left of it..that is :laugh:

A quick question, I have a 2 year old Husky, the current kibble I'm feeding him is almost gone and just want to try something different/better quality kibble for a change.

Can anyone vouch for the online/retailers based around Melbourne? (Cheap price/quick delivery) There has probably been some discussion however it has been 100+ pages.

Guest english.ivy

Hope someone in Melbourne can help but as far as I have heard, all the Melbourne retailers have been great. Have you looked on the Black Hawk website for a retailer near you? There are heaps!

I have had my Belgian Shepherd on BH for about 18 months and she's looking perfect. Inside and out.

All the best with your Husky and trying Black Hawk :) Welcome to Dogz Online too!

Haha thank you so much and thanks for the info!

Just to add on the my previous question I did some research and the cheapest website was k9softdogcrates, however pawsforlife is cheaper with the auto-delivery, has anyone tried that yet? It says you can order with that, get 15%+ off and cancel anytime but just wondering if anyone has canceled after the first order.

Thanks.

Edit: happypetsupplies have also said to match any competitors price. Sorry for seeming cheap but who doesn't want to get the best price? :)

Edited by HuskyFever

Guest english.ivy

I was going to go with the auto delivery but the freight to Perth was too much. Not heard of anyone else who uses it sorry.

Black Hawk stockists

eta - IMO it is already a really cheap food! I pay $90 for 20kg.

Edited by english.ivy

Huskyfever - I got mine from "lucky pet". They are in sunshine if you want to pick up instead of pay postage. But I ordered on a Sunday night and got the bag on Tuesday! Price seemed to be the best (when including postage) I could find online.

On another note BH users... Does anyone know a quick weight to cup conversion?! Yes I'm being a bit lazy!! Hamish should be having around 250-300g per day (he's growing so fast!!), but I work in the world of cups not grams!

Has anyone found if they feed the amounts suggested their dogs get fat? My borders get 1 cup and 3/4 cup daily anymore and they get fat ie can't feel their ribs. They don't appear to be hungry at all...If I press quite firmly running my hands down their side I can just feel their ribs

Huskyfever - I got mine from "lucky pet". They are in sunshine if you want to pick up instead of pay postage. But I ordered on a Sunday night and got the bag on Tuesday! Price seemed to be the best (when including postage) I could find online.

On another note BH users... Does anyone know a quick weight to cup conversion?! Yes I'm being a bit lazy!! Hamish should be having around 250-300g per day (he's growing so fast!!), but I work in the world of cups not grams!

Get the kitchen scales out & weigh it :)

Has anyone found if they feed the amounts suggested their dogs get fat? My borders get 1 cup and 3/4 cup daily anymore and they get fat ie can't feel their ribs. They don't appear to be hungry at all...If I press quite firmly running my hands down their side I can just feel their ribs

By Borders...do you mean Border collies???? My Border collies 19 kilos & 23 kilos get one cup a day plus half a turkey neck & they are very active dogs. The amount is only a guide & it depends on what else you are feeding them, so if they are putting on weight & you dont want it, then just cut down the amount & save your money. :)

Thank you Emma, I live close to there, although I already bought a bag I'll be sure to remember this place when my current one runs out. :)

I only seem to have those rice cups and not an actual cup.. Don't seem to have scales anywhere :/

Also with my Husky, just wondering if the size of BH (pellets) is good/bad for a medium sized dog? As he used to eat those larger sized kibble.

Thank you Emma, I live close to there, although I already bought a bag I'll be sure to remember this place when my current one runs out. :)

I only seem to have those rice cups and not an actual cup.. Don't seem to have scales anywhere :/

Also with my Husky, just wondering if the size of BH (pellets) is good/bad for a medium sized dog? As he used to eat those larger sized kibble.

Hi HuskyFever,

I've found smaller kibble better, especially for my older dane/mastiff x girl. I used to feed advance which is quite a large kibble and she'd hoover it and nearly choke. She seems to chew the smaller kibble. My other 2 bigguns seem to chew this well too. Maybe it's self preservation - they could actually choke on it! :D

Any news on how far away a chicken variety may be?

Edited by LOLAFOLATA