Signing Petition For Rspca The Wrong Thing To Do?

Moselle

You may recall not all that long ago a poll was placed on this forum and a fair few posters voted in favour of the RSPCA with their proposed plans to shut down puppy farmers....I was one that thought I was doing the right thing and blindly signed a petition, how could I have been so daft! The thought of the RSPCA being a law unto itself is horrifying! The RSPCA having the power to enter a property and seizing animals there and then.....is something out of a horror show! It is one thing if the animals are indeed neglected or cruelty cases but my belief is that they have enough powers as things stand, give them an inch and they will take a mile and not always for the right reasons.

there are very good reasons that people are distrustful of the RSPCA, and this just proves it

I thought the world of the RSPCA....once upon a time, NOT anymore! Certainly have learnt alot the last few months! Makes me feel like we are living in Gestapo land...very disconcerting for breeders doing the right thing and even though I am not a breeder atm and may never breed

again, I do feel for the ethical and genuine breeders. Even though there have been moments of disagreements here on DOL I must say that I have certainly learnt a great deal pertaining to the subject of dogs, quite a smart bunch of people lurking around here... :clap:

I was sent that petition by email from a prominent member of the Vic dog scene. From what I had read on DOL I emailed back suggesting the whole thing be read through and thought about and declined to sign. I wonder how many others got the email and because of whom it was from, just blindly signed it?

Moselle if that's how you feel please please email or write to your local member before we have to vote. Tell them that the RSPCA has enough powers and that you think they should have an ombudsman just like any other department that is involved in law and order. Tell them that this bill will do the opposite of what people want. IF enough people do someone might listen. As it is we're all muttering amoung ourselves. Everyone needs to get out there and make a noise about all these things or we will end up having to buy our dogs from overseas or puppy farms. We need more education not more laws.

Moselle if that's how you feel please please email or write to your local member before we have to vote. Tell them that the RSPCA has enough powers and that you think they should have an ombudsman just like any other department that is involved in law and order. Tell them that this bill will do the opposite of what people want. IF enough people do someone might listen. As it is we're all muttering amoung ourselves. Everyone needs to get out there and make a noise about all these things or we will end up having to buy our dogs from overseas or puppy farms. We need more education not more laws.

That's so true, Natsu. I suppose muttering amongst ourselves might serve to make others aware as to how we can make a difference and I most certainly will do as you have suggested.

You may recall not all that long ago a poll was placed on this forum and a fair few posters voted in favour of the RSPCA with their proposed plans to shut down puppy farmers....I was one that thought I was doing the right thing and blindly signed a petition, how could I have been so daft! The thought of the RSPCA being a law unto itself is horrifying! The RSPCA having the power to enter a property and seizing animals there and then.....is something out of a horror show! It is one thing if the animals are indeed neglected or cruelty cases but my belief is that they have enough powers as things stand, give them an inch and they will take a mile and not always for the right reasons.

They are, and they do.

While ever Vicdogs speaks for its members and it is backing this - its a lost cause.

Personally I think they shoudl be able to seize animals if necessary....but only if necessary and there need to be proper rules to establish when it is necessary.

I watch all those dog cop programs on TV and I am amazed at the state of some of the animals, yet the animal officers cannot go in and seize them. I think its ridiculous.