How To Raise A Singleton.

puglvr

As the topic suggests I have a singleton pug baby. I've never had a singleton before. he is up on his feet walking around a little. Just started on solids and starting to interact more.

For all those people who have raised singletons what were some of your best hints, tricks and tips for raising a happy well adjusted pup.

I have a singleton pup at the moment. I put him in the kitchen area with mum when he was about 3 weeks old so he got used to lots of noise (vacuum etc) I have a sheltie and a pom inside as well and he is allowed to get out and play with them sometimes. He is 6 weeks old now but I still have him with mum so she can play with him and hopefully teach him some manners lol.

Also had 2 singletons. Not a problem. As Dunwarren posted don't isolate, out in busy area of the house at 3 weeks & careful interaction with other dogs. Take out early for walks & to see the world, carrying puppy of course.

Mine both grew to be lovely boys with no issues & didn't do much that was special with them.

I had a singleton and he is the most outgoing beastie ever! He went to work with my husband a couple of times from 6 weeks and the secretary (my sister) spoilt him (and taught him to sit!) while I was at work (Husbands work is 'clean'/ no dogs so it was ok) he was with me most of the time and had time with the big dogs when we were doing stuff around the garden (always supervised).

I wonder if all the one on one interaction makes the especially confident ?? Mine is a gun with people and dogs unless its just inherited from his equally full on mama :rofl:

Ohhh my, baby pugs are GORGEOUS!!

:laugh:

We've had quite a few singletons over time and every one was quite spoilt, taken every where, (carried around) and exposed to sooo much. (Mums never had any milk so were bottle fed as well.) If mum is interacting with the pup then she will certainly teach doggy manners. But none of our singletons were ever put off by being the only one, in fact it made us spend more time with them, which led to very well adjusted babies/adults.

I've had two in my time..one born of a litter of one, and the other the survivor of a disaster litter. In both cases, I was fortunate to have other litters around but in the first case, they were a lot older so it was hard to get them used to others and learn how to share.

I did make sure that he had 'friends' to snuggle with and once he was big enough to handle the boisterousness of the others, he just blended into that mob.

With the survivor, there was a litter three days older and by the time she was 2.5 weeks, she got plopped into them when mom was outside having a pee, and we all never looked back. Seems Mom dog doesn't count real well and when her numbers went from 7 to 8 she never gave it a second thought!

post-2225-1288902045_thumb.jpg