Why Is It So?

Steve

Is it that those making laws do really think its better for a dog to die than have its voice lowered?

Why wouldn't they? The RSPCA and the APDT along side the Government must share the view that a dog is better off pts than be rehabilitated with the use of a PPCollar, given that they are the ones who support the ban. And one could say the same of them for the use of the e-collar, use of which has saved many a dog and actually proved less stressful to the dog than the training tools these orgs support.

Going back to the originality of the thread, I'd like to know, out of all the laws that have been introduced, what marked difference have any of them made to the improved welfare of dogs? Anyone have any stats on that?

ETA: Also what might be interesting to list, is what marked difference have any of the introduced laws made to the detriment of dog welfare. I could name Judy Garde's dogs for one (or for 12, if we count each dog).

Edited by Erny

Okay I went off and thought about this. The reason people jump up and down screaming for more laws is because when they see things happening they say to the RSPCA why aren't you doing anything. To which the RSPCA answer because we can't if we had more power we could. People of course believe this and then start demanding more laws.

At no point does anyone ever point out that the problems are due to laws that already exist not being enforced so people believe that it's due to the law being inadequate.

The RSPCA wants more power and more money so of course that's what they are going to say. There is no way that they will admit that they only go after soft targets because most of the big commercial farms have the funds to fight them in court which is exactly what they don't want. It also doesn't help that the likes of Hugh Wirth have their own agenda and use all these issues as a way to get more control to fore fill that agenda. The CC's are too intimidated to actually do anything and so the cycle continues and the laws just get more and more over bearing without anything actually improving.

Could we here draft a letter explaining why we feel ; More legislation is wrong.

The detrimental effects it will have.

why it will not solve any problems.

and a Better alternative.

Post it on Dol and any other other web site related to companion animals,send it to registries and governing bodies asking for support and signatures as a petition?

We could all help with some one good at that sort of thing responsible for tying together various submissions into a cohessive and comprehensive whole,informative document.

ie;Some one could write explaining how breed specific bans are failing.

another on effects for registered breeders etc.

effects on rescue,How such action as that proposed will drive the pet industry into the hands of comercial pet farmers/puppy mills,The problems with giving too much power to a single body such as the R.S.P.C.A with no one to answer to etc.

Edited by moosmum

Why is it so?

A beagle weights around 12 kgs full grown. A stud bull weights around 1200 kgs. Yet I can keep a hundred bulls on my property and no one cares about what I do with the poo - with 6 beagles what I do with my dog poo is a major drama and I have to have special septic systems to deal with the dog poo to get my planning permit.

6 beagle's poo is about half a bucket all up per day and a cow's poos is about [at least] 3 bucket loads a day. I would have to have 36 Beagles to make as much poo as one cow.

In a 100 acre area in suburbia based on average numbers of dog ownership stats there could be up to 2000 dogs in that space yet on a rural property with no close neighbours you need to jump through incedible hoops to be able to keep 10 dogs on the same amount of land.

I can kill a rat in a trap and allow it to take hours to die with broken bones or poison it and allow it to die slowly over a period of days but if I kill it by putting it in a freezer I will get a thousand dollar fine and animal cruelty charges.

I can get the vet to kill my dogs but I cant get the vet to debark my dogs. I cant get a vet to dock my dogs tail but I can get them to inplant fake testicles.

Very strange world indeed.

Basically Steve I think it comes down to greed and because they can. If the farmers stopped farming we'd all starve, but anything else it seems is open slather. Council's want permits for anything they can now.

Not sure where to start myself. All the letters I sent out recently just got brushed off. It feels like the whole DD bill again.