Hot Line For Animal Cruelty.

Steve

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pd...-conference.pdf

State Government Funds New Animal Cruelty Hotline: Whan

October 30, 2010

Primary Industries Minister, Steve Whan, today said NSW has a new weapon in its fight against animal cruelty, with the State Government funding a hotline phone number for people to report suspected animal cruelty cases.

Mr Whan announced the hotline at the inaugural RSPCA conference in Sydney, where hundreds of RSPCA staff including inspectors, shelter staff and vets gathered for the first time together under one roof.

"This year our Government has supplemented its annual grant of $424,000 to the RSPCA with a further $30,000 to create a hotline for reporting animal cruelty," said Mr Whan.

"Mistreated animals can’t communicate their suffering, but this is another way for the RSPCA to give them a voice.

"The 1300 CRUELTY hotline for reporting animal cruelty will make the RSPCA more accessible to the community, particularly for those outside the Sydney metropolitan region.

"The hotline will complement the current cruelty report pages on the RSPCA NSW website and will actively highlight the plight of abused animals in our communities.

"I commend the RSPCA for this new initiative and am sure it will be a valuable way for the public to bring animal welfare abuses to the notice of authorities."

RSPCA Chief Executive Officer Steve Coleman said the organisation was thrilled to be supported by the NSW Government with the 1300 CRUELTY number.

"The hotline will greatly assist our regional branch network and hopefully encourage residents of regional NSW in making contact with us so we can help," he said.

Mr Whan today told delegates at the RSPCA NSW annual conference that the NSW Government continued to support the organisation because of the value of its work.

"Since the introduction of the first prevention of animal cruelty legislation early last century, the RSPCA has acted on behalf of the NSW Government as inspectors of animal welfare.

"The RSPCA has been working this way for more than 100 years, and has been especially active in enforcing the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1979 in recent years.

"We recognise the services provided by the RSPCA and its ongoing efforts in reducing cruelty to animals, and provide significant funding in recognition of its’ work.

"In addition to its enforcement role, the RSPCA also provides assistance in response to emergencies and delivers programs which help communities across the State respond to animal issues."

To report animal welfare abuse, you can now call 1300 278 3589 (1300 CRUELTY).

Great news about the hotline Steve, now how about some more people to attend the called in cases?

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pd...-conference.pdf

State Government Funds New Animal Cruelty Hotline: Whan

October 30, 2010

Primary Industries Minister, Steve Whan, today said NSW has a new weapon in its fight against animal cruelty, with the State Government funding a hotline phone number for people to report suspected animal cruelty cases.

Mr Whan announced the hotline at the inaugural RSPCA conference in Sydney, where hundreds of RSPCA staff including inspectors, shelter staff and vets gathered for the first time together under one roof.

"This year our Government has supplemented its annual grant of $424,000 to the RSPCA with a further $30,000 to create a hotline for reporting animal cruelty," said Mr Whan.

"Mistreated animals can’t communicate their suffering, but this is another way for the RSPCA to give them a voice.

"The 1300 CRUELTY hotline for reporting animal cruelty will make the RSPCA more accessible to the community, particularly for those outside the Sydney metropolitan region.

"The hotline will complement the current cruelty report pages on the RSPCA NSW website and will actively highlight the plight of abused animals in our communities.

"I commend the RSPCA for this new initiative and am sure it will be a valuable way for the public to bring animal welfare abuses to the notice of authorities."

RSPCA Chief Executive Officer Steve Coleman said the organisation was thrilled to be supported by the NSW Government with the 1300 CRUELTY number.

"The hotline will greatly assist our regional branch network and hopefully encourage residents of regional NSW in making contact with us so we can help," he said.

Mr Whan today told delegates at the RSPCA NSW annual conference that the NSW Government continued to support the organisation because of the value of its work.

"Since the introduction of the first prevention of animal cruelty legislation early last century, the RSPCA has acted on behalf of the NSW Government as inspectors of animal welfare.

"The RSPCA has been working this way for more than 100 years, and has been especially active in enforcing the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1979 in recent years.

"We recognise the services provided by the RSPCA and its ongoing efforts in reducing cruelty to animals, and provide significant funding in recognition of its’ work.

"In addition to its enforcement role, the RSPCA also provides assistance in response to emergencies and delivers programs which help communities across the State respond to animal issues."

To report animal welfare abuse, you can now call 1300 278 3589 (1300 CRUELTY).

I don't understand why they need to give $30,000 for someone to answer the phone :love:

Anyone, anywhere australia wide can look in the phone book or dial directory enquiries & find the number nearest to them.

They will answer the phone & take the details.

I assume the calls will be passed on to the closest branch & inspectors will respond from there as time & staff allows anyway.

What use is this ? Its just more work & complaints going through more channels.

The money would be better spent improving facilities or saving more animals.

I don't understand why they need to give $30,000 for someone to answer the phone :(

Anyone, anywhere australia wide can look in the phone book or dial directory enquiries & find the number nearest to them.

They will answer the phone & take the details.

I assume the calls will be passed on to the closest branch & inspectors will respond from there as time & staff allows anyway.

What use is this ? Its just more work & complaints going through more channels.

The money would be better spent improving facilities or saving more animals.

yes had the same thought.

why bother with another additional ? "HOT" line?

only thing i can see is its just like the govt depts another addition to office staff costings thats already catered for as you said.

Yep thats what I think - Id also like to know how they deal with vexatious complaints.

First thing I thought too actually. A single hotline is a great idea providing they have the services to back it up. And yes, RSPCA complaints are being used more and more in rescue/show politics which does nothing for the RSPCA or for our credibility as a pure breed dog fraternity. Not sure how they get around that tho' - the 000 services have also had a shocking time with fake calls. Maybe they have some strategies that can be applied.

I don't understand why they need to give $30,000 for someone to answer the phone :thumbsup:

Surely a person answering such a phone should be employed? I wouldn't work full time for only 30k, and a full time hotline would need more than one staff member. So it seems a ridiculously small amount really. :rasberry: Also taking into account equipment, dispatch softeware, running costs etc....

Centralising things like this doesn't necessarily work. Answering phones on a local basis can be much more useful as local issues are know and taken into account - like prank callers etc.

I think it's a PR exercise - like most things the RSPCA do. Designed to make people think they're doing more good, regardless of effectiveness. Having people on side means higher donations, which is what it's really all about.

Mistreated animals can’t communicate their suffering, but this is another way for the RSPCA to give them a voice.

No, it's actually another way for the COMMUNITY to give them a voice.

Lets hope the RSPCA gets off its organisational arse and investigates rather than kicking in doors to harass breeders with a camera crew along. They're meant to be an animal welfare organisaton, not A Current Affair. :rolleyes: