How Do You Choose A Good Breeder?

Steve

Oh well I dont agree with you.I dont think these questions can be fudged anywhere near as easily as most and the answers tell you everything you need to know about the breeder.I think pet owners can learn to ask these questions just as easily as they have learned the stuff thats been circulated to date.

But do they want to ask questions of that nature? And do they want to do the research to ensure they understand the answers? Some will, but I expect they are the ones that would ask those questions anyway, without any prompting.......others will prefer to rely on what they see and what they're told.

Isn't that why registered breeders are supposed to adhere to a code of ethics?

To me, this sounds like an excellent breeder, the type of breeder I would love to get my dogs from. Pardon my ignorace, why would she be considered something else? Are any of those practices you just mentioned frowned upon in the breeding world?

Because she doesn't show her dogs. She's really lovely, very knowledgeable about the breed and dogs in general, imported one of her stud dogs to diversify the gene pool she was using....he is Benson's dad.....but her agenda isn't that of the show world.

However, a bitch from one of the early litters she bred took out RBCC at the age of 10 in last Saturdays Aussie speciality champ show, and that is no mean feat for any breeder. So although she doesn't show, her dogs are definitely not unrepresented in the ring, and many of them do brilliantly and have multiple titles in other arenas such as agility, obedience and herding.

I personally don't think it matters if a breeder shows or not and I think it's the shallow minded that feel only someone who shows is a good breeder.

If your breeder breeds because she has a passion for the breed and she is improving and contributing to the quality of Aussie sheps in Australia then in my opinion that is worth more credit then someone that just shows their dogs and breeds with anything without much thought.

Your breeder to me sounds like a wonderful breeder.

Oh well I dont agree with you.I dont think these questions can be fudged anywhere near as easily as most and the answers tell you everything you need to know about the breeder.I think pet owners can learn to ask these questions just as easily as they have learned the stuff thats been circulated to date.

But you're speaking from a position of considerable knowledge so the answers would tell you a lot. A puppy buyer who does not have your background, or indeed, the background of an average DOLer might find these answers which I have completely made up quite credible:

'How did you become educated and stay up to date on issues relating to the science and issues relating to dog breeding in general and things which specifically affect your breed?"

I've been in the breed for 40 years and am a member of the breed club which has an active health program. I am also an active member of DogsNSW. X and Y is a problem in our breed but I have eliminated it from my program.

Many people wouldn't ask "and what is your involvement in the health program, have your dogs been tested through that program, I note that there is no test for Disease ABC how do you address that" etc etc.

"How did you choose which dogs to breed?" What were the biggest challenges for you in producing this litter?"

Both dogs are healthy with great temperaments. One is a therapy dog and the other a BIS winner. I didn't face any significant challenges, I am very experienced.

If the breeder did start talking about bringing in X dog to fix pigment or preserve X type the newbie would probably start to glaze over unless they were a real dog geek, in which case they'd already have kicked tyres all over town.

"How do you assess whether what you have done has been successful?"

If the dogs are happy and healthy and well loved. Of course, I have also bred X champions and Gr Ch Kafoops has won 3 Royal BIS more than any other breeder of this breed.

Plenty of people who would stomp over the still twitching bodies of their competitors and double up on known health problems in an effort to snag a BIS will say to puppy buyers that a happy home for their healthy puppies is priority number one, when it just isn't. The newbie has no way of knowing that.

Plenty of people who would stomp over the still twitching bodies of their competitors and double up on known health problems in an effort to snag a BIS will say to puppy buyers that a happy home for their healthy puppies is priority number one, when it just isn't. The newbie has no way of knowing that.

Bwaaaahhhhhaaaaaaahhhaaaaaaaa!!! :cry: ;) ;) :o :D

Such a way with words.

Guest belgian.blue
I've recently decided on a good way to identify some bad breeders, and that's when they are almost impossible to squeeze information out of! Even if they do happen to be doing everything 'right', what use is it if they are unwilling or unable to communicate properly with a potential buyer for one of their puppies?

I have followed this same lead and own two very awesome canines ..

When I first looked into getting a Belgian Shepherd, I spoke to a breeder who had a female looking for a home for many hours over the week before Ivy came to me. She was able to speak with amazing confidence about the breed and her dogs. She made a very large effort to ensure Ivy was coming to the right home. I had to send yard photos before Ivy was mine. She was also beyond anything with answer my million questions when Ivy arrived and she still does over two years later.

When it came time to find my second breeder for Pointers I had a little trouble but took my time and yet again found a breeder who knew anything and everything about the breed. She had imported a stud male [badgers father] from Scotland and allowed me contact with the breeder in Scotland, whom I am now friends with. Willing to answer anything and everything. Badgers breeder wanted to keep him as a show dog [i have had this confirmed to me by his fathers breeder in Scotland] but she was willing to allow Badger in to my family as a non show pet. I am ever so grateful as he is a stunning boy.

I won't hesitate to ask these two ladies in the future about breeders for me or family members/friends :rofl:

However, a bitch from one of the early litters she bred took out RBCC at the age of 10 in last Saturdays Aussie speciality champ show, and that is no mean feat for any breeder. So although she doesn't show, her dogs are definitely not unrepresented in the ring, and many of them do brilliantly and have multiple titles in other arenas such as agility, obedience and herding.

Great acheivement! Sounds like her dogs are well represented out there in more ways than one, and they are doing the breed proud.

Great acheivement! Sounds like her dogs are well represented out there in more ways than one, and they are doing the breed proud.

Goes to show that some people just have an eye for a dog regardless of if they show/trial etc their dogs or not. Some people who do show etc don't have an eye for a dog, some people do.

This person obviously has it. I have heard of these dogs before and the ones I have seen do very well for themselves.

My thing is health testing.

I want to know what your breed should be health tested for and then I want to know if it has been done with the parents of the puppy.

I don't why to hear why that person in particular doesnt need to do it, I have heard it all before and had a dog die at 8 and a half from a disease that didn't needed to be tested for as it wasn't in their blood lines. So I don't like to be spun crap.

I want to know the temperment of the parents as I will have done my research and know what they are generally supposed to be like. I have a certain type of temperment I am after.

I like honest open people and while I understand not everyone is a chatty people person I don't want to have to drag answers to my questions out of people.

I also want to be asked questions regarding what I am planning to do with the dog ie showing, obedience, companion etc. where the dog will be living.

I LOVE before and after puppy contact (just ask my breeders!) so would be put off by someone who doesn't care after the sale - although I guess by then it is too late, but would never get another from them.

I am quite honest and open with what I want with my puppy so I expect an honest evalutaion of the puppy they are going to send me. I know that they can change when away from their litter mates, but I want to know if they are really outgoing, really quiet or shy.

To me the benchmark of a good breeder is what they produce. I'm not necessarily talking about how much their dogs win or how well they do in point scores either.

Word of mouth from happy dog owners would be my recommended method of starting the search for a dog. Or, for those who know a couple of good breeders (doesn't matter what breed) a recommendation from one would be good to have.

A great breeder may have all the charm of Vlad the Impaler, the PR skills of Attilla the Hun and the computer skills of a Neanderthal but its the dogs they produce that matter. I figure I"m buying a dog, not a friend. The after sales support is very nice to have but a good spiel and a charm offensive is no guarantee of getting a great dog.

I'd say at least half of the top Whippet breeders in this country don't put their dogs in the point scores here. At least a couple probably struggle to find the on switch for the computer :p A schmick website doesnt' mean happy healthy dogs of good temperament (doesn't rule it out either).

Edited by poodlefan

A schmick website doesnt' mean happy healthy dogs of good temperament (doesn't rule it out either).

Recommendations from friends and people who are happy with a breeder is the best way of choosing. Not show wins, not a schick website, nor whether they have fandamntastic answers to your questions.

Anyone can talk the talk, but can they walk the walk?

Edited by *Bones*

As a pet dog owner, I could ask those questions, the breeder gives the answers, and that's that, I'm happy?

I think people who deal with dog issues, breeding, etc on a daily basis tend to forget that the average person buying a puppy isn't going to have any idea about health issues, etc and they see a breeder as being the knowing one with all the answers.