Yelping/crying When He Ate A Bone

Winterpaws

I gave the boys some turkey necks for dinner tonight. I'm not normally a bone feeder as Charlie can get a bit food posessive but figured with these they could eat them straight away and there would be no remnants to guard

But when he was eating his second one Charlie started yelping and whining. I put the other dogs out and let him out of his crate and he stopped almost straight away and then raced back and ate his last neck.

He seems OK. Gums normal and he had a small drink of water then

Vet said to just keep an eye on him and if he appears to be in discomfort then to take him down

Has anyone else had this happen - just need some reassurance :confused:

I gave the boys some turkey necks for dinner tonight. I'm not normally a bone feeder as Charlie can get a bit food posessive but figured with these they could eat them straight away and there would be no remnants to guard

But when he was eating his second one Charlie started yelping and whining. I put the other dogs out and let him out of his crate and he stopped almost straight away and then raced back and ate his last neck.

He seems OK. Gums normal and he had a small drink of water then

Vet said to just keep an eye on him and if he appears to be in discomfort then to take him down

Has anyone else had this happen - just need some reassurance :confused:

Yes...one who scoffed a chicken wing, obviously it hurt going down but she was perfectly fine after the brief discomfort and funnily enough never did that again!

Edited by Aziah

I know our youngsters often gulp down things which are too large.. and scream blue murder as it makes its way down.... whether this is what happened in your case, I don't know . Could have bitten his lip/tongue, could have got scratched by a bit of bone....

Hopefully he enjoyed the rest of it without incident:)

I know our youngsters often gulp down things which are too large.. and scream blue murder as it makes its way down.... whether this is what happened in your case, I don't know . Could have bitten his lip/tongue, could have got scratched by a bit of bone....

Hopefully he enjoyed the rest of it without incident:)

This was the case with my little reply above Pers :confused: she never did it again, always chews probably now!

Edited by Aziah

Thanks everyone :cry:

He is fine and yes I think he may have swallowed in an awkward way - he scared the bejeesus out of me!!!

I've watched him like a hawk and he is fine - gums look good, bouncing around like his normal self so he should be OK

Lol ... and yet we can do the same and with tears streaming from our eyes and words cussing from our lips, and nobody cares.

I'm sure your dog is ok but I agree - it can be worrisome and none of us are ever comfortable about our dogs yelping.

Guest belgian.blue

The main reason my two are only fed large bones they HAVE to chew and take their time eating.

I once watched Badger swallow a whole chicken frame and he will never get them again. I don't want to risk choking on something he is going to swallow hole. Leg bones may be strong on their teeth but my two are large dogs and they need RMB. I watch them and the bones last ages as they chew and don't have any interest at all in swallowing them.

Just had to share :cry: and I'm glad Charlie is OK ;)

The main reason my two are only fed large bones they HAVE to chew and take their time eating.

Hmm, until they chew a piece off their large bone and swallow it anyway. :thumbsup:

Yep - I have one that swallows things bigger than her throat, screams then does it again next meal. I do worry a little if she is damaging herself each time and could end up with an issue later on, but separating her from the others (they're fed in crates side by side) doesn't alter her behaviour so not sure there's much I can do.

To be honest I am really not sure what possessed me to give them bones as I never do because of the issues we have....

He has tried to vomit a couple of times this morning but I think it was just a small piece of bone as did a sharp piece on his bed this morning. Of course this all happens on the day when I don't have my car here....

I'm monitoring him and he looks fine. If he looks like he is going downhill I will try find a friend at home to come take us to the vet

Never again will I do the bone thing - I end up a complete stress head

Oh and I have a kilo of turkey necks left in the fridge :thumbsup: