Phantom Pregnacy Vs Real Pregnacy

voloclydes

you dont get puppies at the end LOL.

I have a bitch who did ALL the signs, even producing milk.

nothing.. nada.. zilch...

...tart she is......

My girl even had false labour ..digging ,nesting ,panting for over an hour ..man that really threw me ..was then thinking oh maybe one hiding somewhere

But NO ..all in her mind !!!

mm i guess time will tell...and i reccon i asked for that one! as in no pups..

me i thought there might have been some difference other than no pups.

do they get over it or do they need hormones or some sort of physco therapy! :shrug::):laugh:

if she had managed to get in a "family way" she would basically be due... yes nesting boobies look full., yes gained weight but if she were due anyday.....

there would be some thing to feel... surely... i have felt and massaged carefully and no normal signs.... nothing to feel... so unless its one minuscule pup.....

or she has dropped em .... born dead.

If she was pregnant and has had them, then she'd look different...they really do look like an "unstuffed" sausage.

If you're really concerned, then a trip to the vet for an xray wouldn't be out of order. That is probably the only definitive test at this stage.

sure as has any other dog round here who had puppies, but will it right it's self if she is just left to run her course?

dogie has been away since 26sep... so almost 6 weeks.... home only a few days.

not a social doggie so a whole trip to town and vet is ok, but not something you can do while going to town as a long trip.

as in what happens do they have false labour as well?

(boy if she does i will need a shrink!)

Phantom or pregnant that is the question. I have been fooled before, thought she was pregnant for sure did an xray but she had lots of gas so I thought puppy must have been behind gas as she continued nesting, panting swollen vulva, loss of cervical plug, the whole works so Took her back for ultrasound and sure enough ------ no puppies

Many people aren't aware that a bitches body tells her, each and every season that she IS pregnant, whether mated or not. This is one of the reasons it is safer for the bitch to desex her early in her life. Otherwise, her uterus takes a battering and it gets harder and harder on her with each season.

Bitches who have phantoms or false pregnancies have hormonal imbalances that aren't switched off if she doesn't conceive. Not every bitch that has a phantom will do it again. And just because a bitch has a phantom doesn't automatically mean that she is fertile either.

well unless it happened while away, although she had no other dogs around and was in season some time before she went on trial.....

i will i think give her some time to see how she goes in case she is going to come into season again....we will get her done soon now she is looking like staying here for life....i wanted to make sure, what was going on. i have not the bucks in the next few weeks as the boss... hates me now and seems to have cut my shifts so food and bills come first.

i have never seen a phantom and was very intrigued as i knew it might be more common than i know.

• 2 weeks later...

just an update......

sophie has been on a diet since she came home and seems to be playing with leo like no tomorrow.

there is either a cyclone of playing and romping or they are dead asleep. she has lost a fair bit of weight i would say at least a couple of kg... boobies have shrunk back a bit.... yes she had a litter before being handed on to us.

she is showing less and less signs of being up the duff than ever before. she seems to have a rashy thing on her bottom/inside leg and round her grilie bits, she is worrying it... and is getting cream on it. if not better in a few days she can go into the vet.

my vote is she was phantom! having seen lots of preggers doggies in my life she sure looked it...i would have betted $50.00 on it a week or so ago...